|
|
| Author |
Message |
| glenbat |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 glenbat Nova Slayer
Joined: 21 Jan 2006 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 01:10 - 23 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I had a highly tuned 350 2-stroke and it was far too much bike for me to handle. Learned quick though. (Note, I did my test on a 125 before restricted licences came in). ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| EllioTT_GiXXeR |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 EllioTT_GiXXeR Could Be A Chat Bot
Joined: 02 Oct 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 01:30 - 23 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| McGee |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 McGee O RLY?

Joined: 24 Jun 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Cillit-BANG |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Cillit-BANG World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 Oct 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 10:17 - 23 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
The odds are that you'll crash it.
Probably not in a 'kill yourself' type of incident, but the statistics show your likely to have it sliding down the tarmac at some point in the first year or two.
If your a level headed mature person, then you'll be fine with the power, it's suprising how you become used to it. But having said that there is a hell of a lot of power to play with, especially if you've never ridden bikes before, and this can often work against you espically whilst cornering or riding in wet/crap conditions.
Personally I rode a 125cc for 6 months, then did my DAS, jumped on a 65bhp (600cc sportsbike approx 100bhp) 750cc Ducati and have riden it for a year, and am now thinking about upgrading to a 600 sportsbike. Yes, I have crashed it, giving it too many berries round a corner with my knee down, it's easy to get caught up thinking your better than you are, and then the bike will make it's point by spitting you off.
Even after a year 65bhp still feels incredibly fast. I suspect that after riding somthing larger, it will feel slow as feck, but its all relative. 65bhp is seriously fast if your used to driving everyday type cars.
But thats just my opinion.
Insurance is also a major factor. For example a sportsbike at 25 with 0 no claims would have been up near £2k full comp. Which was out of my reach.
Have you considered a 400cc sportsbike, or a 600cc street-bike; bandid, hornet, sv etc? Still all very capable bikes aimed specifically for riders like yourself.
Personally I respect riders far more who have learnt to ride their bikes well, than one's that can ride the fastest down the straights. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| camcam |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 camcam Trackday Trickster

Joined: 04 Dec 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 10:51 - 23 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
A KLR650.
Got around 45hp or so, but a fairly broad range of torque so moderately easy to ride.
Top speed of around 100 or just under sees a /lot/ of wobble from the bars, so you don't tend to get up there that much.
Crashes pretty well, never had to replace anything after a crash apart from a clutch lever.
I did want something quicker fairly soon when I was riding it after passing my test, but I had been riding for quite a few years then, including this same bike previously (but only off road, of course, mr police officer ).
If you actually want to use a 600 sports bike, then it's not for you as a first bike.
If you don't want to use it, why bother with the expense?
Catch 22. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| innominate |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 innominate Brolly Dolly

Joined: 18 Nov 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 11:04 - 23 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I had a Monster, it was pants.
Not a very reliable example of the bike.
Sounded great and was fun to ride, but constant mechanical problems lead me to swap it for a CB500.
Now got an FJR1300, comfy fast & big  ____________________ I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the customs agent. I am the coast-guard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 12:11 - 23 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hi
First big bike after my test (and this was quite a while before 33hp limits, DAS or any of that stuff) was a CB400N (Superdream). Not that quick but heavy and cheap. Good way to get used to having some torque and a decent amount of weight to catch you out, and not much to damage when it does catch you out. Fun bike? Not a hope, but when you pass your test you are still very much a learner (and I had done something like 25000 miles on a 125 before my test).
I would not say to go for a sports 600 as a first big bike. More power, handling and brakes that someone who has just passed their test can use, and expensive results when they make a mistake.
All the best
Keith ____________________ Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| veeeffarr |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 veeeffarr Super Spammer
Joined: 22 Jul 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tom C RX50 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tom C RX50 Nitrous Nuisance

Joined: 30 Nov 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 12:53 - 23 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
They look gay and aint nice to ride. Bad choice. Get a gsxr600 and restrict it till your used to it, then take em out and have some fun  ____________________ **FOR SALE** Aprilia RX50, full system gianelli exhaust, 70cc MK big bore, MK pro race filter, 20mm Dellorto carb, aftermarket sticker set, small plate, carbon look indicators, new rear tyre, years tax and mot, new chain and sprockets, very fast bike. 1200 ono **FOR SALE** |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| the grim reaper |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 the grim reaper World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Jun 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| zaknafien |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 zaknafien

Joined: 25 Mar 2002 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| GearboxGeezer |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 GearboxGeezer World Chat Champion
Joined: 06 Sep 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| akaDAVE |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 akaDAVE World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Sep 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| veeeffarr |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 veeeffarr Super Spammer
Joined: 22 Jul 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| fuzz |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 fuzz World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Mar 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 13:26 - 23 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Still riding my first bike bike, SV650S. Perfect choice for me, I'm so glad that I found one in such well looked after condition. Just under 70bhp is plenty for on the road. I'm after something more sporty now, but I've had this for the best part of a year. ____________________ https://www.bikepics.com/members/fuzzbcf/
Bikes: '99 NSR125R, '00 SV650S, K1 GSX-R600, '97 CB500, K3 SV1000S, '16 VFR800 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Bullet |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Bullet Trackday Trickster

Joined: 06 Jan 2006 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| VTR SP1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 VTR SP1 Brolly Dolly
Joined: 31 Aug 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| craigs23 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 craigs23 Mr Muscle

Joined: 08 Jun 2005 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Simple |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Simple World Chat Champion

Joined: 08 Feb 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 14:15 - 23 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I rode a ccm600 when I was 10, threw it in a hedge and never got on it again
but proper road bike more than a 125 (though the varadero was pretty big ) is my gpz500s
I've dropped it once on christmas eve after I stalled it and lost balance, Its a good bike, looks okay, good on fuel, cheap to insure,
I like it..
so yeh I'd say its a good first bike apart from, I did like to do all my own engine work etc, but there is no way I'm touching shims with a barge pole, tappits and 2strokes I dotn mind..but not Shims..so i have to pay (£70) to have those done.
simple ____________________ Insta - FemFeral |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Simple |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Simple World Chat Champion

Joined: 08 Feb 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 20 years, 259 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|