Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Bike not starting

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

BadDog
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:10 - 23 Nov 2005    Post subject: Bike not starting Reply with quote

Since I got my new 636 two months ago, the NC30's been sitting in the garage.

I fully intended to ride it, but by the time I got a chance the battery was dead (thanks in part to the Datatool alarm). So at the NEC I got a battery charger and charged the NC30's battery. Tried starting it and the starter motor turns over, but no joy. Checked all the fuses including the Datatools. Put the fuel tap on reserve just in case, tried with the choke out.

Dunno what else to try. Any suggestions?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bidman
Crazy Courier



Joined: 01 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:20 - 23 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the plugs make sure there all sparking, then check the fuel make sure its getting through, maybe just give it a bit of a service, new plugs, oil filter, oil etc..
____________________
Don't ride it, RAG IT!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

fuzz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:39 - 23 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with my NSR - it had been sitting under a cover for a couple of months.

I thought the CDI had gone, but I managed to get the spark plug firing. Still wouldn't start, so I stripped it down (tank off, airbox off, carb off) cleaned it up and put it all back together. Fired up straight away without even a hiccup. Thumbs Up
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/fuzzbcf/
Bikes: '99 NSR125R, '00 SV650S, K1 GSX-R600, '97 CB500, K3 SV1000S, '16 VFR800
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

fazed
Korn is my hero!



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:26 - 24 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change the Fuel, Check the output of the battery it might not be holding charge now (Cold Weather etc), If that fails check the plug's and take the carbs off get rid of remaining fuel in them and check to see if the jet's are clear . Hope this helps. Thumbs Up
____________________
gixxer thou K6 , Cbr400 gullarm x 2 , cb400 superhack.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:21 - 24 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

NC30s are a pain for the carbs blocking up, especially the left hand two (sitting on the bike). I'm guessing that you left the bike on it's sidestand? The left two carbs end up with more fuel in the bowls and the fuel then goes off after a month or two. You will now need to take the carbs off and clean them with carb cleaner.

When you are putting the carbs back on, smear some clean engine oil on the carb inlet rubbers or you will not get them back on. I had to put my full weight on mine and I found it easier if I located the rear ones first and then pushed the front ones in. You will get a proper 'clunk' when they finally pop back into place.

Cheers

Grim (missing his old NC30)
____________________
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

BadDog
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:48 - 24 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urm... always, no matter what...







check the kill switch



Embarassed Rolling Eyes



On a lighter note, thanks everyone for replying - and would like to say that the little '30 was a joy to ride in this morning. Compared to a brand new 636 Ninja, it felt like it had better grip (well, it inspired more confidence anyway (maybe 'cos I've already dropped it and wouldn't be that bothered if I dropped it again)), marginally better handling and didn't really feel that lacking in power (especially after 8000rpm).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:53 - 24 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadDog wrote:
check the kill switch


Ya' dumpling Laughing
____________________
Past: Honda NSR125R >> Kawasaki ER-5a2 >> Kawasaki ZZR-600e1 >> Suzuki GSXR-750Y >> Honda VTR 1000 Firestorm
"Chickity China the Chinese Chicken..."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:14 - 24 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOH!

This is why I believe that every killswitch should stop the bike even turning over, not just kill the spark. It would save hours of peoples time every year.

Cheers

Grim
____________________
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bidman
Crazy Courier



Joined: 01 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:30 - 24 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry mate weve all done it Very Happy Thumbs Up
____________________
Don't ride it, RAG IT!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

loply
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:15 - 24 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Killer on my Yamaha just turns off all the electrics as I gather - No spark, no starter, no neutral light, nadda.
____________________
Yamaha SZR660 Caution to the wind, the throttle pinned!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 319 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.67 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 65.43 Kb