|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Dot_Comm |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dot_Comm Scooby Slapper

Joined: 22 Nov 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 00:37 - 01 Mar 2006 Post subject: Buying a used GS500 |
 |
|
Hi all,
Hmmmm, not quite sure where I should put this, so I'll stick it here. I'm looking for a first bike, having passed my test but still riding my Peugeot Speedfight 100 (love it but yearning for a gearbox!). I've been looking at the Suzuki GS 500, seems quite nice for me as a first bike.
I've spotted this particular one, a 52 reg, which is apparently a cat D write off (Category D - Repairable. Probably non-structural damage. May have been economic to repair, but insurer doesn't want to). Also it's done 20,000 miles (so I'm assuming ex- courier). It'll set me back a grand, which imo isn't too bad if it doesn't need too much doing to it (gonna phone the seller tomorrow and find out what needs doing).
What should I look for when buying a used GS 500? Can anyone offer me any tips? In particular, since this one has been down the road, what should I be looking for if I decide to go and view it?
Thanks for any help you can offer me guys, it's all much appreciated. Help me get a gearbox!
Rach |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| DanceLikeAMon... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 DanceLikeAMon... World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Sep 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 13:05 - 01 Mar 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
To be honest, if it's your first "big bike" I wouldn't spend that much money on a GS. They are fine for messing around on, but you'll soon find that you want more power.
The main problem I have had with mine are electrics (I've had to replace the regulator twice in 6 months!) but his might not be such a problem on a newer bike.
My GS cost me £900 on eBay (although I spent about £400 keeping it on the road for the last year ), and I feel myself getting more and more bored with each passing day. Being a skinflint I am going to wait until next year before I buy something better. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dot_Comm |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dot_Comm Scooby Slapper

Joined: 22 Nov 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 14:31 - 01 Mar 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I'm a student currently on placement. I've got a bit of cash this year, so I want to replace my scooter if I can. Then for the next 2 years (at least, while I'm still a student) I'll keep this bike. It's my only transport (I can drive but I hate driving so I won't be getting a car). I don't want a crotch rocket. I don't want anything too powerful, or too big (I'm female so I'm limited on bikes where I can touch the ground!). Plus it'll have to be restricted until September anyway, since I can currently only ride something that's 33bhp or less.
Personally I feel that a GS500 (or similar, ER-5, CB500 etc) is the perfect bike for me right now. Cheap to run, cheap to insure, much more power than my scooter, and a gearbox.
Unfortunately, I received an email from the seller of the cat D motorcycle who claims there isn't anything wrong with the bike. So now I don't trust him as far as I can throw him (and as I said, I'm female, I throw like a girl). I might still take a look at it so I can compare it to others I see, but I doubt I'll be parting with my grand.
Thanks for your input tho, I'll take it into consideration.
Rach |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| BWW |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 BWW Renault 5 Driver

Joined: 26 Feb 2006 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Zimbo |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Zimbo World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Jul 2004 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Mark_petty |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mark_petty Brolly Dolly

Joined: 01 Jun 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dot_Comm |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dot_Comm Scooby Slapper

Joined: 22 Nov 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 00:40 - 03 Mar 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hmmm there's a few on there that I hadn't seen before. Yeah that's the cat D one, I'm not so keen either since the seller has told me there's nothing wrong with it.
I'm now rather tempted by this one, already restricted and looks a beauty. And it's coming from a dealer which I'd prefer to a private sale. Anybody got anything to say on CB500s?
The X reg GS seems nice, but I'd like something that's quite close to me as well (currently Birmingham area). So 120 miles is a bit too far away really.
Cheers for the input tho, you've all been a great help
Rach |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 20 years, 215 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|