Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


When does the weather stop you riding?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

alfie698
Nova Slayer



Joined: 28 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:53 - 16 Nov 2005    Post subject: When does the weather stop you riding? Reply with quote

Just passed my DAS this summer, and I've been commuting everyday ever since on a mix of country and city roads.

Now that summer has gone, when do you look out the window and decide "Bugger this for a game of soldiers, I'm getting the bus to work!" Question

I rode to work today although it was frosty, and it wasnt a problem, but it might get icy tonight. Should I put my faith in the gritters, and only stop when it snows?

Cheers
Alfie
____________________
Ted: "These are small; the ones out there are far away."
Dougal: "I still dont get it, Ted."
https://www.bikepics.com/members/alfie698
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pj25
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:59 - 16 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i stop when either my 6months tax run's out, or the gritters starting putting the dreaded salt on the roads.
____________________
wasnt me, honest!!!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ali-b
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 19 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:03 - 16 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't ride in snow/ice...thats about it...cold/rain/wind/tornados are fine, but I don't like the fact that two wheels on ice isn't fun (have you tried riding a push bike on an ice rink - most amusing)

A.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Apr 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:05 - 16 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main roads are usually alright. Think about what it's like at each end though. I live on a fairly large estate and work on a business park, neither of which ever see a gritter. I weigh up the odds, if I think I can get there ok then I'll ride, if not I don't take the risk.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

amber
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 14 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:05 - 16 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't have a choice but to carry on - can't drive and too far to get bus (train takes 2hrs and costs £16 a day!!)

salt will ruin my bike but when it hits 30,000 miles it will only b worth about £500 so just get a new bike jan 2008 to use in gd weather and gpz for crap wintery weather, me thinks!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

LustyLew
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:06 - 16 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only thing I haven't ridden in is ice. I have ridden in snow, wind rain, hail... The lot! I wouldn't ride in the snow again if I had a choice, but all of London seizes up to a standstill so there's no other means of getting home!
____________________
Like a Yorkie - I'm not for the girls Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

IronMaiden
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:16 - 16 Nov 2005    Post subject: I have ridden in snow, wind rain, hail... The lot! Reply with quote

Move to South Africa, over here we ride in temp's of 25 degrees to 30 degrees and above. The heat coming off the bikes engine cooks your inner thighs to a golden crisp - you kinda feel like kentucky fried chicken on wheels. Embarassed It' gets so hot here, I've heard of guys frying eggs on their petrol tanks. Snow? I dream of snow........you lucky fish!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

All the best

Cyndi Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ginguar
Traffic Copper



Joined: 19 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:27 - 16 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have riden in every kind of weather (snow is pretty rubbish as you can't see and it gathers in your lap, then slowly melts, horrible). I tend to stop when it is so icey that I have to ride along with both feet on the ground in a kind of ski/ice skating sort of style.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

headlamp
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Nov 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:55 - 16 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

When there is 3" of snow over sheet ice - which fortunately doesn't happen too often on the congested roads of London! Wink
____________________
Using a mobile phone while driving a car should be made a capital offence!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Redd
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:09 - 16 Nov 2005    Post subject: Re: When does the weather stop you riding? Reply with quote

alfie698 wrote:
when do you look out the window and decide "Bugger this for a game of soldiers, I'm getting the bus to work!"


When there's more than an inch of snow lying on the ground or there's some serious ice. I missed two days last winter because of the weather. As for getting the bus to work, since I've just moved house I've got no idea which buses go where Rolling Eyes I'll work from hone when the weather is really bad.
____________________
Professional Uberslacker
2006 Kawasaki Z1000 - Black at the front, airbrushed fade to red at the back.
1998 Kawasaki KDX 200 Enduro project bike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:42 - 16 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i don't ride i don't earn, nor do i learn, so i have to ride. i can occasionally get away with using the school bus when i don't have work afterwards, but i've learned my lesson about not using dual carriageways after ice put me on my arse last year

Jack
____________________
www.bikepics.com/members/jackcheese <--- NOW FOR SALE! 51 Plate Cagiva Planet 125
Quacker_boy: "Jack, you really are a dick!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Valver
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:59 - 16 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rode 15miles to work in 2 inches of snow this morning, not very nice Sad
It's still snowing now and if we were a two car family then i'd be taking the car tomorrow.
No public transport here so i don't have a choice but if i had the option then the bike would be locked up til March apart from the odd nice day.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ISLAND GIRL
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:04 - 16 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I plan to keep riding to work and back for as long as possible but must admit I am a bit concerned about the icey roads when they come, may have to walk these days, its not worth breaking my neck over.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CoronaBoner
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:07 - 16 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

ISLAND GIRL wrote:
Well I plan to keep riding to work and back for as long as possible but must admit I am a bit concerned about the icey roads when they come, may have to walk these days, its not worth breaking my neck over.


Same as me, not lookin good for tomorrow, -3 and worse Shocked should be interesting.

My hands suffer the most as my gloves are basically summer gloves, i have winter gloves but they are to thick and have crap grip.
____________________
2004 RSV Factory

Cluck cluck chicken
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tsmith
Traffic Copper



Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:12 - 16 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

when the black roads turn white, I take the car. I've tried riding in snow and ice and got quite far but then crashed when I (gently) applied the brakes. Really cold weather makes the fairing brittle and hitting the road results in it shattering into loads of pieces Embarassed
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

vfr800
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 28 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:37 - 16 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wind and rain i take on the chin, when it's frosty or snowing i'll jump in the van (not only do i wear the biker badge i'm white van man aswell) i'm lucky to have the choice, if you don't, take care, the snow you can see the ice you can't until it's too late.
A cheap trials bike is fun in snow, and it teaches you what to expect when the rubber let's go.
____________________
don't take it easy 'ride it like you stole it'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

steveh
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:41 - 16 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

ridden in all conditions,
Doesnt bother me untill it gets to the point were i cant feal my hands nor my feet, but i still keep going as im a stubarn bar steward.
Only thing i dont like is ice, for obviose reasons.

Steve.
____________________
Current : 06 Zx10r, 07 Wr450f SM, 74 850 norton commando, 63 bsa b40, 1962 Triton 650, 67 Triumph Tr6r, 1955 Triton 750, 1978 TY250E.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kevsterjw
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 25 Aug 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:52 - 16 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no ther choice, will have my feet out when icy on the estate etc and tight turns, other than that i'll just be taking it very easy. But gotta get to work one way or another.. I can cycle, motorcycle, or run/walk Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Valver
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:20 - 16 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Really cold weather makes the fairing brittle and hitting the road results in it shattering into loads of pieces


Thats why i ride a £650 bike for commuting. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mrchips
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:22 - 16 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 2.5 years I've rode every day in all weathers. Now I've got a car the bike only comes out on a good day. Never had confidence in the wet and never found it fun riding in the wet, so bike only comes out in the dry now.
____________________
Northern Irish? www.nibikers.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

LUXY DJ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:44 - 16 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When does the weather stop you riding?


a crash? Rolling Eyes

iv rode in the snow before on my scooter & it was MADNESS! & having a black visor made it even worse i was wiping it every 30secs then if i lifted it i got mouthfuls of snow Mad but i made sure i was only going about 10mph but im sure ill go in any weather unless i slide out on the 1st attempt from home then ill leave bike there

or just get spike or chain tyres Mr. Green
____________________
GSXR750
(FAR FAR from standard) www.gixerjunkies.net
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mattsmith95
Traffic Copper



Joined: 03 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:23 - 17 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is snow or ice on the road, that's it, I'm not going anywere!!

Apart from that, nothing else will stop me.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

riichy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:36 - 17 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i walk to college when its icey//could be icey or snow Mr. Green Thumbs Up










riichy
____________________
.......... PLOD ............ zx636 2004
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JO5H
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:11 - 17 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsmith95 wrote:
If there is snow or ice on the road, that's it, I'm not going anywere!!

Apart from that, nothing else will stop me.


same as what he said
____________________
********SUZUKI GSX-R 600 SOON!********

add me to msn and we can chat. [email protected]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rookie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:21 - 17 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will stop if it's pissing it down and it's freezing. I can take one or the other, but not both. If it's snowing or frosty, forget about it. The cold affects me too much to ride when I'm shivering hard. I have the option of the bus and when I pass my test the car, so if I'll be more comfortable on those, I think it's worth the sacrifice. Not that I have the option at the moment. Mad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 320 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 1.28 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 125.89 Kb