Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


white in the engine inspection glass

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Simple
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:21 - 26 Jan 2006    Post subject: white in the engine inspection glass Reply with quote

my R registration GPZ500s gets: ridden daily, frequent oil changes, stored ina cold damp shed.
Should I be worried about condenstion on the inside of the inspection window?

what can I do about it?

If i take the bike for a long run 30miles or more, so it gets upto decent temperature, the white is gone, but the next morning it is back,

when I remove the oil filler cap there is no white/creamy paste in it.


suggestions please?
simple
____________________
Insta - FemFeral
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:26 - 26 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Condensation in the INSIDE? Something tell's me that's not a good thing, unless oil produces a condensing moisture when it gets warm, I'd say that any sort of water inside the engine is a bad thing.

Wouldn't listen to me though, I'm no mechanic, just bumping this up for ya Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Slickfish
Crazy Courier



Joined: 24 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:29 - 26 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's air in the engine!, if you take the filler cap of the oil's not rite to the top, and unless your are in a very dry environment there will be moisture in the air. thats all it will be.

if no warning lights are coming on anf the oil coming out when you change it isn't full of water that is.


Last edited by Slickfish on 13:30 - 26 Jan 2006; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:29 - 26 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about it too much, if you were getting emulsification of the oil then it would be a problem. As you're not, I wouldn't worry at all. I would check the airbox though and make sure the filter isn't wet, the crankcase breather often goes up into the airbox so it could possibly get moisture from there.

Cheers

Grim
____________________
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Simple
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:35 - 26 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

oki, I was mildly concerned, got oil and a filter ready to go, as soon as I can bear to sit in a cold damn shed long enough to change them.

Shes booked in for her valves to be adjusted and carbs balanced in early february.

I think its because I wash her every night with warm water ( no soap) by hand without a hose pipe, so water gets inside the exhausts, not alot I can do about that. I know in the long term my exhaust are going to corrode from the inside out though, as I regualrily take them off, strip them back and repaint them.

simple
____________________
Insta - FemFeral
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Superlight
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 18 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:37 - 26 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds fairly harmless, as you say the oils itself is ok. A bit of condensation on the inspection glass isn't unusual.

It's worth making sure the crankcase breather isn't blocked, but apart from that, the best way to avoid this is to keep the bike in a heated garage Wink
____________________
You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move but should, use the WD-40.
If it shouldn't move but does, use the Duct Tape.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ancientd
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:02 - 26 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emulsification of the oil is common in bikes that are only used for short runs, normally less than 10 miles each time. The only solution is to use it and go for some decent rides 100 miles plus on a regular basis, a 30 mile run won't do it, it needs to be hot for a long time to drive out the condensation from the oil. Providing you don't get scum in the cooling water you should be OK. Any bike that is kept in a cold and damp environment will suffer this way
____________________
I ride 3 bikes, a Thundercat, an FZRexup 1000 Streetfighter and a Jawa 350 Combo, something for all seasons.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Simple
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:55 - 26 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

When weather picks up I should be doing rideouts at the weekends again, but at the moment I'm scrimping for a set of tyres.

heated garage is not an option, too many holes in various bits of it lol


simple
____________________
Insta - FemFeral
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Craggles
Traffic Copper



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:39 - 26 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the same thing on my GPZ (kept outside - used for 3-4 mile runs during the week and 200-odd at the weekends)

I don't tend to worry about it (have too much else to worry about!)

Craig
____________________
If this signature is blue, you're riding too fast
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

faith183uk
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 15 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:19 - 27 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote] I think its because I wash her every night with warm water ( no soap) by hand without a hose pipe, so water gets inside the exhausts, not alot I can do about that. I know in the long term my exhaust are going to corrode from the inside out though, as I regualrily take them off, strip them back and repaint them.


Why dont you just sick a rag or something in the end of the exhausts, or a small bag held on by a rubber band? then you wont get any water down the can.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

faith183uk
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 15 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:20 - 27 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote] I think its because I wash her every night with warm water ( no soap) by hand without a hose pipe, so water gets inside the exhausts, not alot I can do about that. I know in the long term my exhaust are going to corrode from the inside out though, as I regualrily take them off, strip them back and repaint them.


Why dont you just sick a rag or something in the end of the exhausts, or a small bag held on by a rubber band? then you wont get any water down the can.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:20 - 27 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My SV did this for a while, and it turned out to be the gasket between the waterpump and engine. It had split and some coolant was getting into the oil, giving me some white scum on the oil and mayonnaise under the filler cap. After a long hot run however there was no mayonnaise, just a couple of spots of water under the filler cap.

The fact that its happening every morning does suggest thats its more than just normal condensation to me, maybe a very small bit of coolant leaking into the oil.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:03 - 27 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Some mayonaise is normal on a bike that is used for short journies. Oil takes a hell of a long time to get really hot, but I would expect 30 miles to do the job.

Doubt that water in the exhaust is contributing. It would be difficult for the water to get through the exhaust and up into the engine. Possibly if connected to being washed then more likely would be water getting in through the engine breather hose if it is disconnected (the breather is a pipe to vent air in the crankcases to the airboxes, think it is just a small rubber hose with a push fit onto the crankcases. If it is a mechanical fault then Robbys suggestion of a fault with the water pump is probably the most likely cause.

If you can stand the cold, do a long run and change the oil.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BFG
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:22 - 27 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is likely to be very controversial...

Not sure if you do a long warm-up routine on idle. As a trial, I would suggest riding away as soon as possible and warm the engine by riding gently, rather than letting it warm on idle. See if this changes the situation.

Some engines warm slowly and those that do simply create more condensation as they warm, because the air in the engine heats up quicker than the oil, depositing its moisture on the still cold components. Whereas an engine running at road speeds changes the air in the engine pretty rapidly and heats the oil up faster, leaving less time for water droplets to form.

Not the case on all engines and this idea is subject to lots of differnet interpretations, but it's worth experimenting for a week to see if the condensation amount lessens.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 250 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.99 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 83.86 Kb