Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Introduction to biking.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

mattymoo
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 11 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:02 - 18 Apr 2006    Post subject: Introduction to biking. Reply with quote

Hi all, great site Thumbs Up (Oops, I nearly stuck fingers up at you lot then by selecting wrong smilie, lol)

Aaaaanyway. Years ago, well, bout 5, I took my cbt and razzed about on a *cough Honda spacy cough*.

Only did that for about a year, then never biked again. Ive been driving for 9 years though! Basically I want to get into biking but properly, so I've decided to save up for my cbt and buy me a kinda real LOOKING bike like a sr125, or should i say one that has gears and makes a bit of a motorbike sound, instead of that flymo kinda sound!

After I've saved up a bit more I think I'd like to take my full test but on a restricted licence to help me build up my no claims etc.

My question is, do you think that's a good idea? and, how much is it going to cost? I am going to take a trip down to the local biking school but just thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas.

Is the test really hard? I am quite serious as I'm going to be selling my car pretty soon!

Sorry about the essay and any advice at all would be fab as I really am quite a newbie to all of this Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:07 - 18 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

With 9 years on the road, just do your DAS. Be much cheaper in the long term.

The test isn't particularly hard, depends on whether you're at the standard to pass it or not really.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fadel
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 06 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:08 - 18 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, alot of people would say DAS, which I would agree with.
You can still ride a smaller bike to get some NCB up and riding experience, but I think you would want a big bike before the 2 year restriction is up and you would find yourself tapping your fingers wishing you had done the DAS.

You have had biking experience as you mention so I can't really see the need for the restricted license if the DAS option is available.

Go for DAS! Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mattymoo
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 11 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:24 - 18 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys, just been looking at prices for das now ont net and it says around £485? that's pretty reasonable I think, but obviously would have to pop down to my local bike school to check out their prices!

That was a really good point about passing my das but still riding a small bike to build up my no claims. Hadn't thought of that, lol.

I mean, I guess what I could do is save up directly for my das and not bother getting a bike at all yet?! But then again, I really want to get out there...... Rolling Eyes Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fadel
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 06 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:33 - 18 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You still need to actually have a bike to get NCB as you need some insurance policys Razz

£485? Sounds quite cheap, everytime I have seen a price for DAS it has been closer to 600 or so or it might just be i'm obsessed with a big bike Razz lol
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:37 - 18 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds about the right price for DAS, costs do vary in different parts of the country.

You shouldn't really need to choose a 125 small bike to build up some no claims, anything vaguely sensible should be easily insurable as I'm guessing you're at least floating around the 30 years old mark?

Also, if you're ditching the car, you *might* be able to use your car NCB - not all companies will do it but there may be a couple, certainly some let you use bike ncb on a car so worth looking into.

Das at around £500, £500 kitting yourself out with some half decent gear, get yourself a Bandit / Hornet / Fazer / SV kinda thing and bob's your uncle. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fadel
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 06 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:55 - 18 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy you make it sound so easy to get the bike, gear insurance Rolling Eyes

lol Nah, if you got the cash I guess it is

Good luck anyway
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mattymoo
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 11 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:01 - 18 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunatly Direct Line won't let you use your no claims for another company! I'm 26 Bendy. Prolly for the first time ever, this all sounds do-able, lol. And yeah, it would help having a bike to build up my no claims. I do have my blonde days from time to time.

I was thinking though, if I was to save up and aimt for my das, and then buy a bike, if i failed it would slowly grate against me and I might end up just feeling like crap etc. But, if I saved up, got a cbt and a 125 (which I could get my money back on as they're always in demand) then went for my das, then even if I fail, I can plod on and practice on my 125 and rebook and not feel anything crap, lol.

Ooh, decisions, decisions, lol. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:12 - 18 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go and do a CBT before you make any further decisions.

If you find it really difficult, then maybe DAS isn't the way. But if you find it fairly simple, and with your years of driving experience, then do your DAS. I was in a similar position to you, did DAS, failed my first test, sat another one 2 weeks later, job done.

Personally, I found a 125 much harder to ride than a bigger bike so I don't see the appeal of learning on one of them when I could learn (albeit fully licenced) on something bigger.


Confused on the Direct Line thing - is that who your car insurance is with now? None of their business if you take your no claims and go elsewhere.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mattymoo
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 11 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:20 - 18 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, sounds like you were just in the same boat as me! Yeah apparently when I rang them up for a quote, for a cossie scorpio, they told me that if I were to change insurance companies, that they wouldn't "release my no claims" Confused I've got 5 years worth, and I'm sure I can prove it without even needing to ring them up?! Odd.

I am slowly trying to save up, but I am quite determined that this is what I want to do. Have to admit, the ex has kinda influenced me as she did all this last year, but I never really took notice of the cost of it all. I just remember testing her using the theory test book, lol.

Thanks for your advice, great help guys.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 171 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.86 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 64.91 Kb