Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Touring cost on the continent.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:48 - 22 Mar 2006    Post subject: Touring cost on the continent. Reply with quote

I would like to do a touring trip probably through France and down to Spain.

It is a loooong way off before I will have the readies, but was wondering how much I could expect the overall cost to be, obviously as a rough guide only.

There will be one return ferry trip for the bike and two adults, and probably B&B style accommodation, but I would be taking a small tent aswell. I would only be able to allow about 2 weeks for the trip, and would likely be doing it on a 600cc sports touring machine.

Have you done similar and remember the rough cost?

So, any ideas below from those in the know. Wink

"THOSE WHO RISK NOTHING, DO NOTHING, ACHIEVE NOTHING, BECOME NOTHING."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:40 - 22 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

For one person, I would estimate a two week trip to cost no more than £700. For two people, maybe about £900?

That's £300 petrol, plus £300 per week living costs. The Dover-Calais ferry crossing is dirt cheap.

Bod
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:26 - 22 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, a mate and I have planned a trip to France, Germany, Holland for May. So far its cost us 130 quid return on the ferry from Rotterdam. We are staying in youth hostels which are likely to cost 20 quid for a room, so that will be about 100 for the accomodation then money for food and petrol. It all depends on your route how much you spend I suppose.
Bod

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 22 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really surprised by how cheap it would appear to be.

I was expecting about £1500 for the fortnight TBH. Obviously, the price could vary hugely depending on a few certain choices, but with a bit of time and planning, next years summer holiday may well be decided!

Thanks chaps, any further experiences below please. Thumbs Up

"THOSE WHO RISK NOTHING, DO NOTHING, ACHIEVE NOTHING, BECOME NOTHING."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:26 - 23 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It cost me £1500 to do a 23day trip covering 5000 miles. You should be looking at about £40 per day plus ferries (£40 return if booked early).

Stay in camp sites where you can. That should include petrol and food, but obviously is depends on what level of travelling you intend on doing.

I spent more on the odd hotel (don't travel too late at night, else getting accomodation is difficult/expensive).

You could do it for less, but that would probably cover most things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:27 - 23 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget tyres and parts + pre tour servicing costs

MikeH
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:32 - 25 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last September Speedferries were doing open ended return trips for £25 (Dover-Boulogne) worth a look especially if you can book in advance. Personally though I would look at the long ferry down as it's a hell of a long way in a car, let alone a bike.

Mike

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 25 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also get a credit card, you never know. Thumbs Up

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:18 - 27 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeH wrote:
Personally though I would look at the long ferry down as it's a hell of a long way in a car, let alone a bike.

Mike

It's a bike trip, it's supposed to be a hell of a long way, thats the point! But I'll have the missus for company. Still not sure whether thats a good thing or not though? Shocked

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:27 - 27 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is that the ride down through France is not the most scenic. Yeah it's pleasant enough in comparison to most of England, but compare it to the stunning scenery of the Alps and Pyrenees, and there is no contest.

If you only have a limited period of time out there, makes sense to spend as much of it as possible in the South.

I would also suggest that the French main roads are an absolute nightmare. It is very easy to get lost, and accidently venturing into a city is guaranteed to take you half an hour to get back out again. For a two week trip, the Bilboa/Santander ferries are a very sensible option, and with a pillion I would say almost essential.

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 07:52 - 27 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that if you take the road through Claremont Ferrond, its scenic, fast, and quite fun (especially the last third). It will also take you accross the highest road bridge in Europe, quite spectacular.

It will take about the same time as using the ferry, however you will arrive a little more tired. With a pillion, you are limited by what they are willing to do. I have no problems making the Pyrenese through that route in a (long) day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:42 - 27 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mrs is now insisting that we do stupid mileage each day in a bid to spend more time in Spain. I don't really want to spoil the ride for her, and as much as she enjoys pillion, I don't think that 12 hour riding days are really the best way to break her into long distance touring.

The route you suggested through Claremont Ferrond, is there any chance you could send me a map of the route you took?

I was going to take toll roads and motorways to get the speed up, but it's the balance of getting there and enjoying the journey.

Cheers to all. Thumbs Up

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 12:25 - 27 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nath wrote:
Problem is that the ride down through France is not the most scenic. Yeah it's pleasant enough in comparison to most of England, but compare it to the stunning scenery of the Alps and Pyrenees, and there is no contest.

If you only have a limited period of time out there, makes sense to spend as much of it as possible in the South.

I would also suggest that the French main roads are an absolute nightmare. It is very easy to get lost, and accidently venturing into a city is guaranteed to take you half an hour to get back out again.

I agree on this with regards to Northern France, but mid-France is a whole different kettle of fish imo. I find South of Troyes is where the fun starts. The main roads aren't lined with villages like the North so you can have some pretty good fun on them. Try the route from Troyes to Dijon that flows along the banks of the Seine, or the route from Bourg-en-Bresse to Chambery for scenary. There's a lot more to France than just the Alps and Pyrenees Wink

I've not been there yet, but the Central Massif area and the South-West are said to be full of cracking roads too.

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 01:33 - 29 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://tinyurl.com/em33a

Visit the above (its viamichelin) and you will see the route. Its autoroute all the way, around 9.5 hours worth. The first (last usually for me) bit from Calais is pretty quick, boring motorway. Just before Clermont Ferrand it starts to get pretty, the view from the milau bridge is pretty awesome, well worth the very reasonable toll (remember to stick in the bike lane and not pay car rates on autoroutes).

This is mostly non-toll roads, there are a couple, but nothing compared to petrol costs.

The last quater is great, vineyards to each side, bright sun usually, warm. When you get toward the coast you can break off to the Central Massif (very underated) and go for a swim at one of the many points where it is safe to do so (I love the feeling of hopping off the bike and diving straight into a (chilly) river. Especially when its hot. The mountain roads in this region are fairly good, they don't change surface suddenly without warning.

You could easily find a campsite or press on to the Alps or Pyrenese, both are not too far on autoroute (approx 3-4 hours to Alps and 2-3 hours to Pyrenese - but I don't really remember how fast I was going).

There are a few biker campsites around, but I tended to just follow signs to the nearest campsite.

If you rest a few times, and leave Calais at 8am, I would think you would be fine. I personally go for 3 hours riding, 1 hour breaks. Gives plenty of time for stopping for pictures, food, rest etc. Its long, but not too long.

Most importantly, let us know how you get on.
All the best.

panrider
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:55 - 30 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

we go to france and spain 3/4 a year but stay in b/b not camping and spend about £1000 for 2 weeks and do about 5000 miles per trip .
the best route is like others say go via clermont ferrand and stop and take the new millau bridge
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/thehondas/43656661-O.jpg
also stay a night or 2 at gorge due tarn here
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/thehondas/DSC00444.jpg
if you need any info or a oute let me know Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 74 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1