Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First ride on the Thundercat

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

fuzz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:24 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: First ride on the Thundercat Reply with quote

Summaries usually come at the end, but I'll start with it this time: Loved it Thumbs Up

I turned up at the dealers, signed the slip, and got going. "Take her out for an hour," was all I heard from Steve as I pulled away. With a planned journey ahead, it was a short ride in traffic to the nearest A road.

First impressions were on the riding position. It was hardly any different to the SV - something I was glad of, as the GSXR I tested last week had my back aching after 20 minutes. I could also see the speedometer and counters without having to look through the screen, another bad point from the SRAD.

It took quite a while to get used to the engine. Obviously not my first time riding an IL4, but you can't really compare 25 minutes to 8 months on a V2, and so it took a few miles to adjust to the revvy nature, even though I wasn't revving any higher than my Suzuki while cruising at 40.

The A38 came up, and it was only a short section up to Bassetts pole, but it gave me a chance to open her up in second. The Gixxer had failed abysmally in this department, clonking all the way to the redline, but the Yam was so smooth. There was no jumps, skips, or sudden bursts of power, it was pretty linear all the way. After 6k it started to sound really nice, even with it's stock silencer. I wondered what a Yoshi system would sound like on it.

It wasn't long until I was going 80mph in second, with more to go. I couldn't believe it - the SV gets up to 60mph, and although losing out 3000rpm, I was quite surprised. So I changed up through the box, and again, everything was nice and smooth.

I still felt a little awkward on it. Mostly I think it was to do with the fact that it wasn't my bike. I was being too cautious with it to relax, but the more I rode, the more comfortable I felt with it. Even going slowly through 30 and 40 areas, I was getting to like the sound of the engine. Still not as nice as the sound from my Remus, and it still felt like I was going too slow due to the higher pitch.

I got back to the dealers after an hour and a half, I had no idea it had been that long. It certainly didn't feel like that amount of time had passed (a good thing?) Then Steve took me over the paperwork and general information. 1997 model, 15k miles, 12 months MOT (they will carry out any work needed to get it to MOT standard) 3 month warranty. It has already had the downpipes replaced for stainless steel parts, everything else is stock, £2495 Some serious consideration needs to be taken now. Do I go for it? Or do I wait another year, get some more road experience, and save for a VFR800? I'm really unsure, I liked this bike so much. Mim thinks it's a pile of junk, simply because it's "an old bike." I'm not so sure myself, although the price does seem very good for a dealer.

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 19:37 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice review Thumbs Up Yea i considered a thundercat before opting with the SV, do it have loads more power compared to the SV, i know its a very different power being a IL4 but did you prefere it?

its sounds like you really like it so go for it, i cant coment of the prices as dont know mucha bout 'cat prices.

Also, i though you just brought as GSXR600 SRAD?

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:50 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good writeup. Thumbs Up Is there any particular reason you're looking at getting another bike that's in many ways similar to the SV?

fuzz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:28 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I didn't buy the GSXR. I didn't like it after the test ride for one reason or another.

The power on the Cat is similar to the SV in that it has no surprises, apart from the fact that you can break the NSL in second Wink I did like it, but whether I prefer it, I'm not sure. It would definately be easier to lose your licence on though.

I think I'm happy with the SV as it is, I'm just after something more sporty. The Thundercat seems a good progression in that respect. A new engine type for that new bike feel, yet enough similarities to feel more comfortable from the off.

I'm still not sure if I will go for it. I think I should test ride a VFR800 first, as I would rather be riding one than a Thundercat. If I do like the Honda, I'll keep the SV another year and save up (me likes the VTEC models Smile ) If I'm not as keen on the VFR as I think I might be, I'll get the Cat this year.

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:09 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I'm glad you like the Thundercat, it's a bike I've always considered.

I haven't had the pleasure of the VFR, but would expect that it would be a stonker, it's been around so long that it must be tweeked to near perfection. With one exception of course, that flamin VTEC!

I haven't heard one good word said about it, it seems to be a question of whether owners can tolerate it or not! It's a shame, because it is superb in every other way, but there are still pre-VTEC models around in top nick and sensible money.

If you test the VTEC and don't like it, do try an older one. People I have spoken to constantly sing its praises. Thumbs Up

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:47 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking Now that's interesting. I've been hankering for a Hornet come April, but Thundercat's are cheaper; plus I'm a bit of a fully faired whore. Embarassed

So fuzz, how ideal would you rate it as a first 600?

fuzz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:07 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it fits the bill of a first 600 quite well, although I'm glad I learnt on the SV. The cat is reasonably tame compared to the full on sports sixes, but can still see you getting 6 points without thinking too much about it. If the idea of an R6 scares you, but the idea of a lower powered naked bike bores you to tears, I would recommend it.

Carl - According to the VFR forum, the split between VTEC lovers/haters is pretty 50/50. Some people wouldn't be without it, others can't stand it, but it's a question that occurs on there just as much as the NSR/RS debate on here. I probably wont be able to afford a VTEC model, anyway Sad

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats that one solved then! Keep us posted on any development with the VFR, would love to hear more about them. The old 750 seems like a good buy.

Black Knight
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:50 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlnicholsony2k wrote:
Thats that one solved then! Keep us posted on any development with the VFR, would love to hear more about them. The old 750 seems like a good buy.

It is.

Many dont realise but the '800' is acutally only a '779' so only 30cc more, not the '50' you would expect.
Where does a turn end? 'Where you can do anything with the gas you want to, where you are brave again, where your attention is free from the turn, where you are sure you can do it better next time; that's the end' - Keith Code.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fuzz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:14 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually its 782cc, but that's just nitpicking Razz

My mate part ex'd his Bandit 1200 for a mint (I mean it was showroom) VFR750 with 10k miles and money his way. He loved it but soon sold it as it didn't suit him. But then he has a new bike every two months. Smile

Gracie Jones
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:45 - 13 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude, don't know if you've considered this but how about a ZX six R (six number on my computor fucked).

They are comfortable and go fast basically. Perfect six hundred sports bike. strong and good.

much better street cred (if that is important) on the ZX than the cat. The cat styling I think is just a bit bland. Still nice bikes, but if you want that sporty feel, the ZX is the one.

Get the VFR when you are older and greyer, do the sports bike thing whilst you are young (if you are).

fuzz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:53 - 14 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gracie Jones wrote:
They are comfortable and go fast basically. Perfect six hundred sports bike. strong and good.

No thanks, already put the sports 600 on hold for a while after test riding he GSXR. Not getting the 'Cat either. I've settled on the VFR. I don't care if it is a mature riders choice, it suits my needs perfectly.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 50 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1