Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


The theory

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:04 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: The theory Reply with quote

What a truck load of shite.

The test seems to have become harder since I did it back in March, I failed, by 1 question, as in I got 29.
So pissed off, I read a little bit of the book I passed with last time, the last time most questions were straight forward and just common sense. I nearly got caught out by one particular question as the wording could have placed it in a trick question box, I mean why try and trick you, your anxious anyway you just want the question straight forward so you can give a straight answer, you don’t get trick questions on the road.
I have booked again for this Thursday but I am worried now, I mean the DVLA etc are robbing all of us blind at the moment, it will only go up in price, the practical now worries me, I was ok before.
The theory is now around £20, they even have the cheek to only state what ‘area’ you got the questions wrong in, not the actual questions, so how the fu*k are you supposed to learn from that?
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Old Geeza
Back in my day...



Joined: 25 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:20 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: Re: The theory Reply with quote

killa wrote:
...so how the fu*k are you supposed to learn from that?


You sound just a tad annoyed, killa Sad

Good to see you're letting off a bit of steam here and not at the test centre.

Chin up, and the best of luck on Thursday Thumbs Up


____________________
Horse Power was safer when the Horses had it!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:41 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone love my signature or something LOL
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

fuzz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:52 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did loads of test questions form the CD-ROM and passed with 35. Basically this meant doing tests of 50-100 questions and getting 95% on them. There was hardly a question that couldn't have been answered correctly Smile

It wasn't a case of memorising the questions, but the way in which they ask you the trick questions. They seem to follow a particular layout. Once you've seen a few of them, you can spot them and deal with them.
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/fuzzbcf/
Bikes: '99 NSR125R, '00 SV650S, K1 GSX-R600, '97 CB500, K3 SV1000S, '16 VFR800
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Old Geeza
Back in my day...



Joined: 25 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:54 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
Everyone love my signature or something LOL

Ah, but...

Did they copy yours or did you copy theirs ? Wink

Chicken & Egg syndrome Confused



____________________
Horse Power was safer when the Horses had it!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:05 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: Re: The theory Reply with quote

Personally, I don't see a problem with it.

There are a lot of situations in the road that 'can' trick you.

Personally, I don't see there being too big an issue with it being a 35/35 requirement (though maybe with a free retest if you got minor ones wrong).
Yes, I have got scores of 33 and 34 when I've done them, so not perfect here either.
Stopping distance questions do annoy me though and I do think are a bit stupid.

Also, they tell you to look in the appropriate section because it's likely you've not understood other parts of that section as well. You are supposed to have learnt it all, so it's not going to help just re-learning that specific question if you don't get it next time.

Think you'd be pretty annoyed if someone that had just passed their test ran into you because they hadn't understood a particular sign or similar.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:02 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Old Geeza wrote:
Toby R wrote:
Everyone love my signature or something LOL

Ah, but...

Did they copy yours or did you copy theirs ? Wink

Chicken & Egg syndrome Confused




Not really, cos I know I had mine first Smile

That's phantomtek and killa now LOL
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DrJustice
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 04 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:35 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brought a book with all the answers ,but you have to learn about 1000 Shocked
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:49 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just passed mine. They asked some stupid question about towing trailers Confused

clarkson made the best point "an aston martin can stop in half the distance from 70 than what the dsa say the breaking distance is therefore it should be allowed to go twice as fast!"
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Old Geeza
Back in my day...



Joined: 25 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:38 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
I...clarkson made the best point "an aston martin can stop in half the distance from 70 than what the dsa say the breaking distance is therefore it should be allowed to go twice as fast!"


Unfortunately, the majority of The Highway Code remains unchanged for (oh, I dunno') about 50 years I suppose. It's also based on physics, gravity and diplomacy, rather than technological advances and the real world of today.

IMHO: The Highway Code needs a massive and serious overhaul to bring it up-to-date. It's simply too 'Lah-dee-Dah' for today's road conditions and attitudes. Not just of the drivers and bikers, but also pedestrians and cyclists.

When did you last see a young pedestrian actually 'look' before they crossed a road? They're too engrossed by the music on their MP3 player, being played so loud it's bursting their ear drums. So, they're 'deaf' to the world (and traffic) around them.

Also, when did you last see a young cyclist actually 'look' before they went, well, anywhere really? If they're not scaring pedestrians on the pavement, they're riding down the middle of the road in the wrong direction of a one-way street Shocked

Rant over.

The Nurse has just brought my medicine, so I'd better behave myself for a few minutes Wink


____________________
Horse Power was safer when the Horses had it!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

haGGard
Nearly there...



Joined: 13 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:48 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlucky Killa Thumbs Down

I hate the trick questions too Neutral Got a few of them on my car theory, but managed to get 34 in the end...

The stopping distances for a car in the Highway code are based on a Ford Anglia i believe which if i remember correctly has brakes made from cheese, so yes i think the highway code needs refreshing just a bit Wink
____________________
chaff mans random tingz on loot Razz
"Why dont you go and weld your face to a moving train, you sack of pus" - tobyr
"ROFL MY TOFFLE I AM TEH 1337 SPELLING MISTAKE FINDER!" - BikerBen
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Aikman666
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:22 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRICK THE TEST CENTRE'S WINDOWS!
____________________
Will work for petrol
My Design Blog
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:24 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, at least some of you admit it is rather stupid.
I can understand having everyday questions on there but shit about trams and wind are just fucking ghay.
There is a lot of hate in me for these people, the guys in there are so serious and grumpy, I don’t know why and it makes you nervous. Well not me, because I have taken this thing 3 times since beginning to ride, but you know what I mean.
Waste of time, seriously if you know the obvious ones, the other shit comes with experience.
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:27 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Third time lucky I guess Wink


(tis a joke)


Just keep running through practise questions when you are at work Very Happy
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

nc30 chick
Traffic Copper



Joined: 13 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:44 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can understand having everyday questions on there but shit about trams and wind are just fucking ghay.
There is a lot of hate in me for these people, the guys in there are so serious and grumpy, I don’t know why and it makes you nervous. Well not me, because I have taken this thing 3 times since beginning to ride, but you know what I mean.
Waste of time, seriously if you know the obvious ones, the other shit comes with experience.


It sounds to me like your going in there unprepared, the test is easy if you are ready for it.
those 'stupid' questions about trams and wind! There are still trams operating in the uk and a person taking the test may live in that area or sometime in your driving/riding career you may go to a place that still has trams running, as for the wind, on a bike the wind can sometimes pose as a problem so if somewhere has a sign about sidewinds then personally I would like to know about it. They arent so stupid really, just covering for all eventualitys and locations. As for thinking its a waste of time, thats the wrong attitude, the test is there to check wether you know the highway code which is actually quite important when on the roads. You should know it. Revise the book again and re-take the test. If you are prepared for it then you will pass it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DrJustice
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 04 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:47 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aikman666 wrote:
BRICK THE TEST CENTRE'S WINDOWS!


I felt like doing that when I failed my bike test ,was thinking of trashing instructors bike ,cos he failed me for a really crap reason !
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

biggerjohn
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 11 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:06 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrJustice wrote:
I brought a book with all the answers ,but you have to learn about 1000 Shocked


Reading through 1000 questions and there answers with an explanation as to why it is the right answer is an excellent way to learn about any subject.

That’s not cheating its learning
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

0ddball
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:39 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a case of sour grapes. Yes some of the questions are a bit strange but it still doesn't make them hard. Anyone of moderate intellegence should pass easily if they use one of the many computer based teaching discs. You obviously have the intellegence so i can only think you were over confident and didn't bother to read up on it properly.
____________________
ZXR750L
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 307 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.74 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 104.32 Kb