Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Lost my chain... gah...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

lightfoot256
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 12 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:43 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Lost my chain... gah... Reply with quote

Was on my way to work this morning, riding along happily - was riding a little more carefully than usual with all the new highway-agency peeps floating around when out of nowhere my revs hits the red line and it feels like its gone into neutral... I figured the gearbox had just slipped and went through down the box until I hit first... still not quite sure what was happening I checked, indicated and pulled over into the lay-by... parks up, gets off and voila... no drive chain...

"aaaahhh..." I thinks... makes sense now... oh bugga. Anyways, I Walked back up the motorway to find my chain sitting there just inside the lay-by (thank god I wasn't in any other lane), no link or anything else just the chain... Grabbed it after a couple trucks nearly flattened it and took my bike down the slip road and out of the way. My dad came to rescue me with a new split-link as everything else was intact... but the link arms were juuuuusst too short so we had a mad trawl around leeds until we found a suzuki shop... ended up mixing the links together as neither of them fit with their own pieces and got the bugger home.

I got a spare link when I got the chain so will be switchin em round once I get a chance... I'd been looking after the chain sooooo well since my last one didn't get much more than 8k miles... so only thing i can think of is that the clip broke somehow in between me setting off from work and breaking down...

All in all a nice waste of a day and a nice hole in mi pocket for all the petrol it's cost me - but at least I'm safe! I know things could have been a lot worse.

Heh, also a note that while waiting for my dad only a single person came to speak to me and that was a woman who was lost and looking for directions!!! unfortunately I didn't really know where i was (except J46 off of the m1) and couldn't help her, lol.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

BlackSheep
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 22 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:16 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be glad your left leg is still attached to your body and not sawn off by a broken chain.
____________________
GSXR 1100 StreetFighter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

www.125power.com
Crazy Courier



Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:14 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of that before!!!!, normally over-tight, really warn, or new incorrectly fitted chains that fly off!. You checked out your sprockets by the way. Just for anythign that could have caused that to happen and also that the chain flying off didnt damage any of its teeth.
____________________
My eBay Items
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 240 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 1.35 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 36.91 Kb