Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Polishing

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

www.125power.com
Crazy Courier



Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:12 - 27 Jan 2006    Post subject: Polishing Reply with quote

Hey, all I want to polish my footpegs and other bits and bob's later on today, never polished anything to bare metal before (think they are alu too) they are not painted and i have some clear varnish (for metals) that should protect them from weathering and scratches.
Am i missing something or do i just take the surface off and bring on the wet and dry?

Thanks in advance
____________________
My eBay Items
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:08 - 27 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are different ways of polishing - some favour using chemicals to remove the OE finish and then polish from there, some prefer using sanding discs/polishing mops and what not/other people prefer the pain and blisters caused from wet'n'drying from OE finish to mirror shine.

I used the final method on my RVF, plus a few details on my current Blade - I can get a much better level of control using this method than my lame attempts with polishing mops.

Basically work from a 180 grit up to a 1500, then polished with Autosol, the Belgom Alu. Not laquered or covered with any varnish, as I found this reduces the gleam factor somewhat. Besides, I actually enjoy polishing, so regular cleaning isn't too much of an issue for me (or chore).

RVF:
https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y51/whers84/exhaust3.jpg

https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y51/whers84/DSC00640b.jpg

Blade:
https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y51/whers84/yoke2.jpg

https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y51/whers84/DSC00699.jpg

https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y51/whers84/DSC00775.jpg

More info take a look here:

https://www.400greybike.co.uk/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37710&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=polish

Here:

https://www.400greybike.co.uk/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=32421&SearchTerms=polish

And here for more info:

https://www.schiebel.ca/Polishing/frame_polishing_101.htm
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

www.125power.com
Crazy Courier



Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:05 - 28 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers craig Exclamation
What about protection and maintenance though? Just lots of regular autosol do the trick?
____________________
My eBay Items
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ISLAND GIRL
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:16 - 28 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig, your bike is so nice and shiny, must of taken hrs?? I have started usiing Autosol on my bits, pardon the expression, did my down pipes last wk and looking better already but still could do with another going over again, I guess I will get there eh but not as shiny as yours somehow.
____________________
Live on the Isle of Wight and ride a CBR600F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:00 - 28 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigs23, do you polish all your bits regularly? Or do you have a friend to help with some of it?
Dead *Bling* Bike BTW Thumbs Up
____________________
W-ireless A-rtificial L-ifeform L-imited to O-bservation P-eacekeeping and E-fficient R-epair
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:26 - 28 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just regular polishing keeps my bikes fresh; the Blade isn't used on a regular basis during the winter (that's all about to change once they stop gritting the roads (plus once I've finished what I've started on it)) Thumbs Up

I wet and dried my mate's CB1 forks when I helped out (or rather took over) on its restoration project. He doesn't/hasn't got time to keep on top of the polishing like I seem to enjoy to (alittle too much maybe) so I laquered them for him afterwards. Took away a bit of the shine, but he was happy with them; especially as they've now lasted a winter and just needed regular washing (as opposed to polishing).

The RVF took 9 months to get from bob-standard good condition to the article shown in the above pics. The white wheels and the polished frame were the final 'major' pieces of work I did to it before I sold it on. The bike was used differently to the Blade as well - i.e., it was the commuter bike for that 9 months - in all weathers, so the cleaning routine became somewhat religious Shocked
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SoND
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:00 - 28 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know anything about polishing stainless to a mirror finish?

Would it be the same as aluminium?
____________________
Go back to bed - You have no rights - "Streetfighters ~ Mainstream motorcycling's crackwhore sister."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:04 - 28 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much - although stainless steel is harder than aluminium. Even though gold in colour due to heat - the exhaust system on the RVF was stainless and polished like I polish pretty much anything else (see above).

The Yoshi on the Blade is also stainless, although this only requires a dab of Autosol every now and then.

It's not a perfect mirror and you'll never get as good a shine as you can with chrome work, though doesn't look too bad...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:49 - 28 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Clapping Gotta say that is one sweeeet looking finish
Looks like you must've spent more time cleaning it than riding it??

Only joking - I'm just so jealous Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:40 - 28 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just 'polished' off an 8 oz bar of Belgian Milk Chocolate. Mmmmm.
____________________
W-ireless A-rtificial L-ifeform L-imited to O-bservation P-eacekeeping and E-fficient R-epair
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch



Joined: 06 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:59 - 28 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:
I just 'polished' off an 8 oz bar of Belgian Milk Chocolate. Mmmmm.


bastard!!!

craig's check out my 'my project' thread, take a look at the pics and give me as much advice as you can please, i really need to clean that baby up! Very Happy

sorry for the hi jack
____________________
wizzzard wrote: Imagine God just stopping by, tidying your front room up and then quietly letting himself out again. Statisticly more likely to happen than Korn being on here.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:46 - 28 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Looks like you must've spent more time cleaning it than riding it??


For the last 3 months that's definately true. The bike is crying out for a good thrashing and the waiting is killing me; not long now until the roads stop getting salted though; then it'll be back to regular use. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sam.ashburner
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:03 - 29 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big respect to craigs for that dedication. I've admired that VFR ever since I first noticed it in exchange & mart section.

My Micron can is looking pretty sorry for itself these days (very dull), I guess this polishing method would work on it? (I think it's stainless)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fazerkev
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 05 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:54 - 29 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep seeing pics of your bikes Craigs! truly impressive and good on ya.
I wouldn't dream of having that sort of comitment!

Anyway, I thought you;d be a good person to ask about cleaning my metal.
I have fazer6 and am starting to notice a few smal marks on the heel plates, swingarm, forks etc.. grease spots, small scratches etc. The usual wear.

Now I don't have a drill and polishing it, not do I want to make it supershiny (you mustbe shocked, I know! Wink ). But what can you reccomend for making it look tidier.
Thanks.
Kev
____________________
Kev
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:47 - 29 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam - the chap who makes my exhaust cans can also supply exhaust parts as well - including can sleeves. Mail him on [email protected] to see if he can get a replaceable sleeve for your Micron. If it's just 'dull', a small amount of polishing (Autosol is good for general use) should bring it up nicely.

F'Kev - a similar topic came up on 400greybike; I don't polish all metal surfaces to a mirror finish (don't like my bikes to look too bling) - only detailing is done this way. Metal work (and paintwork) can be polished up to a standard where the material beneath isn't affected - you can soften/blur masks out if you're very careful.

I used a similar technique on my pre-mirror-polished days on my RVF. Heelplates; polished, but only to remove scuffs:

https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y51/whers84/DSC490.jpg

This is done with a VERY light dusting of Brasso (Autosol might work if you're careful, but liquid metal polishes are best for this kind of work) as to not take any metal off - I use a similar method (but now with Belgom Alu) to remove light scuffing/scratches from paintwork).

For metal, this isn't a permenant remedy - you can either repeat the process every few weeks (or when the scuffs appear) or I may recomend a light coat of laquer to give better protection next time round (don't spray laquer in cold/damp conditions though, it won't dry properly).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sam.ashburner
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:58 - 29 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, I'll give him a try
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

riichy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:07 - 29 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

god dam the rvf it clean Shocked
____________________
.......... PLOD ............ zx636 2004
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:11 - 30 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
god dam the rvf it clean


Was - I sold it a few months back, the buyer's relatively local, so I hope to see it again sometime. Wonder if he's kept to as rigorous a maintenance routine?

The Blade has literally been a garage ornament for the passed few weeks - it's crying out for the first proper run of the year; and so am I. Don't think I'll have much trouble keeping it in the condition it is now; if the RVF is anything to go by, it may even get cleaner.... Shocked
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UrbanRacer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:17 - 30 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig23, i'll bring the bike down to yours tomorrow and i'll come back down to collect it on saturday. just the down pipes and the can to be done cheers Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch



Joined: 06 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:10 - 30 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

UrbanRacer wrote:
Craig23, i'll bring the bike down to yours tomorrow and i'll come back down to collect it on saturday. just the down pipes and the can to be done cheers Thumbs Up


haha! cheeky shit! Laughing
____________________
wizzzard wrote: Imagine God just stopping by, tidying your front room up and then quietly letting himself out again. Statisticly more likely to happen than Korn being on here.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 253 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.52 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 110.83 Kb