Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Few questions again, for my friend.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

conure
Nova Slayer



Joined: 18 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:57 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Few questions again, for my friend. Reply with quote

I went with my friend yesterday to a few garages to sit on some bikes, she found the twin 500 bikes the eastiest to sit on at her size and so chance are will end up with one of them (gpz,gs,cb etc..)
Anyway, she's had some car drivers (one of which annoyed me, as he drives like a maniac and if anyone is a hazard on the road, it's him.) telling her that if she gets a motorbike she'll end up dead.
She already told me she wants to do her full licence as a 125 won't get her from reading to canterbury, also because she thinks the CBT won't give her the experience needed to go on the road, which is probably true in some cases.
Anyway, I'd like some experienced views on the situation, the questions are:

Do all bikers end up limbless? I know they don't..but all these car drivers tell her they do, so I wanted some people here to help my arguement.

Another question is, is a twin 500 the best place to start for a new rider? Another one of her friends said instead of getting a 500, she should start on a 250, which i disagree with, I'd like your opinions on that too.

And last of all, roughly how much are you expected to pay for a v twin 500, she's not looking for new and shiny, just well looked after and in good working order. I was hoping in the region of £600, is that possible?

Thanks very much for any input you can give me.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:02 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Plenty of people survive bikes, plenty of people wipe themselves out in cars.

There are not really that many 250s around anymore. Only ones that are in any way common are the 2 stroke sports ones and they would be quicker much of the time than the 500cc twins. Only real exception is the GPX250 / ZZR250, neither of which sold well.

Price wise, given time you will find one for about £600 but that is close to bottom price so finding a nice one is more difficult.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

biker-dj
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 10 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:07 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Re: Few questions again, for my friend. Reply with quote

conure wrote:
Anyway, she's had some car drivers (one of which annoyed me, as he drives like a maniac and if anyone is a hazard on the road, it's him.) telling her that if she gets a motorbike she'll end up dead.
Thanks very much for any input you can give me.
I would say to the car driver above - it's pr*cks like them that kill and injure bikers. To answer another question, I had a GPZ 500S and I loved it very comfortable riding position for that longer ride. I can't answer the question about prices other than have a look on ebay to get some idea of prices. Hope that helps a bit. Thumbs Up
____________________
Ride with the music!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob W
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:16 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say she's better off getting a 500 as a first 'big' bike. It would certainly cope with long journeys better than any 250 would, and you'd pay a premium for a half decent 250 anyway. I'd expect to pay between £500-1000 for a 500 twin, obviously the upper end being a much newer/better condition bike.

As for ending up dead on a bike, the blokes obvioulsy a twat. IMO bikes are no 'less' safe than cars, it's the other twats on the road you need to watch.
____________________
'90 TS50 > '04 Senda 125 > '91 ZXR400 > '90 CB-1 > '04 GSX-R1000 > '96 Bandit 600 > '89 ZXR750 H1 > '96 GSX-R750 SRAD > '98 RR-W Fireblade > '98 T595 Daytona > '03 Hornet 900 > '04 Fireblade > '16 GSX-S1000F (x2) > '23 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

conure
Nova Slayer



Joined: 18 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:45 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm talking to the guy now on msn, he seems certain (despite his extreme lack of bike knowlege) that a 250cc bike is better than a 500cc v twin as a first bike.
I suppose he'll never be persuaded though, he's just arguing for the sake of it but trying to persuade the person buying the bike to get a 250!

If anyone could put down a large list of reasons a 500 is better than a 250 I would appreciate it, as I know if she ends up buying a 250cc bike she will regret it when she's on the motorway topping out at 85mph on a cb250!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

.....
Quote Me Happy



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:50 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get him to sign up here and argue his case Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

conure
Nova Slayer



Joined: 18 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:52 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent idea. i'll try to persuade him!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Phil_G
Traffic Copper



Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:53 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

500 Twin all the way.

I got one as my first machine and that was a 1997 ER 500 for £400. SO no its not mint but, IMO, if you get your hands dirty a little and work on the machine you will better understand it and appreciate it more.

Theres plenty about for sensible money, so pick wisely and dont be scared to haggle on cost. If they wont negotiate, then chances are you will get a better deal down the road.

good luck to your pal!
____________________
1997 Kawasaki ER 500 A1:- Once again, Its merely crap Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek



Joined: 20 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:17 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

conure wrote:
I'm talking to the guy now on msn, he seems certain (despite his extreme lack of bike knowlege) that a 250cc bike is better than a 500cc v twin as a first bike.
I suppose he'll never be persuaded though, he's just arguing for the sake of it but trying to persuade the person buying the bike to get a 250!

If anyone could put down a large list of reasons a 500 is better than a 250 I would appreciate it, as I know if she ends up buying a 250cc bike she will regret it when she's on the motorway topping out at 85mph on a cb250!


In my opinion a 500 is:

More reliable
Faster
Easier for a newbie seen as it has a touch more power and will be more forgiving
Cheaper insurance
Cheaper to run (Mostly better MPG)
Usually more bulky e.g Demands presence on the road.
Easy to work on
Parts are more common
I suppose it's happier to sit at around NSL type speeds

Over a 250. I'm sure there's some I've forgotten, I picked up my ER-5 with 5k on the clocks for relatively low price. A little work to get it going sweetly would be all that was needed, and as they are relatively easy to work on I'm sure with the aid of a Haynes you could dodge a few mechanic bills.

You can also have a pick of the range, if she wanted the most powerful I would suggest the GPZ or CB500, and if she isn't too bothered about speed and is happy to touch 115 mph I would suggest the ER-5, or the GS500 which is a tad less quick but when you pass the 80 mark it's generally all the same thing anyway. Also a GPZ has fairings which is good for motorway travel.

Also kindly inform your friend that not all motorcyclists end up as organ donors and 9 times out of 10 it is the fault of another road user (Ergo - him) that accidents occur. Though I wouldn't state those statistics as true, just trying to make a point Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

conure
Nova Slayer



Joined: 18 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:04 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank's very much everyone, i'll show him this!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Lawnie
Nearly there...



Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:50 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

500s are far better value than 250s.

I'm not suggesting you should buy new, but look at the Honda CBFs.

Last year the 250 was listed at an RRP of £3,399, whereas the 500 was only £600 more, at £3,999. Plus the 250 had a rear drum brake, and not a disc like the 500.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 169 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.69 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 70.06 Kb