Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Buying a bike that's been stored for a year

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

stu125
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 18 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:00 - 18 Jan 2006    Post subject: Buying a bike that's been stored for a year Reply with quote

Hi all!

Ever since my son bought a new Suzuki Marauder 125 last October I've been tempted to get one as well.

My last two-wheeled transport was a Vespa scooter which I sold in about 1975.

I've seen a Marauder on Ebay which is less than 2 years old with only 130 miles on the clock. It's been garaged for a year.

My question is - is there a significant risk that it has been damaged by the long lay-up?

What should I look out for? It's local and I hope to arrange a viewing.

I'd welcome your comments.

Thanks! Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bristol_sports_bikes
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 13 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:32 - 18 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

it'll be fine , just look for obvious things,eg rust ,
then ask the owner to run it and hear what it sounds like,
____________________
honda vfr nc30 1991
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TOM M
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:33 - 18 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could probably do with a good service
____________________
Now owner of a 1200 Bandit
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Psychonaut
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 10 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:10 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battery may be shot, so may need a new one
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

palmer
Fiddled Kiddy



Joined: 21 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:00 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

check for things like rust, siezed bolts, water in the clocks, tyres can go funny if left in the damp for ages, change oil/coolant etc, drain the petrol tank and clear the carb, then refill the tank. check the brakes are still strong, if they are spongy bleed/adjust them. make sure all the lights work, brake lights, main beam, indicators etc. be sure the battery can hold charge.


i guess thats about it.

palmer Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stu125
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 18 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:25 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Thanks for advice Reply with quote

I hope to view the bike tomorrow. From what you've said it seems a good service is essential. What would that cost? I guess around £100? It would be good to have some idea if I'm going to bid for it.

Tanks again.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

18_stuart_88
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:49 - 19 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you contact the owner and make sure he.she doesnt warm the bike up before you view it. You need to make sure it starts first time with ease.

Also when you test ride it just do some minouvers. soft breaking hard breaking. using both breaks. ride it normal and ride it hard. check chain for tightness or slackness.

Good luck tomorrow.

Stu Thumbs Up
____________________
Make: Honda NSR 125 R Year: 2004 Colour: Black And Silver - Died on December 18th 2005, Layed to rest December 30th 2005 :(Make: Aprilia RS 125 Year: 2000 Colour: Black And Red - Derestricted Smile Sold!
Make: Suzuki GSXR 600 SRAD Year: 1998 Colour: Red - White - Blue Mr. Green
Pic of My New Bike!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:06 - 20 Jan 2006    Post subject: Re: Thanks for advice Reply with quote

stu125 wrote:
I hope to view the bike tomorrow. From what you've said it seems a good service is essential. What would that cost? I guess around £100? It would be good to have some idea if I'm going to bid for it.

Tanks again.


You want to do it yourself.

2.5l of 10W-40 Oil ~ £10
Oil Filter
Air filter
Spark plug
WD40

£50? If that, should be half that really if you order parts off the net. I stress that you should do it yourself. You don't need a manual and you certainly don't need to pay someone to do it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jrod
Page 3 Girl



Joined: 02 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:26 - 20 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look in the petrol tank, if its rusty you will probally have to petseal it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stu125
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 18 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:59 - 21 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to see it. It looks immaculate so I've bought it. I took a piccie but it's only a phone camera so the quality isn't that great.

https://www.stul.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Photo0021.JPG

Thanks for the advice. I've booked the CBT and I'll let you know how I get on.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Black Knight
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:03 - 22 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice, how much?
____________________
Where does a turn end? 'Where you can do anything with the gas you want to, where you are brave again, where your attention is free from the turn, where you are sure you can do it better next time; that's the end' - Keith Code.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stu125
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 18 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:06 - 22 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've paid £1100. It's a bit dusty, but not a mark on it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Batfink
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 15 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:14 - 22 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks in excellent condition, even the chrome on the head lamp looks to be unmarked and shiny!

Looks like you have found a bargain!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MattShill
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 13 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:00 - 22 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

As people have said, change the fluids and it should be fine. Better sitting in a garage for a year than being thrashed to hell in all weather.
____________________
Living life in the second overtaking lane!

'98 Kwak ER-5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stu125
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 18 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:11 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again to all the above for all the advice and comments Thumbs Up

Everything is absolutely fine with the bike except for needing a new battery, as expected.

Insurance was cheap enough too, only £78 TPF&T.

I've done a couple of hundred miles since completing the CBT. I'm a bit scared of roundabouts still, and I don't like wind, but I guess my confidence will grow with the miles.

If you see a guy round Cheltenham tottering on roundabouts and leaving his indicator on then that's probably me Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 237 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.87 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 80.59 Kb