Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Drilling 25mm Holes in my Fairing!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Philwild
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:47 - 07 Apr 2006    Post subject: Drilling 25mm Holes in my Fairing! Reply with quote

I fitted some R & G protectors to my R6 at the weekend which involved drilling 2 x 25mm holes in my fairing Shocked

using this cutter!

https://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f374/philwild/Pic1495.jpg

https://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f374/philwild/Pic1494.jpg

https://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f374/philwild/Pic1496.jpg

Thank god, one side done!

https://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f374/philwild/Pic1497.jpg

https://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f374/philwild/Pic1498.jpg

Phew! Mr. Green

Making sure the holes were in the right place was a nightmare.

They say in the instructions to paint the end of the engine mount bolt and re-fit the fairing to leave a painted mark on the inside of the fairing where you need to drill but this was not accurate enough IMO.

The painted mark ends up being in the wrong place because the fairing does not sit directly facing the bolt if you see what I mean. The fairing ends up touching the bolt off-centre. Thinking

I ended up drilling small pilot holes first and sticking the straw from a WD40 can through the pilot holes to feel if i was level with the engine mount bolt hole where the protectors fit.

Never mind, done it now! I got away with not having them for a year, another summer would be pushing my luck I think!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Philwild
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:10 - 07 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cutter I used is called a Multicut and is made by a company called G&J Hall and I borrowed it from work. We got it from Lawson Tools in Southampton. They are quite expensive (£35 I think) and the one I used cuts 20-30mm. You can get smaller ones as well (10-20mm).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!



Joined: 05 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:13 - 07 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job.

If I was you though I'd make the holes a little bit bigger, just in case the worst happens, give the bung a little space to bend a bit.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Philwild
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:24 - 07 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a good idea Davo! I will do that tomorrow
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Barry_M2
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:34 - 07 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siggi wrote:
I used a circular saw and it didn't do as neat a job as your's.


I'm not surprised!

I think you mean a hole saw.

This is a circular saw.... https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/Products/size_3/DW62.JPG

I'd love to see you cut your fairing with that puppy! Laughing Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser



Joined: 20 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:57 - 07 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah when I did it with a hole saw it was no where near as tidy as that, wish I'd had one of those.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ajacobs
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 29 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:20 - 07 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

25mil cone cutter should do it.
____________________
When you dance with the devil, you wait for the song to stop, know what i mean?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 180 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.66 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 52.54 Kb