Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Going across the US

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Adam_P
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:22 - 14 Dec 2005    Post subject: Going across the US Reply with quote

Right, as my life gradually plods ever onwards I've finally decided that one of the things on my 'to do' list in my life really needs ticking off before I get a: fatter and b: older.

So, with that in mind, I want to travel across the US on a bike. Ideally (and iconically) it'd be a Harley (Yes, I know! Laughing Brick Wall ) But I really don't mind it being something else.

Now, the way I see it, I have two options.
Arrow I organise and arrange everything myself, which will basically involve hiring of said bike, plotting some sort of route (dependent on how long I have) and maybe one or two hotel bookings. But mostly it'll be pitching upsomewhere and finding cheap lodgings from day to day etc.

Or...

Arrow Going with a tour company, pay a lump sum, just take clothes and spending money and travel across on a pre arranged route, still seeing sights etc, but not exploring maybe quite as far as I would if I went by myself.

So, the question I put to the BCF touring massive is...

What do you think? Any ideas, advice, links etc.

I have some money saved up already and my credit card has some left too just in case I need it. But, it'll be more than likely than I'll plan it around work sometime next year, with 07 being an outside bet. I really want to do it asap, but finance and timescales will be deciding factors about that.

Thanks
AP

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 17:43 - 14 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sod the tour company, do it yourself and hire a harley Very Happy

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:18 - 15 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been planning a trip like this myself and to be honest I never even considered doing it with a tour company until now....

I'm sure it would be a laugh still, but lets be honest, its cheating.

I haven't looked into it in detail, but I think you can get a bike shipped over there for about 400 quid. We're planning a long one, all the way round if possible so I think it would still be cheaper to do it that way rather than renting. Suppose it depends on the suitability of your bike (hornet in my case, think it would handle it nicely). But thats how Dan Walsh did it (personal hero of mine).

There's this site, www.horizonsunlimited.com that has tons of information on touring, rentals, shipping and theres even like a database of bikers who'll let tourers stay with them if you email em... might be worth checking out Thumbs Up

Theres a couple of goods books about touring america that I keep meaning to buy but I can't remember titles, I'll post it when I remember.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 04:59 - 15 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiring a bike to go across the whole of america wd cost a fortune.

buy one, ride across america, then sell it

I would use ebay to do this

If you are gonna do coast to coast, you might as well get a proper touring bike like a gold wing

american ebay motorbike listings
https://motors.listings.ebay.com/Motorcycles_W0QQcatrefZC4QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsacatZ6024QQsamcmZ6024QQsocmdZListingItemList

just get the zip code of the place in america you want to start, and you can look for bikes in that area

some of the 'custom built' motorbikes (choppers) look good

most are expensive but not all
https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/No-Reserve-2001-Custom-Built-Chopper-Rowe-rigid_W0QQitemZ4597229148QQcategoryZ10062QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 05:51 - 15 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with buying a bike is, if you're going legit, you've got to insure it while you're out there and then sell it in a big hurry when you've finished.

I've read somewhere that most yank insurance companies can be reluctant to insure foreigners with no fixed US address.

Not sure I'd fancy riding a goldwing through redneck country either, you may as well take pink plastic sandals and ask nsr-andy to break you in before you go.

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:33 - 15 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see the point in using a tour company for that kind of trip, personally. I mean it's easy enough to find out about individual places you want to go for yourself and you wouldn't have the freedom to just say to yourself "that road looks good, I'll take it and see where it goes" if you did an on-the-rails kind of tour.

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 15 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

maurice wrote:
The problem with buying a bike is, if you're going legit, you've got to insure it while you're out there and then sell it in a big hurry when you've finished.

I've read somewhere that most yank insurance companies can be reluctant to insure foreigners with no fixed US address.

Yeah I agree. I considered this as well but there are too many factors that could go wrong. You'll have to buy the bike in a hurry as well and if you end up getting a dog its gonna ruin the whole trip.

Mrs Kickstart
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:13 - 15 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I would go for the hire a bike as at least if it packs up you get a replacement. Buying could be a nightmare.

A tour compnay would be more restrictive but would mean less planning and some will hump all the gear from place to place for you.

I think I would go it alone in the USA, its not like there is a lanuage barrier and you could take a small tent in case you cant find a B&B.

Regards
C

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 13:09 - 16 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

maurice wrote:

I dont think McGee would mind me using his address for inusrance purposes (if I were to do it). Id ask first though.

As for selling in a hurry at the end of the trip, thats what ebay no reserve is for.

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 14:12 - 16 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breakdown cover could be an issue as well, Harley's aren't exactly known for their bullet-proof reliability. With a newish hire bike (that probably has breakdown as part of the deal) at least you're giving yourself a fighting chance.

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:43 - 16 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

a while back I wrote:

Theres a couple of goods books about touring america that I keep meaning to buy but I can't remember titles, I'll post it when I remember.

Told you:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1566913969/qid=1137368954/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_3_1/026-9110372-9389261

Thumbs Up

AceRimmer
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:43 - 29 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Wright did a show going across America. It's on Men and Motors on Thursday at 9pm. Might be of interest if you haven't seen it.

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 29 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

AceRimmer wrote:
Ian Wright did a show going across America. It's on Men and Motors on Thursday at 9pm. Might be of interest if you haven't seen it.

"Wright Across America"...
I've been watching it too, it's almost compulsive viewing once you get in to it. Very Happy
He's obviously living his dream, but IMO it's just a shame he comes across as an immature dork.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jman
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:48 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can freight your own bike over there for around £500 (from southampton to california), check out horizonunlimited.com for a list of trusted sea and air freight companies, but i'm not sure how insurance would work.

generally speaking its a safe place, but you might want to avoid looking like a tourist in the dogiest parts of larger cities....

some suggestions for things to do:
Arrow eat a stack of pancakes smothered in golden syrup with strawberries and crispy bacon on top.
Arrow pikes peak in colorado springs. action kicks of on july 1st this year.
Arrow cruise the pacific coast highway north from san diego, through LA to san francisco. there are plenty of inland hills and corners if you get bored of the blistering pace of the highway.
Arrow AMA visits daytona (banking, big speeds) in march (best get there quick Wink) and the road america (concrete walls, overbanding) in july.
Arrow cruise new yorks grid, be sure to pay a visit at the sidewalk bar.
Arrow eat fresh cajun catfish and warm cornbread anywhere in the south, but preferably from a family owned joint.

also, other internet contacts woth checking out are:
www.gamct.com
www.hctravel.com
www.edelweissbike.com
www.chromecaballeros.com
www.gobajaridin.com
www.chrishaines.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jman
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:55 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i suppose a good bit of advice would be not to obsess over the complications/possible complications. just decide where you want to visit, how you want to get there and just do it Cool

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 14:56 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually been looking into doing this for a while now.

If you go with a guided tour it will cost you twice what it would if you did it on your own.

You can hire a big Harley for $750 a week in peak season ($500 or so off season), add in a bit for one way hire and you're sorted.

Choose a vague route based on branches for the hire company you're going with, take a map and enjoy.

These seem to be the biggest hire places, Moturis are a bit cheaper but Eagle Rider have more branches and bikes to choose from.

https://www.moturis.com/html/index.html
https://www.eaglerider.com/

biker-dj
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:24 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if it will be of any help but on the Holiday programme on BBC1 at 7pm today - Charley Boorman does a bike trip accross Nevada, obviously it's not going to show much but might give you some ideas, tips etc Wink Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:57 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of hire companies wont let you take their bikes out of the state, just watch for that.

If you're going to get a harley, get a modern fuel-injected one for that sort of distance. I rented a heritage softail classic which looks like a 'proper' harley and is supposed to be pretty reliable.

biker-dj
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:23 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched Holiday programme average hire price they quoted was £72 per day or £444 per week, not sure if that was for the 2006 R6 they showed or another slightly cheaper sports 600. Good luck with planning your trip and I hope it comes off for you Wink Thumbs Up

andyshing
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:02 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jman wrote:
i suppose a good bit of advice would be not to obsess over the complications/possible complications. just decide where you want to visit, how you want to get there and just do it Cool

agree Cool

Mik_RX125
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:55 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker-dj wrote:
Just watched Holiday programme average hire price they quoted was £72 per day or £444 per week, not sure if that was for the 2006 R6 they showed or another slightly cheaper sports 600. Good luck with planning your trip and I hope it comes off for you Wink Thumbs Up

I think it was for the CBR600 that he rode. You could tell he loved the CBR. Not lol.

If I was to do something like that I'd take my own bike, as then if something did go wrong then I'd know where everything was and probably fix it by the road. There are plenty of places that look like cool places to visit, but it could be quite dodgy with each state having its own laws.

Anyways hope you have fun.

Mik
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 103 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1