BCF: Bike Chat Forums

France

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 13:15 - 14 Apr 2006    Post subject: France Reply with quote

I'm thinking of heading over the channel for a week or maybe 10 days later in the year. The idea is to find a place to use as a base for 5/6 nights (a week at the most), and to explore the local country side from there.

Has anyone got any recommendations for locations and or companies/people to rent a villa or cottage from?
At the moment the plan is just for two of us with two bikes, but we may alter that depending on friends.

Any input will be gratefully received and thoroughly investigated.

Cheers

Hippy

panrider
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:53 - 14 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

what area was you thinking of useing for a base hippy ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

derbisenda16
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:38 - 14 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would reccomend staying in Lille. Ive got family there is a friendly area..Only 20 mins out of calais too. a great place to use as a base.

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 11:49 - 15 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider wrote:
what area was you thinking of useing for a base hippy ?

Not really too worried - I don't know France that well, but somewhere fairly central would be good I guess, that way we could venture off in a different direction each day.

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:19 - 15 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived down near Nice last year (and it looks like I'll be moving back this summer now...) so thats all I can offer advice on, but its definately recommended. You can even hop over to Corsica for a few days.

Try www.angloinfo.com for english info (obviously Smile ) on property rental, entertainment and everything else, it covers a few areas in france. That website has been priceless for me Thumbs Up

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 11:58 - 16 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keen wrote:
I lived down near Nice last year (and it looks like I'll be moving back this summer now...) so thats all I can offer advice on, but its definately recommended. You can even hop over to Corsica for a few days.

Try www.angloinfo.com for english info (obviously Smile ) on property rental, entertainment and everything else, it covers a few areas in france. That website has been priceless for me Thumbs Up

Thanks Keen, I was looking at the Nice area last night and it really does look like it's worth a visit - a bit further south than I was thinking, but that's not a real problem Thumbs Up

panrider
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:41 - 16 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

sod nice hippy this is where ya wanna go Very Happy
centre of france great bike roads .use it as a base and tour out every day Thumbs Up
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/thehondas/DSC00444.jpg

then you could always try this bridge on a windy day Smile
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/thehondas/43656661-O.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 13:48 - 16 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bridge is definately on my list of things to 'do' - I have no idea where abouts it is though Embarassed

panrider
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:54 - 16 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

here ya go m8 .
bridgepros.com/projects/Millau_Viaduct/ - 21k
we went uder it last time it was to windy on the st :Dhttps://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/thehondas/millau4.jpg

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 14:07 - 16 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider wrote:
here ya go m8 .
bridgepros.com/projects/Millau_Viaduct/ - 21k
we went uder it last time it was to windy on the st :Dhttps://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/thehondas/millau4.jpg

Hmm, looks like it's not too far from Nice, so that could easily be taken in on a day out Thumbs Up

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 16 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah the millau bridge is on my list as well.... this summer I need to get my bike down there, so a road trip is on the cards. I don't know much about the rest of France so if you know any other good places to see on the way down let me know Thumbs Up

also close to Nice, be sure to check out the Gorge du Verdon, amazing windy roads all around that area and the gorge itself (and the beautiful clear lake that you can rent boats on) is reason enough to go Thumbs Up
don't forget that from Nice you can be at the italian border in an hour and a half (maybe less on the benelli Smile ).

Stu_666
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:18 - 16 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking about doing this in July. Possible places I've considered have been Dordogne and Pyrenees. Perpignan looks quite a good place if you want to venture into the Pyrenees and is also quite near the coast as well.

I've looked into as well going with a tour company where they arrange the ferry and accomodation for you but I'm not too sure if its that good value for money. One I looked at was MCI tours (google should bring up the site for you) and the cost for a week in the south of france near the Pyrenees was £600ish. Depends because when I worked out the cost of ferries and b&b accomodation with a few meals chucked in it looked like they were making a good £130ish profit on the holiday.

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 18:23 - 16 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stu_666 wrote:
I've looked into as well going with a tour company where they arrange the ferry and accomodation for you but I'm not too sure if its that good value for money. One I looked at was MCI tours (google should bring up the site for you) and the cost for a week in the south of france near the Pyrenees was £600ish. Depends because when I worked out the cost of ferries and b&b accomodation with a few meals chucked in it looked like they were making a good £130ish profit on the holiday.

I've looked in to that as well. Bearing in mind that there will be 2 of us, for the price they were looking at we could have gone to the Caribbean for a week or so!

panrider
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:37 - 16 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe we should start planning a trip to france for those who want to go and have not been before Very Happy Very Happy

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 18:41 - 16 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider wrote:
maybe we should start planning a trip to france for those who want to go and have not been before Very Happy Very Happy

But I have been be before - a few years ago we went to the F1 at Magny Cours, we spent a few days getting there and a few days going back. We enjoyed it loads, that's why we want to go back Thumbs Up

Still, I wouldn't be against going as part of a group - we could rent a bigger place as less € per person. Would need to speak to MrsHippy to see how she feels about it before I agreed though Embarassed
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 56 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1