Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Just test rode an RSV1000R

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:20 - 28 Jan 2006    Post subject: Just test rode an RSV1000R Reply with quote

Just got back from test riding an Aprilia RSV1000R. Was supposed to be riding a GSX-R1000 too, but they'd run out of fuel on site and the Suzuki had nothing in it. As it was, the Aprilia only had about 15 minutes worth, but better than nothing.

I've liked the Aprilia for a long time. Their attention to detail is impeccible and they design aspects of the bike rather than just building it. The Suzuki thou is the obviously progression for me, as I've owned two GSX-R400s, one 600 and one 750, and got on well with all of them. The plan was to ride them back to back and sort one dilema in my head once and for all; which was best. The other dilema was "do I really need a litre sports bike?". Well, to be honest, I already know the answer to that - to be brutally honest I don't need a 750 for the road and a 600cc sports bike is more than adequate for road use. Doesn't mean I don't want the best though! Wink

Anyway, so I didn't get too long on the bike due to lack of fuel. This is only the second twin I've ever ridden (the first being a Ducati 748). The roads were also damp/wet as well as being very cold so conditions were far from ideal. Last thing I wanted to do was stack a test ride bike, especially after having agreed to the £1000 excess. Didn't stop me giving it some stick, but I was just cautious.

The first thing I noticed about twins is that they pull harder from lower revs. The GSX-Rs are very revvy bikes anyway (in a kind of two strokesque way) so this was very removed from what I'm used to. Comparing the difference in power delivery is almost like comparing similar 2T and 4T bikes; the Gixxer likes you bouncing the needle off the redline and the closer you get towards it, the more you're rewarded with a surge of power. In contrast the RSV's power delivery felt very linear and predictable. Although the RSV has a 250cc advantage over my GSX-R it only creates marginally more power, although torque is up from around 63 to 74lb/ft (which is evident).

On the road the RSV felt very narrow and compact. The only minor annoyance was that it seemed a long way down to look at the clocks. This was the RSV-R version and so is somewhat more trick than the standard RSV. Ohlins front, rear suspension and steering damper (tragically hidden below the yoke), radial Brembo brakes, some carbon bits, and lightweight wheels. I didn't get much of a chance to test handling because as well as being wet and limited by fuel this dealer is situated on the longest, straightest road in history! From what I didn't manage (throwing it past cars, hard acceleration/decceleration, a few bends) it seemed very sorted. It's all I would expect from a bike shod with Ohlins as my R6 works extremely well with them too.

Is it better than my GSX-R? Tricky. I wasn't on it long enough to answer that question, but I can tell you that it's a good bike. I'm not sure I like the incessant drone of a twin over an inline four. They never sound like they're doing any work. Go to the shops round the corner, or blast down a track at three figure speeds and it sounds the same! I like the bike to scream when it's being worked hard. We're going fast, I want to hear it as well as see it. The other thing I like about the GSX-R is that hit of power as the needle climbs. Sometimes it can catch you out when you've been riding around town at 4,000rpm and then open it up onto an A road. The Aprilia seems to provide the linear delivery that would be the same at 2,000rpm as it would at 10,000. Combined with the uninvolving sound, it might lead me to become bored.

Still, it's too early to say. I'm going back in a couple of weeks (when they've learned where the nearest petrol station is) and I'll ride it again, and back to back with the GSX-R1000. Hopefully it'll be dry and I'll get 25 minutes on each so I'll be in a better position to judge.

The RSV is pictured below.

A couple of other things to point out, that I noticed today:
Arrow It is fecking cold today. After ten miles it felt like someone was driving nails into the tips of my fingers. As a side note, don't leave your jacket and gloves in a cold garage during the week and then hope they'll keep you warm when you put them on!

Arrow Cabriolets. What's the point? I came up behind a Merc something or other on my way there. I was shivering on the bike... and he had the roof down! Shocked I'm sure people get these cabriolets and then think they have to drive them with the roof down, just to justify the purchase, regardless of the weather.

Arrow Golf R32s aren't that quick! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:25 - 28 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

An RSV was to be my next bike before I got knocked off and stitched up, so I found your review interesting!

I havent had the pleasure of riding one, but as Im sitting Im being led by my heart and not my head.

It would be very interesting if you were to choose one over your beloved gixers though Laughing

Update us when youve had a better go of it!

Thumbs Up

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 18:35 - 28 Jan 2006    Post subject: Re: Just test rode an RSV1000R Reply with quote

Silver wrote:
I'm not sure I like the incessant drone of a twin over an inline four. They never sound like they're doing any work.

Surprised how can you say should things!! But on the plus said when your riding though town its just as loud (with race can, not with standard)

I think ill get a IL4 next, V-twins sound nice and lovly to ride just would perfere something that screams when you rag it (like you said)

Why you getting rid of the GSXR750 or are you just toying with the idea?

silverfox
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:42 - 28 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

get it mate i've got a 04 model lovely bikes more exclusive than a gsxr 1000 plus it already got trick bits on it i.e. ohlins and oz wheels

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 18:43 - 28 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice write up.

It's not cold you wimp Razz I walked around kempton today for about an hour and a half in only a t-shirt. Cool

Why not try an SP1/2 Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 28 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Villers wrote:
It would be very interesting if you were to choose one over your beloved gixers though Laughing

To be honest, I've liked the Aprilia RSVs for longer, it's just that when I started biking it was never an option because there weren't any older ones (so they were all a couple of years old and expensive) and insurance was a killer.

andy13_uk2 wrote:
Why you getting rid of the GSXR750 or are you just toying with the idea?

Just toying at the moment. I might ride them and decide that I really don't need (or want) anything more than the 750. At least I'll have tried and I'll know.

markcatate wrote:
It's not cold you wimp Razz I walked around kempton today for about an hour and a half in only a t-shirt. Cool

Why not try an SP1/2 Wink

Ever heard of windchill? Bet you weren't doing 145mph through town! Razz

I do quite like the look of the SP2 (although the missus hates it), but for me it's behind the Aprilia in the Twins queue. When I win the lottery...

Bod
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:52 - 28 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, I have a RSV Mille, its a standard model will the RSVR racing chip and exhaust on. All I can say is its a fantastic bike. I love mine to bits, and always, always turns heads. The only down side is the price of parts, they a bit EXPENSIVE.... Laughing Other than that its lovely, I really love my bike. Hope you get it, you wont be sorry.
Bod
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/vwgolfboy/06130001a.jpg[/img]

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:48 - 28 Jan 2006    Post subject: Re: Just test rode an RSV1000R Reply with quote

Silver wrote:
This was the RSV-R version and so is somewhat more trick than the standard RSV. Ohlins front, rear suspension and steering damper (tragically hidden below the yoke), radial Brembo brakes, some carbon bits, and lightweight wheels.

Old shape RSV. How did you feel about it size wise for your height?

By the way, they are not radial brakes Wink .

All the best

Keith

TOM M
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:35 - 29 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

That aprilia is sexy, i want one Thumbs Up Very Happy

Good informative write up Thumbs Up

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 29 Jan 2006    Post subject: Re: Just test rode an RSV1000R Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Old shape RSV.

Yep, rather confusingly the old shape top of the range model was the RSV-R yet under the new shape, the bottom of model is the RSV-R and the better one is the RSV-R Factory... Confused I love the new shape but really can't justify the expense.

Kickstart wrote:
How did you feel about it size wise for your height?

It felt okay, quite comfortable. The only niggle I noticed (like I said) it that it seemed a long way down to the clocks. Don't know how annoying that would be over a period of time, if at all.

Kickstart wrote:
By the way, they are not radial brakes Wink .

D'oh... that'll teach me for reading and not actually looking! Laughing They were very good and responsive anyway.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:50 - 29 Jan 2006    Post subject: Re: Just test rode an RSV1000R Reply with quote

Silver wrote:
It felt okay, quite comfortable. The only niggle I noticed (like I said) it that it seemed a long way down to the clocks. Don't know how annoying that would be over a period of time, if at all.

Good to know as I think you are a similar build to me.

I do think the new ones are gorgeous and fit me rather better.

All the best

Keith

SoND
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 29 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the RSV just as reliable as the jap bikes?

zaknafien

PostPosted: 14:52 - 29 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

New RSV's are stunning.

Drooling Drooling Drooling

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 22:05 - 29 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice write up Thumbs Up Always impressed with the spec from them as a standard, off-the-shelf bike (especially as they're only a couple of grand more than the base model).

Bar the R1-SP thingy, why can't more Japanese manufacturers do that?

The Milles always reminds me of the batmobile from the back end, like 'dem funky looks.

Which do you prefer the sound of?

cc123
Geez a joab?

PostPosted: 22:22 - 29 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only ever had a pop on a SV650 so never really felt the power of a litre V-twin but imagine the gap in excitement and ouuuumfh at top revs wil be the same with an inline-4 to a V-twin 1000.

They just don't excite me, the old 98 R1 I had a go on about a year ago is still awesome to me. I just can't entertain a V-twin.

BobM
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:59 - 11 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice write up. I've just bought an RSV Factory without having a test ride. In fact I haven't ridden a bike for years Shocked - the last bike I had was 19 years ago, a 1976 Ducati 900SS.

I've only recently been given planning permission to have a bike again, and a mate has a GSXR 1000 K5 which he loves. My brother still has my old Duke, and of course reckoned I should have a Ducati. I went to a local dealer to have a sit on a 2002 999 as I'd been warned they were on the small side and I'm 6'5". The 999 seemed fine, but my attention was drawn to the shiny new Aprilias which are heavily discounted at the moment. After 2 days thinking about it I went back and stuck a deposit on the 05 Factory. Should be taking delivery on Monday evening Very Happy

As has already been said, it already comes with most of the fancy bits you'd want on a bike, and at the moment they're ridiculously good value. The Gixxer is undoubtedly a faster bike, but the RSV's a really pretty looking bike and is a bit more exclusive somehow. Also probably marginally less of a handful for an old git like me who can hardly remember how to ride a bike Wink

lurker
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:53 - 11 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hear the sound of broken plastics...
...only kidding, although i would say it would be a good idea to ride it conservatively for the first six months or so.

riichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:56 - 11 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice....

would love one but they are a bit pricy and if they are anything like the 125 will need a lot of time and money Rolling Eyes

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:00 - 11 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

lurker wrote:
...only kidding, although i would say it would be a good idea to ride it conservatively for the first six months or so.

You have no faith? Laughing The RSV is actually marginally slower than my current bike so no problems there if I was going to get one.

Anyway, I rode the GSX-R1000 today and loved it more! Wink

LUXY DJ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:38 - 12 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

why are the pipes SOOOO FAT on the mille?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 02:42 - 12 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

LUXY DJ wrote:
why are the pipes SOOOO FAT on the mille?

Same with most big twins - a lot of exhaust gases to get out Smile.

lurker
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 03:03 - 12 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver wrote:
lurker wrote:

You have no faith? Laughing The RSV is actually marginally slower than my current bike so no problems there if I was going to get one.

Anyway, I rode the GSX-R1000 today and loved it more! Wink

was replying to the post above me from bobm

EllioTT_GiXXeR
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 03:47 - 12 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad prices for the aprilia's over here

https://www.duques.co.uk/bikes/index.php

BobM
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:15 - 12 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

lurker wrote:

Cheers mate Razz
lurker wrote:

Funnily enough I was kind of thinking that myself Rolling Eyes

I'm suitably apprehensive about riding it to be honest - if I'd had a bike like this when I was younger I suspect I wouldn't have lasted long.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 80 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1