Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Pro's and con's of a suzuki bandit?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

woojay
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 23 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:53 - 11 Apr 2006    Post subject: Pro's and con's of a suzuki bandit? Reply with quote

I'm going to be moving up from my 125 in the next month or so and I have decided to go for a suzuki bandit. I'm just wondering about the good points and bad points with the bike. I'm looking for tech specs and problems ect.

I just want to be ready for any hidden suprises that may be waiting for me.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

-Savage-
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:11 - 11 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was looking into a bandit at one time myself, but was reccomended a hornet due to the better honda build quality.
____________________
My Bikes - - - Royal Enfield 500 with sidecar, VFR800, CBR600FX,
Peugeot Speedfight 100, Kymco Hipster 125, GSXR750K5, Jawa TS 350
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Groove
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:20 - 11 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specifications

Not bad bikes, mate has just bought/buying the S version.

He was looking at a Hornet but insurance was a lot more from sounds of it, having about 20BHP more he couldnt get insured within budget.
____________________
|| Past: 1991 Kawasaki ZXR 250 ~ 2003 Honda CBR 600 F Sport ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1999 Yamaha R1 ~ 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R J ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1998 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm ~ K1 GSXR 600 Track bike ~ K6 GSXR 1000 ~ 2006 Speed Triple 1050 || Current: 2005 R1 https://www.adrucore.co.uk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

woojay
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 23 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:28 - 11 Apr 2006    Post subject: Hornet Reply with quote

That's what put me off buying the hornet. I can get a bandit in good condition for about 6-800 quid. A decent hornet will cost me £2000+ and I really cant afford that.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ISLAND GIRL
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:56 - 12 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

SavageKymco wrote:
i was looking into a bandit at one time myself, but was reccomended a hornet due to the better honda build quality.


Agreed, I was told similar that Honda build a better bike, hence I ride a hornet, I like to rub this in to Nick since he rides Suzuki Laughing
Not sure what truth there is in it mind, just what I was advised.
My insurance is fine BTW, fully comp £297 a year. Bike 2002 plate, one previous owner Mr. Green
____________________
Live on the Isle of Wight and ride a CBR600F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Zimbo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:35 - 12 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with the bandit, you could do much much worse! It's a sensible step up from the 125, more than fast enough for you, reasonably reliable and looks good, cheap to buy and run, and to insure.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mark_petty
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 01 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:16 - 12 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from a 125 to a bandit s and I'm really happy with my choice.
I got a bargain as well mines a 1999 reg with only 3k on the clock all documents to prove mileage £1200 Thumbs Up
Its had a service which cost me £70 in parts and its running lovely.
____________________
[Rides: Suzuki GSF600sx]
[CBT: Passed] [Theory: Passed] [DAS: Passed]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

woojay
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 23 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:54 - 12 Apr 2006    Post subject: Bandit Reply with quote

What sort of top speed can I expect out of a bandit once it is restricted?

Also, how much do you think I could sell my Suzuki marauder 125 for?

It's a 2005 plate with about 12k miles on the clock and full service history. At the momemt It has rusty mirror bars and some minor damage from being knocked over while it was parked up.( Tiny scratch in exhaust, front mudguard and brake pedal. Plus bar-end bent.) Im going to sort out the mirrors and bar end but the rest is too minor to worry about really. I was thinking that I would probably be able to get around £1200-£1500. What do you guys think?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:08 - 12 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki bandit:

Pros: Every bugger has one. This means there are loads of spares and aftermarket parts out there.

Cons: Every bugger has one. This means they will look round and go 'Oh, another bandit.'.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

syris
Crazy Courier



Joined: 29 Jan 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:22 - 12 Apr 2006    Post subject: Re: Bandit Reply with quote

woojay wrote:
Also, how much do you think I could sell my Suzuki marauder 125 for?


I part exchanged my 2003 model this time last year, with 15k miles on it (full service history and minor crash damage similar to yours) for £1300. If you sell private you should get £1500 or more due to its age.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

woojay
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 23 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:03 - 12 Apr 2006    Post subject: Value Reply with quote

Well, that's a bonus. How much will my restricted access test cost me?(minus the theory) My skills are pretty sound, I just need to use my mirrors a little more often while on a straight road, plus I tend to forget my lifesaver look occasionally but i'm working on those. I think i'm going to need no more than two lessons plus the test.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Scorpius
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 19 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:21 - 12 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cons? Corners.
____________________
Cagiva Mito 125 (sold)
Honda CBR400RR NC23 (sold)
Currently riding: Honda CBR600F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dink
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 21 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:42 - 12 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

naff standard collector boxes that disintegrate Mad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Brava210
Crazy Courier



Joined: 04 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:16 - 12 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love mine to bits,i know there are better bikes but for the money it is a very good bike ....I paid £3995 for mine brand new 650 faired ABS in January with 2 years free servicing which i am more than happy with Very Happy

ps nothing wrong with the paint finish........well mine is good anyway
____________________
Honda Novio, Puch Grand Prix, Suzuki AP50, CZ 125, Wassell 125, Montesa 348,Honda 125TDC, Suzuki 100ER, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Aprillia Pegaso, Honda PCX125, Honda Forza300, BMW G310 GS, Suzuki SFV650, Honda CB500X

CHARLEY SAYS " ALWAYS TELL YOUR MUMMY BEFORE YOU GO OFF SOMEWHERE"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

woojay
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 23 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:08 - 13 Apr 2006    Post subject: Insurance? Reply with quote

How about insurance cost? I've got a year's no claims and a clean licence. What should I be paying?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ISLAND GIRL
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:07 - 13 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

All depends on how old you are, your bike is, the CC and where abouts you live as some areas are classed as higher risk than others, how many NCB you have, how long you been riding Confused
____________________
Live on the Isle of Wight and ride a CBR600F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mark_petty
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 01 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:26 - 13 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 24, I have a 1999 Bandit 600 s, live in a good area, I have nearly 2 years ncb and its £210 tpft Thumbs Up
Get some online quotes. I got mine through www.directchoice.co.uk
____________________
[Rides: Suzuki GSF600sx]
[CBT: Passed] [Theory: Passed] [DAS: Passed]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

woojay
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 23 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:45 - 13 Apr 2006    Post subject: Insurance Reply with quote

Thanks M8 I guess it'll be about £500 or so for me then. I can afford that. I'll just change my policy when I get rid of the marauder.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

garth
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:25 - 14 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

drop a tooth off the front sprocket and they're more fun.

it's obligatory to have a loud pipe.

even better to have a shorty loud pipe. and renthals.

i like mine, does the job. Thumbs Up
____________________
You ain't a has been if you never was
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Villers
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:18 - 14 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive had the priveledge of riding both the blandit and the hornet. I didnt actually own the bandit but my best mate did and it was like an asprin, constantly dissolving underneath him. Having said that it was an older bike. The hornet handles far better but has nothing on a sportsbike handling. The bandit was very bouncy in the bends, as was the hornet but the hornet had more feel and was a bit better planted. I would consider both bikes to be 'predictable' if I was honest.

The big plus of the bandit is the cost of ownership, even considering repairs. On the otherhand thehornet that I had for 2 months managed to break out of the blue too.

As for insurance £210 for a 24 year old with 2yrs no claims sounds good. Although Im 24 with zero no claims and an accident against me and paid £320 for a fully faired 600cc sportsbike Confused

I think as a short term gap between your 125 and a sportier bike the bandit works well if you can pick an older one up for under a grand. I can't speak for the new models however as Ive no experience!

Good luck, you'll enjoy your step up no matter what anyway!

Wink
____________________
RS125 > CBR6 > SV650S > ZX636R > GSX1300RZ Hayabusa > 06 RSVR Mille > SV1000S > Street Triple 765 RS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

greatmoorred
Nearly there...



Joined: 13 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:33 - 17 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could try a 400 bandit, ive just bought one and am pretty happy with it. Its a smaller frame, so it weighs next to nothing, which means you can throw it about a bit. Ive not been left standing either, it can keep up with bigger bikes on rideouts. Just dont take on a hornet on the straight Embarassed .
Good first bike though.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DucatiEVO
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 02 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:39 - 17 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get bored with the Bandit look they make great streetfighters (when done properly), you can chop and change as you see fit! Very Happy
____________________
aKa: Ducky
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 172 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.16 Sec - Server Load: 0.78 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 115.17 Kb