Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Is my bike fooked?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Jonwig
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 23 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:17 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Is my bike fooked? Reply with quote

I've just returned to biking after a gap of around 8 years. I have just bought a secondhand S-reg GSXR 600 with 19000 on the clock from a Suzuki dealer.
The dealer let me take it for a test ride and it seemed fine.

I bought it and had two happy days of heaven.

A couple of days later, I started it up up, waited until it was warm and was just reving it lightly before I was going to ride it. It didn't quite sound right so I held the revs constant at 4000rpm and the bike seemed to miss slightly even so often in a perfect sequence. I got on rode away and it seemed fine.

A day later I was going up a motorway on it at around 60 mph, i turned the throttle in 6th and nothing much happened, I dropped it down a gear and the response was slightly better, I dropped it down another gear and after a couple of seconds it picked up then went unresponsive again. After around 10 mins it came back to life and ran normally again. When I got back I noticed the oil can indication was flashing.

I have two questions:
Does the oil can indication mean low oil pressure or low oil level - as I don't have an owners manual?
Bearing in mind the dealer is ment to have serviced the bike before I got it, Can the oil warning mean anything other than the bike is knackered?

Actually this should probably be in the workshop forum - sorry!
____________________
Man going through airport turnstile sideways is going to Bangkok
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
anders This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

0ni
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:21 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on which model gixxer it is you could be suffering from carb icing. Can you repeat the details?
____________________
Its a lovely day, just wait until some bastard spoils it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Retro-Man
Traffic Copper



Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:27 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

oil lamp normally refers to oil pressure, having said that if theres no oil there will be little pressure.
check your oil level, if it's ok then you could have a major problem. if its low then at best the dealers has cocked up.

agree with oni that the motoway symptoms could be carb icing but when tallied with low oil pressure it points to something major.

I would strongly reccomend taking it back to the dealer and getting rid.

this sort of situation always begs the question why did the prev owner get trade it in Question

Cheers
Retro
____________________
https://domharnessphotography.webs.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Johnny GSX-R
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:25 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbs icing up will cause the lack in power, however 6th gear at 60mph on a 600 is asking a bit much for it to pull away with any vigour.

Re the oil light.... its OIL PRESSURE, take it straight back.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jonwig
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 23 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:56 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions,

OK, I'm a complete bike dunce!
The reason the oil light was on is because I'd turned the engine off before I looked down (so obviously the oil pump wasn't running) - I'd convinced myself, looking back, that I'd looked down with the engine running - doh! Embarassed

So it looks like the only problem I had could be due to carb icing?

It's ran OK this morning and someone at work who's a bit more experienced, in things motorcycle, than me thinks the engine sounds fine, revs freely e.t.c. Mr. Green

Got to go back to the dealer anyway as the speedo doesn't illuminate when you turn the lights on but I think I was just being paranoid and there's nothing wrong with the bike! Thumbs Up

Has anyone got an electronic copy of the owners handbook for a 1998 GSXR 600, I've downloaded the service manual but I haven't got a owners manual. Confused
____________________
Man going through airport turnstile sideways is going to Bangkok
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NC30UK
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 30 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:45 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a fueling issue, perhaps carbs as already stated, but i think its jumping the gun a bit to be blaming carb icing this early on.

Check the fuel piping and fuel filter.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Johnny GSX-R
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:00 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

NC30UK wrote:
sounds like a fueling issue, perhaps carbs as already stated, but i think its jumping the gun a bit to be blaming carb icing this early on.

Check the fuel piping and fuel filter.


And look for what exactly?

If the pipe is split it will piss out and you'll smell it.
Will it have a fuel filter (apart from the gauze inside the tap)?

I'd suggest carb icing due to the weather.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

0ni
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:10 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same model GSX-R as you have and it does suffer horribly from carb icing and the first time it happened I thought something was seriousley wrong.

Try some Silkolene Pro Fst, should cut out any carb icing issues and then you may be able to narrow it down to something else.
____________________
Its a lovely day, just wait until some bastard spoils it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jonwig
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 23 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:52 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

0ni wrote:
I have the same model GSX-R as you have and it does suffer horribly from carb icing and the first time it happened I thought something was seriousley wrong.

Try some Silkolene Pro Fst, should cut out any carb icing issues and then you may be able to narrow it down to something else.


Cheers,
I'll try that. It was less than 4oC yesterday morning and pouring down. I only have summer gloves and thought my fingers were going to drop off after 40 mins!
____________________
Man going through airport turnstile sideways is going to Bangkok
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 226 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.88 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 66.7 Kb