 DynamiteBoy Scooby Slapper

Joined: 09 Oct 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 20:49 - 06 Apr 2006 Post subject: Kawasaki GPZ500s...more issues |
 |
|
Hello again everyone, been using my GPZ daily to commute back and for work. I've noticed another problem with the engine.... and was hoping for some advise and opinions...
Basically I think my head gasket has blown:
-Noticed it running a bit 'off', especially when warmed up, after 70mph blast along M4
-Inspected my oil cap today to see a milky residue under cap..
First things first - im not confident enough to carry out any repair work myself, so I was wandering how much I should be expecting to pay a garage. Just hoping someone has had a similar job done previously...
Thanks again....Ow ____________________ "I dont like my Job anymore - I dont think i'll go" OfficeSpace
Honda CG125 (sold) - Kawasaki GPZ500s (sold) - Kawasaki Zephyr 550 (sold) - Kawasaki er6n (current work horse) |
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 21:39 - 06 Apr 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I'd drop the engine oil first and see what it is like. Condensation in the sump is a common occurrance at this time of year, especially if you commute for multiple, short journeys.
In my experience, if the head gasket lets go, it blows between the barrel and the water jacket causing overheating and spitting out of coolant.
Another possible cause of coolant in the oil is a duff water pump seal.
Regardless, it is worth a change of oil to see if there is really a problem as both a head gasket and a water pump seal are big jobs (top-end gasket set is £65!).
Get some quotes first whatever you do as a good, low mileage second hand engine comes in at £2-300 and the breakers are full of them . That's one of the reasons I keep buying Kawasaki 500 twins, the engine is virtually disposable.
Change the oil and keep an eye on both the oil condition and the coolant level. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
 DynamiteBoy Scooby Slapper

Joined: 09 Oct 2005 Karma :  
|
|