Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Long trips

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Rookie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:53 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Long trips Reply with quote

Something's been nagging me lately.

I don't want to take my car to university, so I'm going to sell it come April. This should give me enough money, along with savings, to get a bike and insure it, and then get used to it over summer before taking it to uni. I'm looking at Hornets, SV650s, ER500s, mostly along those lines.

My worry is this; I'm going to have to get the damn thing to the university I end up at. Now this could be anywhere from Brighton (I bloody hope not) to Edinburgh or Glasgow. (Yes please.) So if all goes well, I'm looking at a bloody long trip to get up there, considering I live in Somerset.

Have any of you taken a journey this sort of distance (450 miles or so) on a bike like this? Will an overnight stop be neccessary, or could I make it in one day, stopping for respites every hours or so?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris___
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 13 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:04 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm iv'e not (yet Razz ) done a trip of that length yet but the bike's you mentioned all have up right-ish riding positions so it shouldn't be a problem. 450 miles is still a long way though but you coould probably do it in a day if you set off early and make some stops. Im guessing that the trip would be mostly motorway so its definately worth making stops to stop boredom and getting a numb arse! At the end of the day its up to you whether you spread the trip over 2 days mate, it might be worth as motorways are the most boring things in the world on a bike.
____________________
Yamaha rxs100 > Kawasaki ZZR600 > Kawasaki ZX6R > Honda Hornet 600 > Honda Bros 400 > Suzuki SV650S K2
Bikepics page
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:13 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

God knows how far it is from dartmoor to glasgowish but its about that distance if not a little more. Took about 7 hours I think.

Long journeys are damn easy, just sit at 60-70mph and stop every hour / 100 miles.

People always seem to be scared of distance on bikes. Don't be - Just be prepared.

You sure don't want to go for a hornet if you are planning on long journeys and I don't care what jay12329 says. I'd rather not HAVE to stop every 100 miles but on a hornet you have to. Er5 will do 170 miles to a tank on the motorway if you keep it at 70mph.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Chriss
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:14 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did 300 miles on a Daytona 600, in around 5 hours. Stopping only for fuel (did it once in 4 hours in the early hours of the morning.)
____________________
TheShaggyDA: I've got 3 or 4 pairs that predate my wife, so at least 11.5 years old.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Keen
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Apr 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:19 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did 450 miles in a day once, its a pretty manageable distance. If I was you I'd try and leave in the morning just after the rush hour traffic has finished, get a chunk of it out of the way, stop for lunch and rest, then get going and you'll be there before it even gets dark. Sounds like a pretty good day to me Thumbs Up
____________________
"he who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man"- Dr. Johnson
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Keen
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Apr 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:24 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

instigator wrote:

You sure don't want to go for a hornet if you are planning on long journeys and I don't care what jay12329 says. I'd rather not HAVE to stop every 100 miles but on a hornet you have to. Er5 will do 170 miles to a tank on the motorway if you keep it at 70mph.


Furthest I've been on my hornet so far is lancaster to birmingham NEC (150 miles ish?), so I can't really comment, but personally I like to stop every 100 miles or so anyway... but I couldn't do a big trip going 70 the whole way, the feeling of not getting anywhere would destroy me.

But aside from the tank range, I think the hornet makes an ok distance bike, surprisingly comfortable riding position and seat.
____________________
"he who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man"- Dr. Johnson
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

vfr800
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 28 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:35 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the bike over, top up oil and coolant, adjust the chain, fill the tank and go.
Every time you stop for fuel is your break time.
It's that easy Thumbs Up
____________________
don't take it easy 'ride it like you stole it'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

numark1
Scared of girls



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:40 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say dont do it. I was considering it but then thought fuck that. (going from fleet hampshire to aberdeen university) about 500 miles.

Just go by plane. It's not that expensive, quick and think of how screwed your bike will be. Miles will add up so quickly, it will be worthless in no time.

Maybe when your up there i could cruise down and see you on my jetski, along the north sea. Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Finglonga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:31 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

markcatate wrote:
I would say dont do it. I was considering it but then thought fuck that. (going from fleet hampshire to aberdeen university) about 500 miles.

Just go by plane. It's not that expensive, quick and think of how screwed your bike will be. Miles will add up so quickly, it will be worthless in no time.

Maybe when your up there i could cruise down and see you on my jetski, along the north sea. Cool


Then add the cost for Taxis everywhere as you wouldn't have your own transport. Thumbs Down
I would ride the bike there, after all thats what their for not for sitting in a garage collecting dust. Thumbs Up
____________________
Andy Sez....
F.Y.Y.F.F.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

robboadd
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 24 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:34 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question about long motorway journeys, surely the tyres will square off doing that amount of distance with little use of any area apart from the middle of the tyre?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:36 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

robboadd wrote:
I have a question about long motorway journeys, surely the tyres will square off doing that amount of distance with little use of any area apart from the middle of the tyre?


Laughing

It's not that bad. They won't turn square after 500 miles. Not quite.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:37 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

450 miles isn't that hard.. just jump on and ride...! simple as that really Confused just have your route planned and every time you stop for fuel have a short break/drink etc.. can't see it being bad at all!! It's only on the UK come on! Laughing not some big round the world trip Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

robboadd
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 24 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:41 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, don't take the piss I thought it was a question which the thread would benefit from. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rookie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:03 - 16 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are your tyres made of cork? Wink

I'm going to have to work around what I'm going to do with 'stuff' too. I might just take the hit and get it delivered in boxes via a courier, it would probably only cost £100 or so. Who knows!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

numark1
Scared of girls



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:12 - 16 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finglonga wrote:
Then add the cost for Taxis everywhere as you wouldn't have your own transport. Thumbs Down
I would ride the bike there, after all thats what their for not for sitting in a garage collecting dust. Thumbs Up


For me it will be £45 for the flight £15 for the taxi up there. How much would that be in petrol/tyres?

Plus if i had my own transport i would have to pay for the petrol myself. Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Keen
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Apr 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:19 - 16 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie wrote:
Are your tyres made of cork? Wink

I'm going to have to work around what I'm going to do with 'stuff' too. I might just take the hit and get it delivered in boxes via a courier, it would probably only cost £100 or so. Who knows!


don't you know someone with a van or a pickup to haul it up there for you?

failing that, I bet it would be cheaper to rent a van yourself and take it up that way than get it delivered...

otherwise just ride it! the trip will provide a nice warm sense of accomplishment and then you've got the added benefit of having your bike on campus. Those little uni birds will love it Cool Razz
____________________
"he who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man"- Dr. Johnson
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RickHolt
Traffic Copper



Joined: 17 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:35 - 16 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to London from Manchester on Friday, probably heading up to the northern clique meet (North East) on sunday, then back home after the meet. I can't wait, everyone keeps saying it's a stupid idea though.

Gotta agree with the people saying "Just do it". No point in overthinking a relatively minor trip.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:51 - 16 Jan 2006    Post subject: Re: Long trips Reply with quote

Rookie wrote:
Something's been nagging me lately.

My worry is this; I'm going to have to get the damn thing to the university I end up at. Now this could be anywhere from Brighton (I bloody hope not) to Edinburgh or Glasgow. (Yes please.) So if all goes well, I'm looking at a bloody long trip to get up there, considering I live in Somerset.


Thats not far ,

But get this -

Motorways are fast fast fast (Mancs -> Bristol about 1.75 hours) the end of my trip though through iffy cornwall roads took somewhat longer
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:53 - 16 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

markcatate wrote:
I would say dont do it. I was considering it but then thought fuck that. (going from fleet hampshire to aberdeen university) about 500 miles.

Just go by plane. It's not that expensive, quick and think of how screwed your bike will be. Miles will add up so quickly, it will be worthless in no time.

Maybe when your up there i could cruise down and see you on my jetski, along the north sea. Cool


boy you are right , these last two weeks I put 900 miles on the clocks
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:58 - 16 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

hold on why not fly there and buy a bike at the location you will study trips home can be done by a flight
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rookie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:54 - 16 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because chances are I'm going to be doing it twice a year; coming home for summer, working over the summer, and then going back up when term starts again.

I would buy one there, but I don't want to pass my test, leave it for a few months and then hop on a high-powered bike in a busy city. Plus, the waiting would finish me off! Razz

Keen the van isn't really an option; you have to be 21 to rent them. Plus I'm not talking about hoiking the bike up there, just general crap. Which is why I was thinking of a courier; I don't know anyone who'd be willing to spend 20 hours in a van getting my stuff up there! Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 267 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.6 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 114.76 Kb