Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


dealership or private?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

mike_neon
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 16 Apr 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:48 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: dealership or private? Reply with quote

looking at a gsxr 600, not to sure whether or not to purchase privately or through local dealer ship. what do most people do?

what should i go to a dealership and say i want from them to buy from them and not to go private? looking around and i can get a GSXR for about £2000 or £2100, one particular local dealer has one for £2500. what are the usual squeezing points for dealers?

the only reason i ask, is i am on a tight budget of around £2000-£2500 max, i am put off buying privately as i will n ot be able to tell if i am going to get problems in the near future, and of course there is no come back, and as far as i can see it will be the same with a dealer, accept i will be paying more for that bike Rolling Eyes

any advice?

regards
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dodsi
Dirty Carny



Joined: 06 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:52 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been stung by a dealer, never again

Take someone with you that knows what they are doing and private you will get a bargain, if you shop for it.

In a dealer you pay through the nose and can easily get bad service with this.

plus with £2500 you dont get much in a dealers, Private you will get the bike you wanted.

Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

T1z3R
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:52 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

unless i'm mistaken most folk will tell you to buy private as you will lose a lot of money in depreciation.

i'd tend to think the same myself but i can understand the reasons to buy from a dealer.

if you find a bike you like at a dealer and you're happy with the price etc then go for it.
____________________
duck my sick!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:54 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: dealership or private? Reply with quote

mike_neon wrote:
and as far as i can see it will be the same with a dealer, accept i will be paying more for that bike Rolling Eyes


That's about it.
I'd go privately and take someone that knows what they are looking for.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Misc
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Aug 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:32 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the one in the dealers like? I don't know anything about 600s but for that price on a 600 there must be something wrong with it? If not then it sounds good.

I'm in the same boat as you but i think i'll go private, as it will be too exspensive.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DrJustice
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 04 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:56 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always buy from a dealer due to my limited knowledge ,you often get a warranty which can make it well worth it Thumbs Up And you have a lot more comeback if the bike turns out to be a dud Thumbs Up
____________________
Non Omnis Moriar
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:29 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrJustice wrote:
I always buy from a dealer due to my limited knowledge ,you often get a warranty which can make it well worth it Thumbs Up And you have a lot more comeback if the bike turns out to be a dud Thumbs Up


The warranty is also worth little more than use as bog roll. When it isn't, you can buy similar warranties for second hand bikes and still have saved money.

You do have more comeback, but it's usually a lot of hassle to get any results.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DrJustice
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 04 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:22 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
DrJustice wrote:
I always buy from a dealer due to my limited knowledge ,you often get a warranty which can make it well worth it Thumbs Up And you have a lot more comeback if the bike turns out to be a dud Thumbs Up


The warranty is also worth little more than use as bog roll. When it isn't, you can buy similar warranties for second hand bikes and still have saved money.

You do have more comeback, but it's usually a lot of hassle to get any results.


I've always had very good after sale warranties ,depends who you buy from I guess !
____________________
Non Omnis Moriar
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:30 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned, the warranties are oftens subcontracted out to other companies - these can be purchased for most second hand bikes, from a dealer or not.

If you buy from a known bike shop, then it can be good. But I defintely wouldn't trust a bike shop I didn't know well.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Brava210
Crazy Courier



Joined: 04 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:06 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends if you are "loaded" £££££££ or not Very Happy
____________________
Honda Novio, Puch Grand Prix, Suzuki AP50, CZ 125, Wassell 125, Montesa 348,Honda 125TDC, Suzuki 100ER, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Aprillia Pegaso, Honda PCX125, Honda Forza300, BMW G310 GS, Suzuki SFV650, Honda CB500X

CHARLEY SAYS " ALWAYS TELL YOUR MUMMY BEFORE YOU GO OFF SOMEWHERE"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

fuzz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:57 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
If you buy from a known bike shop, then it can be good. But I defintely wouldn't trust a bike shop I didn't know well.


I can relate to this. First bike I bought was from a dealer. I knew nothing about dealerships at this point, but I got lucky and got a good one. Now I know a few local dealerships, I know which I would buy from, and which I wouldn't go near.

Buy from a dealer, and your are protected by the Sale of Goods Act 1994.

https://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/salegoodsact.htm summarises what you are entitled to.
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/fuzzbcf/
Bikes: '99 NSR125R, '00 SV650S, K1 GSX-R600, '97 CB500, K3 SV1000S, '16 VFR800
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!



Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:02 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

whichever you decide, don't forget to get a HPI check on it! (been bit on the bum by a dealer with this)
____________________
Funny, I used to hate being spanked as a child!
Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:12 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to think that private was cheaper but a dealer wd check over the bike before selling it so there wd be no surprises.

But people on here who work at dealers say that dealers very rarely check bikes over and the extra cos just goes to pay for their overheads.

a private seller doesnt have any overheads to pay for
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ISLAND GIRL
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:46 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brought my bike off a dealer, not only did they pay off my old bike and took it in but they serviced my new one and I got six months warranty on it. Its only had one previous owner and had been looked after. I would worry about buying privately personally but we are all have different reasons for doing what we do.
____________________
Live on the Isle of Wight and ride a CBR600F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Black Knight
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:29 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

No question in my mind. Private, without a doubt. The only time I would use a dealer is if I was buying a brand new bike.

I was speaking to someone yesterday about dealer service. He was saying he had recieved excellent service from Suzuki Centre in York. Thats great, but I find it strange that we have to rave about how dealer have honoured the warranty that they have sold or how thay have fixed the piece of shit they have sold to you.

I recall buying A CBR400 in 97. My first big bike and to be honest I didn't know sweet FA about them. £2400 and it broke down within 2 miles of the forecourt. After pushing it back up, they did fix it but firmly put the blame on me for using too much choke. I didn't realise at the time but now im thinking WFT? Confused
A day later, it stopped again, great! Luckily I wasn't too far away so up the road I push it again. Begrudgingly they repair it and say I have fouled the plugs Confused . They also say they won't fix it again if breaks down.
At a nieve 17 years of age I accepted this but it just shows how dealers will take advantage if they can. This was a main Honda dealer by the way, not some back street merchant.

Its good that trustworthy dealerships exist but we shouldn't have to rave about them. It should be standard service, not an off chance. Often we have to fight tooth and nail to get repair work done, sometimes even on a brand new bike. Its simply not right.


Furthermore, dealers are there to make a profit, they make profit from you, as a buyer. A private seller is usually simply wishing to sell the bike on, usually at a loss (unless you name is Tom Dodds Laughing )

Buy private mate, its the right thing to do. Laughing
____________________
Where does a turn end? 'Where you can do anything with the gas you want to, where you are brave again, where your attention is free from the turn, where you are sure you can do it better next time; that's the end' - Keith Code.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:36 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you pay extra at a dealer, mostly you are pay for reassurance because you trust the dealer over someone you know nothing about
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

riichy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:19 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would say go dealer, if its your first bike or you dont know much about bikes.... the down side is you will always pay more than you would Private.....if you do go private there is the pluss of getting a good deal.. Thumbs Up
____________________
.......... PLOD ............ zx636 2004
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 236 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.15 Sec - Server Load: 0.64 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 95.51 Kb