Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Dragon Rally 2006 (with pics)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 02:07 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Dragon Rally 2006 (with pics) Reply with quote

Friday
Determined to make it down to North Wales in daylight this year. Something we have never achieved to-date due to excessive faffing about so I was cracking the whip. Still didn’t get away before 11am but better than previous years.

Headed out in brilliant sunshine for the boring bit of the journey down the M6 then the M56 and A55. Tank range on the KLE500 isn’t so good so stopped at Preston services for fuel and a tab then again at the end of the A55. Got a shift on, criusing at 90-100mph so there in plenty of time for the more interesting roads.

Had a great whang along the twisties going to Betws-y-coed, road was dry and I even had my sunglasses on. The KLE seems to really enjoy these twisty A-roads to the extent my mate was struggling to keerp up on his SV650.

Anyway, got into Betws well before dark and settled into the B&B. Stayed at Bryn Bella this year again. Very warm, friendly people and they didn’t seem to mind a load of sodden wet bikers descending on them last time we stayed there. Seem to have a fluffy toy thing going on in the house but other than that very comfy and well appointed for £55 a twin room.
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/imm005.jpg

Headed into town for the usual piss-up on the Friday night. Not as many bikers about as previously because the rally site is a bit removed from the town. Staggered back via the 24 hour garage for pies and got a good nights sleep in.

Saturday
Up fairly early for a cracking fried breakfast knowing it is only 50 miles or so to the control point. Weather had broken a bit so yet again the decision to break the journey was justified, we would have been going down the M6 in heavy spray if we’d left this morning.

Set off at a leisurely bimble, taking in the scenery as we went along the A5 up past Tryfan heading for Anglesea. Across the Britannia bridge and onwards down a fairly windy B-road to the control point. Slow going because of the number of trikes and sidecars on the road.

Pulled in at the control point caravan to get out tickets stamped and find directions to the rally. Stayed long enough for a cup of tea because the wind had got up and it was a bit chilly.
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/imm007.jpg

As it turned out, the rally was only another couple of miles at the racetrrack they use to test the cars on the ‘fifth gear’ program. They had the track itself well shut off though. Still being dry got the tents pitched and set off for the usual wander about kicking tyres. Again saw loads of interesting an unusual bikes.
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/site.jpg

Well please with the new tent.
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/imm031.jpg

This trike is owned by a guy we met at the pub. He made it himself in three days and made the caravan in two. Both he and his missus had come in dragon costumes.
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/imm015.jpg

An off-the shelf trike conversion garaunteed to appeal to the tart in everyone.
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/imm011.jpg

This Norton has been everywhere, most Dragon rallies, a few Elephant rallies and all round Europe. He tows a trailer with it too. Note the car alternator conversion and mobile phone charging off the battery.
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/imm014.jpg

A huge Guzzi single, not sure exactly what but unusual anyway.
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/imm013.jpg

Everyone comes to the Dragon by bike, even dogs.
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/imm012.jpg

Chav-tastic C90, good use of rear spoiler I thought.
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/imm017.jpg

Thought this off-road KLE500 combo looked a useful tool.
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/imm016.jpg

Well used and fairly ratty 350LC.
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/imm030.jpg

Very nice looking Bonneville with Hurricane body kit.
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/imm025.jpg

Weather got progressively worse as the day went on so glad we got there early. Started pissing rain as my mates from Derbyshire arrived on a BSA A10, BMW R100 and Silverwing trike. The beesa had spat its dummy again and wasn’t charging but he reckoned there was enough in the battery to get him home.

Onwards to the marquee for soup, badges, commemerative slate coaster (Menai bridge this time) and that ultimate of biker acessories, a dragon rally wooly hat. Drinks in!

Different band this year, very good but a bit ‘background’ type music. Whilst the folk band of previous years were a bit rough round the edges, you could join in with the songs and do a bit of drunken dancing about which certainly keeps you warm.

Sunday
Still pissing it down getting very wet. A few bikes having tantrums and not starting but ours were ok.
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/imm021.jpg
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/imm028.jpg

Got cracking down the road and stopped at Morrisons café for something to eat. Headed onwards through the rain to the bothy in mid-Wales again. Arrived in daylight after remembering the way in along the forestry comission roads and thankfully remembered to take coal for the fire with us. Still warm when we arrived but quite a lot of water had wicked up under the waterproofs, fire soon had everything dry though. Sitting talking shite and drinking wine in the middle of nowhere with a warm fire and the rain battering the windows is a very good thing to do now and then.
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/imm038.jpg
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/imm039.jpg

Monday
An uneventful run up through Wales and back up the M6 saw us back home, just the last 50 miles in was a bit drizzly and unplesant, more due to the spray off the wagons.

All in all, a fairly good run out. I certainly had fun, it was a bit damp at times but what can you expect in Wales during February, at least it didn’t snow this time. I’ll be going again next year.

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:41 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that looks like brilliant fun!

Hered of the dragon rally before a few times, looks good, dont think my gf would go for the camping in the pishing rain bit tho Razz

Maybe next year...

(Is the laser exhaust the "sport" version? nearly ordered one for the transalp, they sound bloody fantastic, meaty)

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 02:46 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is the laser exhaust the "sport" version? nearly ordered one for the transalp, they sound bloody fantastic, meaty

As if I would fit a non-road legal exhaust system to my motorcycle. Perish the thought.

Did you know the "Not for road Use" stamp on the sports version is stamped round the 'neck' of the can where it slips onto the headers? Right where the great big clamp goes to hold it on. And theat there is no other external diference between that and the road legal one? Whistle

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:57 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
... And theat there is no other external diference between that and the road legal one? Whistle

Shifty Well i wouldn't know about that sort of thing i'm sure! you best be carefull not to put the wrong one on Wink

Just noticed the herse, he gets everywhere dosn't he! and the reliant caravan Laughing (ponders)

Stinky
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 04:55 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you guys have fun Smile . Anybody ever thought of doing the GUMBALL 3000?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 05:00 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool write up. Whereabouts is that bothy?

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 06:14 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stinky wrote:
Looks like you guys have fun Smile . Anybody ever thought of doing the GUMBALL 3000?

if i ever own a CBR-RR or 2005 ZX6R or a K6 GSXR600...then yeh i will Smile

stinkwheel looks like a good time, apart from the rain! Laughing

can i asky, why does everyone over there to prefer ride KLE's, i'd choose an africa twin over one of those any day

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 09:57 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool write up Thumbs Up looks very wet though!!!

How many years have you been doing it now? i think i would be fun to that sort of thing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:48 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

quacker_boy wrote:

can i asky, why does everyone over there to prefer ride KLE's, i'd choose an africa twin over one of those any day

Brand new KLE500- £3695
5 year old Africa twin with 40k miles- £2699

KLE gives you a lot of bike for your money. I bought mine at 10 years old but with only 6,000 miles on for £1400. I would also like an Africa twin but the difference in price made the KLE difficult to walk past. They have also stopped making the Africa Twin, there was a new model KLE out last year.

Quote:
How many years have you been doing it now?

My sixth Dragon. There is one guy who has been to 45 of them.

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:35 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked cool, shame about the weather Sad

The C90 is very chav wannabe, awww those German Shep puppies were cute

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 12:53 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Brand new KLE500- £3695
5 year old Africa twin with 40k miles- £2699

KLE gives you a lot of bike for your money. I bought mine at 10 years old but with only 6,000 miles on for £1400. I would also like an Africa twin but the difference in price made the KLE difficult to walk past. They have also stopped making the Africa Twin, there was a new model KLE out last year.

fair enough then, but the africa twins are built like steel shit houses!

planning on using one for my round the world trip with my dad wanna come along on the KLE? Very Happy

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:06 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, If I was going round the world on a bike it would either be something huge and utterly reliable like a BMW R80/100GS or something simple and easily repairable like an MZ 2-stroke.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 13:21 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post, looks like fun.

And the KLE is oozing with mad max cool. Never, ever wash it.

I think stinkwheel managed 5 posts there before mentioning eastern european 2 strokes, good going.

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes

PostPosted: 14:02 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving the Kle. I want. Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:36 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really going to have to do this one year. Didn't realise it was this weekend.

Wonder if I can drag Mo' along.

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:02 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gutted.

I'm totally gutted, I really wanted to go to it this year but I only just got my bike back yesterday from a guy fixing it (still a bit broke now actually Sad). I only live just down the road from Betws so I could of persuaded someone to give me a lift but I guess it's just not the same that way.

Well I'm sure as hell not missing next years Dragon Evil or Very Mad

Lone-Wolf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wotcha.

Ah - the Dragon.
Ain't done one since 1987 - they priced themselves out of the market as far as I'm concerned. I know it's the UK's oldest rally, but for a 'one nighter' with minimal facilities it's damn expensive.

The old Norton in the piccies belongs to Bruce - a fellow who often turns up on our rally, amongst other places.
Here he is at the Wistanstow classic show
Bruce's beastie

As for the strange Guzzi single. It's a Nuovo Falcone - a rather jolly 500 single with a bloody great huge flywheel. Great fun - trust me on this, I've got one Mr. Green
Funnily enough - at the Wistanstow classic show the previous year
Little Green Guzzi

For those still curious about 'em
Bacon slicer 2003

Bacon slicer 2005

Lone-Wolf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wotcha.

Ah - the Dragon.
Ain't done one since 1987 - they priced themselves out of the market as far as I'm concerned. I know it's the UK's oldest rally, but for a 'one nighter' with minimal facilities it's damn expensive.

The old Norton in the piccies belongs to Bruce - a fellow who often turns up on our rally, amongst other places.
Here he is at the Wistanstow classic show
Bruce's beastie

As for the strange Guzzi single. It's a Nuovo Falcone - a rather jolly 500 single with a bloody great huge flywheel. Great fun - trust me on this, I've got one Mr. Green
Funnily enough - at the Wistanstow classic show the previous year
Little Green Guzzi

For those still curious about 'em
Bacon slicer 2003

Bacon slicer 2005

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 06:20 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Nah, If I was going round the world on a bike it would either be something huge and utterly reliable like a BMW R80/100GS or something simple and easily repairable like an MZ 2-stroke.

you think the same as my dad he just wants something nice and simple which is why he's taking his estrella.

plus i don't think i'd be able to get an R80/100GS out here, my dad did a ride back to UK on his F650GS and loved every minute of it, didn't have any problems whatsoever, apart from getting stopped in hungary cuz the cops had the same bike and they thought he'd stolen it! Laughing

ideally, i'd wanna do it on something like this

https://bmbikes.co.uk/photos/photophotos/F650GS%20Dakar%202003Racemachine.JPG
anders This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 71 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1