Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Test Tommorrow!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

nick.h
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:56 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Test Tommorrow! Reply with quote

I have my test for my restricted license tommorrow and tbh im shitting myself.

Today wasnt the best start, as i woke up to it snowing. i spent about 4 hours riding around basingstoke on a cg125, which is a suprisingly pokey bike.

My main problems are:

Entering the wrong lane on big roundabouts.
Not stopping in enough time on ES.
Tapping the rear brake, while im covering it.
Low speed control <10mph

I hope to sort out these problems in the training i have left tommorrow, which is about 3 and a half hours. The roundabouts are the worst as if i repeat any of those mistakes on the test its automatically a fail.

I hope to pass, but im unsure if i will, well ill see how it goes wednesday.

Also good luck to Rookie who also has his test tommorrow Thumbs Up

Nick
____________________
[Italjet MM5A] ll [Rieju RS1 Evolution] ll [Suzuki GS500e] ll [Suzuki GSX600F] ll [Honda CG125] ll [Pug Elyseo 125] ll [Yamaha YZF750R] ll [Yamaha Thunderace] ll [Yamaha R6] ll [Triumph 955i] ll [Hayabusa RZK3] ll [Suzuki RGV250] ll
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:06 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont panic, just think what the instructor has taught you Thumbs Up

Quote:
Entering the wrong lane on big roundabouts


Listen to the comand, 'left turn'are left hand lane, any 'right turn' is the right hand lane. It sounds obvious, but some rounda bout layouts can be quite decpetive, so listen to what the examiner is asking you to do Thumbs Up

Quote:
Not stopping in enough time on ES.


As long as you stop abruptly without locking or skidding, you've passed. Remember , you do not have to stop on the spot, its controlled hard breaking. Dont forget the look over BOTH shoulders and roll bike to kurb, engage 1st and indicate to oull away

Quote:
Tapping the rear brake, while im covering it


I'm not sure whether I still do that Embarassed Try and rest foot on peg properly

Quote:
Low speed control <10mph


Revs, then just balance clutch and rear brake. Its easy once you get the hang of it. Try not to be to tight with the grip, as this is translated to the wobble on the front wheel

Good luck Thumbs Up Laughing
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rookie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:31 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Green Thanks Nick. Mine's at 3.30pm tomorrow.

I also had the problem with my foot resting on the brake, my instructor said to point both my feet outwards when I don't plan on using it. The same applies to the gear lever, as when I rested my footunderneath it when turning left, apparently my toes were only a couple of inches off the ground! Shocked

Lanes at roundabouts; just make sure you plan well ahead so you've got plenty of time to get in your lane. And, obviously, turning right it's the RH lane, otherwise it's the LH lane. I don't think you turn back on yourself on a roundabout, on your test.

I have 2 hours tomorrow morning beforehand. Obviously I'm hoping for a pass, but I think I could be much more prepared; I've only had 1 days intensive so far.

Good luck Nick, let's make it 2 passes! Mr. Green
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:34 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck chaps, hope the weather improves Sad
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:34 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm booking mine on Friday, with no lessons.

Good luck.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam.I
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:44 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick.H wrote:
Low speed control <10mph


I have this problem on the CBT, although it did improve, I still wobble a little bit. It'll come with practice... I hope!

Nick.H wrote:
Tapping the rear brake, while im covering it


I was doing this too. Had to take my foot of the brake and point it outwards.

Nick.H wrote:
Not stopping in enough time on ES


Sort of similar with me, I was stopping in time, bringing it to a controled stop, but the guy was getting pissed of if I didn't do it exactly as he said:

'Accelerate, shut of accelerator, front brake gently, back brake, come of the front and stop.' - This is what he was saying. If you did it right, he was happy, did it wrong and you could see his blood boiling. I hope I don't have him again unless I'm doing it all right.

Anyway, good luck you three.
____________________
Veni Vidi Vici


Last edited by Adam.I on 17:51 - 21 Feb 2006; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nick.h
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:50 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im on at 3:02, i start training again at 11:30, so hopefully i can get some good practice in.

I managed to sort the u-turn first time, eventhough abit jumpy she said it was still a pass.

Ive only had the 1 full days training too, i feel that i need more though, got my works bonus coming through this week, so its looks like it may be spent on more training rather than a new helmet and crash bars Laughing

Nick
____________________
[Italjet MM5A] ll [Rieju RS1 Evolution] ll [Suzuki GS500e] ll [Suzuki GSX600F] ll [Honda CG125] ll [Pug Elyseo 125] ll [Yamaha YZF750R] ll [Yamaha Thunderace] ll [Yamaha R6] ll [Triumph 955i] ll [Hayabusa RZK3] ll [Suzuki RGV250] ll
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nick.h
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:58 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
'Accelerate, shut of accelerator, front brake gently, back brake, come of the front and stop.' - This is what he was saying. If you did it right, he was happy, did it wrong and you could see his blood boiling. I hope I don't have him again unless I'm doing it all right.


I have to do the same, but when i pull in the clutch, i instinctively tap down into first, which your not meant to do.

Come to a stop, pull in clutch, lifesaver left and right, indicate and shuffle the bike to the side.

Pain in the arse i also shuffled my foot away from the gear selector, but that didnt stop my brain still wanting to tap down Laughing

Nick
____________________
[Italjet MM5A] ll [Rieju RS1 Evolution] ll [Suzuki GS500e] ll [Suzuki GSX600F] ll [Honda CG125] ll [Pug Elyseo 125] ll [Yamaha YZF750R] ll [Yamaha Thunderace] ll [Yamaha R6] ll [Triumph 955i] ll [Hayabusa RZK3] ll [Suzuki RGV250] ll
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:09 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well good luck for tomorrow. Hope it goes well for you both.
____________________
1st bike (Sept'06 - May'10) : 1991 GPZ500S / Current bike (since Nov 2009) : 2003 Suzuki Bandit 600N
Word of the day : DILLIGAF
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Foosoup
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 24 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:47 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Good Luck Reply with quote

Have a good one and dont forget to enjoy the ride thats the main thing i did and i passed =D Hope you both do well
Andy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:50 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: Good Luck Reply with quote

Foosoup wrote:
Have a good one and dont forget to enjoy the ride


Good point Thumbs Up
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

tommyboi
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 21 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:57 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

my brother failed on roundabouts on his first go but you should be fine Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jman
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 21 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:36 - 22 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey good luck with your tests. hope the weather has held out for you so far, its raining over here Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:52 - 22 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

gd luck
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

impaler
Crazy Courier



Joined: 04 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:48 - 22 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick.H wrote:
I have to do the same, but when i pull in the clutch, i instinctively tap down into first, which your not meant to do.

I know it's a bit late to be of any use to you lads, but just for future reference... I can say from personal experience that an instinctive gear change during the emergency stop will not result in a fail - I got a minor for doing it on my test.
____________________
Monster m600
Web, blog, Bikepics page
An optimist will tell you the glass is half full. The pessimist, half empty. The engineer will tell you the glass is twice the size it needs to be.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nath
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:58 - 22 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

impaler wrote:
I can say from personal experience that an instinctive gear change during the emergency stop will not result in a fail - I got a minor for doing it on my test.

Bollocks. It's not an emergency stop, it's a 'braking exercise'. What they are testing is your ability to bring your vehicle to a stop in a controlled manner in an appropriate distance. You shouldn't get marked down for changing gears.
____________________
Hard livin', hard luck.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fadel
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 06 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:03 - 22 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't really say 'THIS WILL HAPPEN IF SUCH and such' because it really boils down to the examiners discretion, he might let you off if you tap down, or he might say something like 'I never said tap down - fail'

Just best to stamp out that habbit just for a little bit Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Misc
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Aug 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:08 - 22 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I skidded a bit on mine but you could hear it & then rhode it to the side (Instead of pushing) & still passed, maybe he was in a good mood.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam.I
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:37 - 22 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how did it go guys?
____________________
Veni Vidi Vici
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TOM M
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:45 - 22 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck to all taking thier tests Thumbs Up

Just try and stay focused and talk yourself through each aspect of the test, and listen carefully to what the examiner says Thumbs Up

Just remember if you dont pass, have a bit more training and try again, and dont give up. I passed on my 3rd attempt Thumbs Up

Hope the weather improves a bit
____________________
Now owner of a 1200 Bandit
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rookie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:18 - 22 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who haven't seen the thread in General, I did pass. Very Happy To clarify, I actually stayed in 2nd when I stopped for the emergency, and then left it in 2nd when I switched off! Embarassed I had to turn the ignition back on and put it into neutral to go across to the other side of the road, the guy made me do the u turn directly afterwards. I so nearly didn't do my shoulder checks afterwards! It was a horribly cold day, I was so freezing after the lesson I was having trouble concentrating. Mad

Still, a nice 2 minor pass, so I'm over the moon. Very Happy Now we'll have to see whether Nick got through too! Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fadel
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 06 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:33 - 22 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, Really good to hear hope I can say the same soon Razz Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam.I
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:39 - 22 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Rookie. Hope I have the same good news to tell sometime in the near future.
____________________
Veni Vidi Vici
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Misc
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Aug 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:02 - 22 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie wrote:
For those who haven't seen the thread in General, I did pass. Very Happy To clarify, I actually stayed in 2nd when I stopped for the emergency, and then left it in 2nd when I switched off! Embarassed I had to turn the ignition back on and put it into neutral to go across to the other side of the road, the guy made me do the u turn directly afterwards. I so nearly didn't do my shoulder checks afterwards! It was a horribly cold day, I was so freezing after the lesson I was having trouble concentrating. Mad

Still, a nice 2 minor pass, so I'm over the moon. Very Happy Now we'll have to see whether Nick got through too! Smile


Well done mate, now you can sit back & relax when you read others tests threads Twisted Evil Razz

& hoping Nick Passed too.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

nick.h
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:12 - 22 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a reasonable start, thinking that i had smoothed out the problems of the previous day, it was short lived. I was making silly errors, and got lost twice when circling for my emergancy stop, and couldnt get hold of the U-turn. My riding, in my perspective declined during the day, i pulled a wheely on the up hill start, and missed turns because i thought i heard him saying 'not that left' on the radio. The cold was really getting to me and a began to loose concentration. I was soo nervous for my test, and started planning how i was going to pay for extra training and another test.

The test started ok, the questions were easily answered and we set off for the and heading down the road to a suitable place to do the E.S gand the u-turn, the E.S went fine, stopping in enough time, not lockin the wheel, i thought it was perfect, untill the engine stalled. This put me on a downer for the rest of the test, as i thought that i had failed, this led to other mistakes, i was ready to give up.

I thought he was taking the piss when he said i passed, such an awesome feeling and a great weight off of my shoulders. Didnt do as well as Rookie, well done bro, but a pass is a pass. (8 minors)

My first reaction was to rip my l plates off of the 50, won't be jumping on the 500 straight away though, as the torque of the cg was enough of a big difference compared to my fifty. At the weekend it will be stripped of its fairing, headlight stuck back on, insured, and then me and my dad will go out learning.

Praying for the sunshine for the weekend.

Nick
____________________
[Italjet MM5A] ll [Rieju RS1 Evolution] ll [Suzuki GS500e] ll [Suzuki GSX600F] ll [Honda CG125] ll [Pug Elyseo 125] ll [Yamaha YZF750R] ll [Yamaha Thunderace] ll [Yamaha R6] ll [Triumph 955i] ll [Hayabusa RZK3] ll [Suzuki RGV250] ll
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 228 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.75 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 136.61 Kb