Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Lose the "<=25kW", change my address?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

carvell
Scuttler



Joined: 05 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:29 - 29 Dec 2005    Post subject: Lose the "<=25kW", change my address? Reply with quote

I used to be limited to 25kW, as I suspect many are! I know that they don't remove it from the back of your licence when your 2 years expires, I also know that it doesn't apply anymore.

At the moment I currently live away from home in a house near Uni, I've not bothered to change my address on my licence because I still go home in the summer etc.

If I were to change my address (which is free) on my licence to my Uni address, would they remove the <=25kW?
____________________
Yamaha TDM 850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!



Joined: 05 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:30 - 29 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt the DVLA would be clever enough to do that.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Old Geeza
Back in my day...



Joined: 25 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:38 - 29 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you apply for change of address, include a separate letter requesting the removal of the <=25KW.

They should oblige, but you may have to pay extra Thumbs Up


____________________
Horse Power was safer when the Horses had it!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Old Geeza
Back in my day...



Joined: 25 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:46 - 29 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davo wrote:
I doubt the DVLA would be clever enough to do that.


Believe me, the DVLA are far cleverer than you might think.

On the whole, they won't make changes to any licence unless it's been requested. Apart from change of name (commonly due to Marital Status) and/or address, they are allowed to charge for just about all other changes. It cost me £10 about 300 years ago to get a single endorsement removed from my licence Mad


____________________
Horse Power was safer when the Horses had it!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

carvell
Scuttler



Joined: 05 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:03 - 29 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm a bit of a gamble then, I don't really care about the address, I just would like the <=25kW thing to not be on there forever, cos I can see the police getting confused by it and not understanding that it doesn't apply anymore.

I'll try sending it off with a nice note asking for it to be removed, and see what happens.
____________________
Yamaha TDM 850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Old Geeza
Back in my day...



Joined: 25 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:13 - 29 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

carvell wrote:
...I just would like the <=25kW thing to not be on there forever, cos I can see the police getting confused by it and not understanding that it doesn't apply anymore.


Won't happen Thumbs Up

The Police can read, ya' know. And they know how to read a driving licence.

The '<=25KW' is dated if you look closely. I'm sure PC Plod could work out that it no longer applies Wink

What's more worrying is the fact that you've almost convinced yourself that you're gonna' get pulled by the old bill - ha! Shocked


____________________
Horse Power was safer when the Horses had it!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

carvell
Scuttler



Joined: 05 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:20 - 29 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not dated on mine, well it is dated from the 29/9/03 (when I passed) to 30/6/56, the reason I want it got rid of is for the reason that there is no date on it at all that corresponds to 2 years after I passed, it relys solely on the policeman knowing that there is the 2 year rule and that it doesn't apply anymore.

I know someone that got into a half hour argument with a beat bobby on the side of the road who pulled him over for something minor (he got let off anyway). It culminated in him being arrested by the beat bobby, then dearrested by the traffic cop who happened to be passing.

I don't have anything that would suggest that I would be pulled voer, just on the off chance that I am for whetevr reason, I don't want to get into a war with a clueless police man.
____________________
Yamaha TDM 850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
3806danny This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Redundant). Unhide this post / all posts.

mrchips
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:22 - 29 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just send your license off with the letter saying to remove the 25kw thing
____________________
Northern Irish? www.nibikers.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

3806danny
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 15 Aug 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:24 - 29 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you mean the 2 year rule doesnt apply any more?
in what way? just 2 u or every 1?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

carvell
Scuttler



Joined: 05 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:25 - 29 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't apply to me, because I'm over my 2 years.
____________________
Yamaha TDM 850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

3806danny
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 15 Aug 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:26 - 29 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i fort u meant im stuck on 33bhp 4 good Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kram
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:29 - 29 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got till august on my restriction
____________________
FS1E -> SR125 -> CB400N -> CB650 -> FZR600 Genises -> VFR400 NC21 -> CBR900RR Fireblade -> Renault Clio 1.4
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Old Geeza
Back in my day...



Joined: 25 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:31 - 29 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

carvell wrote:
It's not dated on mine, well it is dated from the 29/9/03 (when I passed) to 30/6/56, .


What more do you want ?

It is dated, but from the 24th, not the 29th as you said Confused

Your licence runs out at the end of June 2056.

Think you're worying over nothing really Thumbs Up


____________________
Horse Power was safer when the Horses had it!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

carvell
Scuttler



Joined: 05 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:34 - 29 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant 24th, I can't read.

I was just curious as to whether changing my address would get rid of it, because at the moment anyone would be forgiven into thinking that you are limited to <=25kW until 2056, which you're not.

I was just after a free way to get rid of it, after the argument and hassle my friend went through over it.
____________________
Yamaha TDM 850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Craggles
Traffic Copper



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:36 - 29 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Old Geeza wrote:
carvell wrote:
It's not dated on mine, well it is dated from the 29/9/03 (when I passed) to 30/6/56, .


What more do you want ?

It is dated, but from the 24th, not the 29th as you said Confused

Your licence runs out at the end of June 2056.

Think you're worying over nothing really Thumbs Up



There is no date specifying when his 2 year restriction period is up...

Yes, you could work this out - but that relies on said copper who pulls you over to read the licence properly and understand the rules. Whilst I'm sure most can and are prefectly reasonable people, others (beat coppers?) may not be able to, or may not choose to and could lead to an awful lot of hassle.

Craig
____________________
If this signature is blue, you're riding too fast
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Old Geeza
Back in my day...



Joined: 25 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:49 - 29 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

carvell wrote:
...I was just after a free way to get rid of it, after the argument and hassle my friend went through over it.


Personally, I don't think you'll get it for free Thumbs Down

Many, many, many years ago, I wanted to make sure I had a clean driving licence before I went to the USA for a holiday (car hire, and all that). However, I had a single endorsement on my licence (the one and only I've ever had, I hasten to add - I was young!).

I sent off my tatty old green licence to the DVLA asking for them to change the address (I'd got married an moved house), together with a letter asking if they could remove the obsolete endorsement (10 years obsolete, I might add).

The DVLA returned my original licence and it was stamped very heavily on every section with 'CANCELLED', together with a letter stating that I must re-apply for a new 'Pink' licence, and this would cost me £10 for the privilege.

Thanks, DVLA - not Thumbs Down

So, I think you'll have to pay Confused

Go on. It's hardly gonna' break the Bank, is it?


____________________
Horse Power was safer when the Horses had it!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

3806danny
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 15 Aug 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:52 - 29 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah what does the run out date mean28/12/54? so i cant ride my bike when im 70 odd Question
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:56 - 29 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

3806danny wrote:
yeah what does the run out date mean 28/12/54?


The date your licence runs out. Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Old Geeza
Back in my day...



Joined: 25 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:00 - 29 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

3806danny wrote:
yeah what does the run out date mean28/12/54? so i cant ride my bike when im 70 odd Question


Just means your licence expires on that date - usually when you reach 70 years old Shocked

I don't know exactly what happens nowadays, but I think you then need to take an eye test and some preliminary driving tests (nothing too strenuous though). Then, your licence gets extended free of charge.

I might be talking out of my back passage here, because things might have changed.

Back in my day, Driving Licences were a thing of the future, once they manage to invent the internal combustion engine Shocked


____________________
Horse Power was safer when the Horses had it!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:13 - 29 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not phone them and get this sorted for the rest of us.

Tel 0870 240 0009

Email [email protected]

Ohh from the DVLA web site.

"A full standard category A licence permits you ride any motorcycle with a power output of up to 25kW (33bhp) and a power-to-weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kW/kg without `L' plates, carry pillion passengers and use motorways. You are restricted to a motorcycle up to 25kW for two years (not counting any periods of disqualification). After two years you may ride any size motorcycle."
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:24 - 29 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've emailed them, i'll let you know if they respond.


My email


"Dear Sir or Madam,

I currently hold a Category A motorcycle license, which displays the codes <=25KW ,

I know that this is valid for the first, two years after obtaining the license.

What is the procedure for returning the license to have these codes removed?

I know that legally I do not need to do this, but I could foresee possibly problems as the license

does not make it clear this is for 2 years. In particular for motorcycle use overseas, where the local police would not know of UK law.

Yours"

____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Old Geeza
Back in my day...



Joined: 25 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:38 - 29 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chances are the first thing they'll ask you for is your driver number Rolling Eyes

They're like that Confused


____________________
Horse Power was safer when the Horses had it!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kb-zxr
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 01 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:09 - 29 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, they will want 3 utillity bills, license, paper counterpart, photocard ID, and birth certificate to prove you are who you really are Confused

After doing all that, they will tell you that there nothing you can do Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

impaler
Crazy Courier



Joined: 04 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:24 - 29 Dec 2005    Post subject: Re: Lose the "<=25kW", change my address? Reply with quote

carvell wrote:
If I were to change my address (which is free) on my licence to my Uni address, would they remove the <=25kW?

Yes. End of story. I did it about three months ago Thumbs Up
____________________
Monster m600
Web, blog, Bikepics page
An optimist will tell you the glass is half full. The pessimist, half empty. The engineer will tell you the glass is twice the size it needs to be.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 281 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.66 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 130.9 Kb