Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Hayabusa front brake lever/brake light problem...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

mr_pete
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 04 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:12 - 18 Apr 2006    Post subject: Hayabusa front brake lever/brake light problem... Reply with quote

T'would appear my '99 Hayabusa brake lever switch is knackered. Rear brake pedal causes light to come on, front brake lever doesn't.

I've had the lever off the handlebars and disconnected/reconnected the switch, (having wiped it) - no joy.

Now, given that I use both brakes all the time, I've only just noticed after sitting in front of a car thinking "hmm, why isn't he lighting up red?!"

I am now a little worried it's been like that since I had the braided hoses installed a month or two ago (which would have meant they had the cylinder and levers off).

The starter switch and front lights (and kill switch) all share a wiring line off the throttle, with the brakes, and everytying else behaves, so it's not likely to be a kinked wire. The brakes have a little bit of wire running from the lever/switch into the throttle body somewhere (and the brake switch can be disconnected), and I'm hoping it's just that little bit of wire.

Could this be a dead contact on/in the lever, a dead switch, or (more annoyingly) a broken wire somewhere else (meaning potentially a replacement cable and lots of fiddling)?

I don't have any testing kit, so besides trying to "short" the brake switch and seeing if I get light, I can't prove much!
____________________
Sans bike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:22 - 18 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a paper clip and short the 2 wires. If the light comes on its the switch.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bezzer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:28 - 18 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno why they had the M/c and lever off to fit new brake lines unless it was to lift it up getting rid of an airlock or something, because you don't have to. If they did then possibly disturbed the switch/wire. If you can short the switch out that would at least prove if that's OK or not. You ought to consider getting a cheapo multimeter they only cost from a fiver upwards for what you need to do, save you a lot of time and trouble in the long run and always comes in handy checking little problems like this.
____________________
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not quite so sure.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 172 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.62 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 36.35 Kb