Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

I want to sell my bike, but something's stopping me...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

What would you do?
Keep the CG125 while saving to pay for DAS, then use CG money to buy a more expensive bike
54%
 54%  [ 13 ]
Keep the CG125 while saving to pay for DAS, then keep the CG and save for a bigger bike
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Sell the CG125 now, and use that money to buy the 64,000 Mile GS500E/L and pass Direct Access
25%
 25%  [ 6 ]
I'd do something else (Posted in thread)
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 24

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:01 - 31 Mar 2006    Post subject: I want to sell my bike, but something's stopping me... Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Some of you may have seen a thread where I've been offered a 64,000 miler GS500E/L with Powerbronze fairing and Remus can for £400 (From my best mate's brother).

I'm quite keen on the bike, and I really want something bigger as I ride a lot of duallies and I'm over 6 foot.

To pay for it though, I need to sell my CG125 for about £900 (To cover bike sale, insurance and my DAS to ride the bloody thing!)

I just can't bring myself to put the CG up for sale... I'm not even particularly fond of it... I think I'm just being lazy rather than being attached to the bike...

What would you do? Go for the bigger bike and go bikeless for 2-3 weeks, or keep the CG and save until I can afford my DAS, then use the money from the CG to get a better bike?

Cheers,

T

Dragonfly
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:07 - 31 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry what is DAS?

i would hold on to yuor bike until you get a new one. least you wont be stuck without one. thats what i am like, i would keep until i got a swap basically or added more money to it. i cant trust myself with money i would just spend it on crap. if yuo can save, all the power to you.

RobB
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:18 - 31 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The poll options wrote:
I'd do something else (Posted in thread)

Sell the CG, and spend the money on drugs and hookers.

Can't remember what the problems were with the GS, but I'm sure some were mentioned during your thread asking about it. I'd be more inclined to say go for the bigger bike as soon as you can, but not if the GS is a "quick solution" to your big bike desires.

If the GS isn't what you really want, or will cause you more problems/cost then wait. If the GS looks perfect, and is affordable (after DAS, and considering the change in fuel economy) then go for it. The weather's just getting good.

While you're deciding, you could put the CG up for sale somewhere and see if you get any interest. That could make your mind up one way or the other.

In my experience, if you don't take this opportunity, there will still be many others.

(dragonfly, DAS is the full licence via Direct Access)

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:19 - 31 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragonfly wrote:
sorry what is DAS?

i would hold on to yuor bike until you get a new one. least you wont be stuck without one. thats what i am like, i would keep until i got a swap basically or added more money to it. i cant trust myself with money i would just spend it on crap. if yuo can save, all the power to you.

Direct Access

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:20 - 31 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobB wrote:
Sell the CG, and spend the money on drugs and hookers.

Can't remember what the problems were with the GS, but I'm sure some were mentioned during your thread asking about it. I'd be more inclined to say go for the bigger bike as soon as you can, but not if the GS is a "quick solution" to your big bike desires.

If the GS isn't what you really want, or will cause you more problems/cost then wait. If the GS looks perfect, and is affordable (after DAS, and considering the change in fuel economy) then go for it. The weather's just getting good.

While you're deciding, you could put the CG up for sale somewhere and see if you get any interest. That could make your mind up one way or the other.

In my experience, if you don't take this opportunity, there will still be many others.

(dragonfly, DAS is the full licence via Direct Access)

Hi Rob,

Yeah, the front brakes need bleeding but if I was going to do that I'd want to fit braided lines instead of the rubber they have now.

It's in pretty good nick, just dusty.

There's a small oil leak which is what worries, plus the mileage.

RobB
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:39 - 31 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other thing I'd consider would be the fact that you're buying it from a mate. Sounds like a very good deal, but if something goes bang within a month or so, I know my head would be blaming the seller. All depends how much you trust them, and if they're spanner-minded that could work in your favour (free fixing due to guilt trip).

Would be a good idea to find out what's causing the oil leak. If it's just a gasket/seal, then cool. Bleeding the brakes is pretty standard, and like you say, is a good excuse to fit new parts. That's instanly more cash to spend though, which you might want to factor in to your budget. Whether it's currently got one or not, would it pass an MOT?

Mileage, I don't tend to get scared by as long as you can see it's been well looked after. You know it's an old bike, so it won't get thrashed all the time. You can tell a lot more from the knocking/tapping noises the engine makes, and the exhaust smoke than from the mileage. Like women, old bikes just need care, attention, and regular lubrication.

EDIT: Just re-reading the original post, "Go for the bigger bike and go bikeless for 2-3 weeks". What's your alternative transport for the 2-3 weeks? If it's public, then again, more cost. Confused

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 17:43 - 31 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd need to find a real idiot to pay £900 for a CG! Shocked

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:43 - 31 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it'll be public (About £11 per week for a ticket)

The seller, and his brother (who is my mate. well they're both mates, but y'know...) are both really spanner minded, so's their dad.

They adjusted all my cables and bodged a new bracket for my horn a couple of days ago...

Think it's just a gasket, seems to be coming from/near the gearchange lever.

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:44 - 31 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaun wrote:

It's not an old one

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 17:50 - 31 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends on how long it wd take to save, but i am a fan of having a slowish commuter and something faster and more expensive to run for the weekends

i justify this by saying that keeping the commuter type thing saves money compared to using the fast bike for everything

I have heard quite a few people say bad things about GS's but it wont matter if you drop it

ideal wd be keep cg and save for something flash

sensible might be sell cg do das and get gs

FreshAL
Sir Crashalot

PostPosted: 17:50 - 31 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colleague at work has a 50,000 GS500 and it's basically worn out.

Keep shopping around, you're not in a hurry to get a big bike, so you can wait till you can get a bargain.

Have you thought about buying something with minor crash damage then getting them to help you do it up?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:56 - 31 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not a bad idea you know... I might look into that...

I think it's probably best I don't get overcome with buying a bigger bike just for the sake of it, and go for one I really want (TRX850/GPZ500S/CBR600F/SRX400).

Thanks for the advice guys!

I can also take the time to replace all the parts I need to on the CG as well and get it look nice!

I'd love to paint it black, but I'd lose so much money.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 18:00 - 31 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
Shaun wrote:

It's not an old one

It's 5 years old, which actually is quite old.

When I could in theory buy one for less than £1000 more than you asking price in some places, you would have to find a real mug to buy that, at best you could maybe get £600-700
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:12 - 31 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I paid £875 for it in practically brand new condition.

I'll put it up for £900 ono when I get it, as it's coming summer I'm pretty sure I'll meet that price.

FreshAL
Sir Crashalot

PostPosted: 18:18 - 31 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, you're not in any hurry to sell it, so why not advertise it at £900?

You might sell it, you might not but you've got nothing to lose

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:20 - 31 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreshAL wrote:
Again, you're not in any hurry to sell it, so why not advertise it at £900?

You might sell it, you might not but you've got nothing to lose

Good idea Smile

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:10 - 31 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the CG, do the restricted test straight away (easier, cheaper, quicker cos you won't have to save for as long).

Once you've got rid of the Ls, THEN put the CG up for sale and see what else is out there.

Dunno about the GS. Seems a bit pointless to sell a bike you can ride to buy one you can't - what if it takes you a couple of gos to pass the test? You're off the road for a lot longer than 2-3 weeks. [/voice of doom mode]

There are always cheap bikes about if you take the time to look for them. Wanna buy a VT500 for £500? No oil leaks! Razz Laughing

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 10:18 - 01 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyyam wrote:
Keep the CG, do the restricted test straight away (easier, cheaper, quicker cos you won't have to save for as long).

Im not so sure, i mean yea quicker and slightly due to having a smaller bike to manover (though if you have been on Ls shouldnt be a problem i think)

Though cheaper im not so sure, yea the test is but then you have £100-200 to restrict (assuming you are restricting it) and if you want them removing its a fair amount.

I think go for DAS, as 33bhp rule is annoying knowing that it could invalidate your insurance if they find out they "dropped out" and you have a major accedent

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:32 - 01 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

you asked this last year I think too

Think very carefully about it cus no bike = no freedom to move about and it can be a crushing experience , and selling does not equate to a pass in a test which can be even more crushing.

also with the GS500 I'd be careful bikes at around 65K start falling apart and have failures everywhere , see that thread
"Ijust want to cry"

And his experiences with a GS500 which is falling apart at 60K

smeg I'm selling a bike pushing 60K due to major failures everywhere.

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:43 - 07 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

would the mate's brother not px the bike for you? and give you some cash? that way he's really doing you a favour and he has a bike to sell just as before?

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:45 - 07 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple wrote:
would the mate's brother not px the bike for you? and give you some cash? that way he's really doing you a favour and he has a bike to sell just as before?

Think im going to leave the bike as it is and go for something better.

Nice idea tho Smile

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 18:16 - 07 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

64,000 miles is far too much for a 500cc bike.

It'll be knackered. Or it will be in about 100 miles.

edd
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 02:41 - 14 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy C wrote:
Though cheaper im not so sure, yea the test is but then you have £100-200 to restrict (assuming you are restricting it) and if you want them removing its a fair amount.

I think go for DAS, as 33bhp rule is annoying knowing that it could invalidate your insurance if they find out they "dropped out" and you have a major accedent

if you wanted to buy a proper restrictor kit then they do turn up on ebay fairly regularly, especially for things like the gs/er-5 and make £5 -£10 and as far as an accident is concerned, the law says you cant ride a bike with more than 33bhp. It in no part says you must have a restrictor kit fitted (the bike could be running on one cylinder, and so long as the peak power was under 33bhp then you would be sweet.) To prove that your bike made over 33bhp they would have to put it on a dyno, and if you were involved in a major smash the likelyhood of this being a possibility is slim. (if not pull off a plug cap as you leave the scene)

as far as removal and fitting of a washer type restrictor kit are concerned, anyone could do it, there are a few guides available and its as simple as knowing how to take off your carbs. Thumbs Up

Barney
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:39 - 15 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaun wrote:

Jon B wrote:
It's 5 years old, which actually is quite old.

When I could in theory buy one for less than £1000 more than you asking price in some places, you would have to find a real mug to buy that, at best you could maybe get £600-700

I sold my 1999 CG125 for £850 at the end of summer, it was in worse condition than what I've seen of Toby R's.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 16 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1