Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


33bhp

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Dot_Comm
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 22 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:51 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: 33bhp Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm buying a Bandit 600 soon (come on pay day!) but unfortunately to ride it I will need to restrict it. Although this is probably a good idea since I've not ridden a proper bike for a year and a half, not since I passed my test (current wheels is a Peugeot Speedfight 100, love it but I want a gearbox).

The local bike shop has quoted me £175 to restrict my bandit, although he did mention that he'd do it for £75 if I bought the bike from him - yet the only bandit he had at that time was over twice the cost of what I'm paying for mine, and it was the soft new one Sad

Is this the price I'm looking at? Is there any chance I can get it done cheaper? If you've had your bike restricted, how much did it cost you? I know it's a handful of washers in the exhaust and a dyno test, doesn't seem like I'm getting that much for my money tbh. The local bike shop mentioned that they didn't do the restriction themselves, merely sent the bike to the local dyno test place, so can I get it done directly and cut out the middle man? Or do I have to have it done at a garage?

I'm based in Birmingham btw so if anyone has any hot tips for bike shops in this area, please share them!

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Rach
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Craggles
Traffic Copper



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:56 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought washers second hand from a chap off here for £35.

Insurance company made a big thing about having a certificate (having fitted them myself I don't have any sort of documentation, although I am legal), however no mention of certificates were made when I recieved my cover note (which acually lasts till the end of the policy) so I seem to be in the clear.

I was looking at £200 to get the bike restricted by a garage with a new kit from F.I. International - which I wasn't prepared to pay as I only have 6 months of restriction left on my licence, and I feel I've already paid my restriction "tax" having my first bike fitted by a garage.

Craig
____________________
If this signature is blue, you're riding too fast
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:02 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The restriction certificate isn't a legal document.

It's a massive scam.

Buy the washers and fit them yourself, and if the insurance companies require it then go get your bike dynographed to make sure it's under 33BHP, or do it for your own peace of mind.

Don't pay the full £200 for a FI kit, it's scum.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

king kong
Nearly there...



Joined: 05 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:20 - 19 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My restriction on GSX750F cost £200, yet you can pass test in car in morning and in afternoon be in a skyline on M25, do'nt make sense does it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kitten
Crazy Courier



Joined: 09 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:00 - 20 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM Kara - she has a restriction kit that just came out her Bandit 600.
____________________
RVF400 (NC35) My baby
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 173 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 0.6 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 44.82 Kb