Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Good Routes in Liverpool/Warrington?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:41 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Good Routes in Liverpool/Warrington? Reply with quote

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows any good biking routes in Liverpool/Warrington that are good for about an hour or 2's blat?

Every time I've gone out I've gone through congested roads with loads of traffics lights or dual carridgeways.

Also, had a scary situation where I nearly got onto a motorway once, do they just come out of the blue usually? I found once I was on the road there was little I could do to get off.

Thanks,

Toby
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

nrml76
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 05 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:59 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The A49 / A51 to Nantwich is about 1 hour from Warrington, if you go at a leisurely pace. You could nip into J&S at Northwich for some gear on the way back. It is reasonably quiet in the late morning /early afternoon and weekends.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

impaler
Crazy Courier



Joined: 04 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:08 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with nrml76 - I lived in Warrington for a year (it was where I did my test in fact) and I always headed south into Cheshire on the A49 when I wanted a non-congested ride out. You can then either head for Northwich, or head west into Wales and back through Chester.

One thing's for sure - don't head west or east Smile

Whereabouts did you have your run-in with the stealth motorway?
____________________
Monster m600
Web, blog, Bikepics page
An optimist will tell you the glass is half full. The pessimist, half empty. The engineer will tell you the glass is twice the size it needs to be.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:12 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liverpool around the Aintree/Childwall area.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

impaler
Crazy Courier



Joined: 04 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:18 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it was the start of the M62... that is one of the least well signed junctions I've ever seen in my entire life, especially at night.

I've always wondered how come it starts at junction 4 too - where the hell did they expect 1, 2 and 3 to be, in the Irish Sea?! Smile
____________________
Monster m600
Web, blog, Bikepics page
An optimist will tell you the glass is half full. The pessimist, half empty. The engineer will tell you the glass is twice the size it needs to be.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

innominate
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:31 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh teh goold ole massive roundabout onto the M58 (where the M57 & the M58 meet)
____________________
I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the customs agent. I am the coast-guard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:46 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

innominate wrote:
Ahh teh goold ole massive roundabout onto the M58 (where the M57 & the M58 meet)


Aye, tis probably it, nearly shat one when I started in the blue signs in brackets.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:48 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what time of day/night you are thinking of going Toby.

The A49 is indeed a cracking ride once you get south of Warrington, in the summer you could ride down to the Stormy Petrel maybe for the bike meet (I think it's a Thursday). Taking the A41, A51 or A54 off it is OK too.

Or head off up the A59 through Ormskirk, then turn off & explore any of the little roads in that area which is kind of a triangle of Ormskirk, Southport and Formby.

Head out on the A55 towards N Wales, take pretty much any of the B roads north or the A525 at St Asaph then find your way towards the A494 and come back via Mold.

A56 thru Frodsham & Helsby isn't bad, go back through Delamere Forest and experience the humps! Wink

A537 from Poplar Services (Lymm) to Chelford, via High Legh and Knutsford, is quite a good road as well. You can call in the Ducati shop for a browse!

A675 from Bolton past Belmont is cool, loads of little single-tracks there to explore and a lot of them lead to Rivi Barn eventually, lots of reservoirs and scenery and stuff.

Only tip would be don't go East, it's shite on a 125 cos you need the motorways to get anywhere good once you're close to Manchester!
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iCraig
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:54 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Toby R your not too far away from the Cat and Fiddle where you are, and thats one hell of a ride, if you couple it with the A54 and make it a total round trip.

Also the A50 is the road where the Ducati shop is not the A537 babyyam. Wink You should know that cos your other half blasts down it if I remember rightly. Laughing

Also why not venture into North Wales, one of my favourite roads is near Llangollen, the A539, I call it the road of death. Its nearly had me off a few times cos the corners are right angles and come from no where but its so much fun, just ask Shaun he scrapes his shit on that road and even goes off road on it too. Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:03 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig- wrote:
Also the A50 is the road where the Ducati shop is not the A537 babyyam. Wink You should know that cos your other half blasts down it if I remember rightly. Laughing



LOL yeah, sorry, that's what happens when you try and be a smart-arse from memory instead of checking the map! Embarassed It's A50 to Knutsford then A537.

My other half does indeed insist on riding past the Ducati shop lying on his tank and absolutely flat out, not sure why. Confused
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:12 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where abouts is the Cat and Fiddle?

I've been to Ducati Manchester (In Warrington strangely lol) and it's awesome! Very Happy

Just had a shit ride back from work so not really in the mood at the moment!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iCraig
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:15 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The A537 or Cat and Fiddle is the road between Macclesfield and Buxton, and gets its name from the Pub atop it. The highest pub in England IIRC.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nrml76
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 05 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:17 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the road to Macclesfield.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:17 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat & Fiddle is also on the A537, but you have to go through Macclesfiled and out the other side.
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 258 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.29 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 83.77 Kb