Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Manchester United get lottery grant

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:42 - 22 Apr 2006    Post subject: Manchester United get lottery grant Reply with quote

Second richest football club in the world and they get a £30k grant to "help keep their staff fit". WTF?

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/4931486.stm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:56 - 22 Apr 2006    Post subject: Re: Manchester United get lottery grant Reply with quote

Silver wrote:
WTF?

My thoughts exactly.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 03:04 - 22 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Hannen, at the Council for Voluntary Service in Manchester said: "What these people have is the money to put together a professional looking application.

its daft when the organisations with money to spend doing a good application are the ones who get the money, but you can understand how it would happen as they will make a better case for themselves.

A more deserving cause probably wouldnt know where to start.

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:32 - 22 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

A drop in the ocean. Rolling Eyes

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:15 - 22 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

well this just reaffirms the old adage , lottery = stupidity tax ,

with 14 mil to 1 odds its longer odds than a Honda C90 winning the moto GP
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 22 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new alternative lottery that is starting soon promises not to give money to silly causes and give more money to deserving causes.

Run by an ex camelot person. linky

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:25 - 22 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

more money means 30p instead of 28p in the pound given to Charity , still the odds are a helluva lot better 200,000 to 1 , that said the top price is 200K , which is probably still a life changing amount.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 22 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
200K , which is probably still a life changing amount.

That sort of money, I'd expect to live in relative comfort for life. With that, you could afford to buy a half-decent house outright or a bigger house with a small mortgage, and have plenty of money from a job left over to sink into food, crap and pension. In a way, I think I'd prefer to win £200k as opposed to £10mil. £10mil, the novelty would wear off quickly and you'd just be bored. £200k, it's not making you amazingly rich, just allowing you to continue your life as normal, but with virtually no money worries, provided you use it wisely. Smile

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 23:01 - 22 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why give 30K to get manchester united staff fit...they are a fecking football team..if they are unfit surely they wouldnt be playing football.
Confused

Vin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:53 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
Why give 30K to get manchester united staff fit...they are a fecking football team..if they are unfit surely they wouldnt be playing football.
Confused

Have you seen Wayne Rooney Laughing

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:38 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
Confused

It's apparently for the non-playing staff (shop workers, restaurant staff etc). You would have thought they could sort themselves out with one of their trainers though if they're all fat bastards.

It's not like the club needs (or deserves) a £30k handout, christ it'd only pay Rooney's wages for about four days! Shocked

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:12 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie wrote:

That sort of money, I'd expect to live in relative comfort for life. With that, you could afford to buy a half-decent house outright or a bigger house with a small mortgage, and have plenty of money from a job left over to sink into food, crap and pension. In a way, I think I'd prefer to win £200k as opposed to £10mil. £10mil, the novelty would wear off quickly and you'd just be bored. £200k, it's not making you amazingly rich, just allowing you to continue your life as normal, but with virtually no money worries, provided you use it wisely. Smile

your probably right , in that the sweet things in life aren't as a nice without the bad things in life , and having anything (almost) at a whim would make you incredibly bored. Still 200K doesn't even buy a semi round here.

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:18 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
your probably right , in that the sweet things in life aren't as a nice without the bad things in life , and having anything (almost) at a whim would make you incredibly bored.

Depends what you do with it... leave it in the bank and just buy toys then I imagine you'd get pretty bored after a while. I'd be tempted to sink a large chunk into a business - giving you a job, an interest and a goal in making it succeed.

plugger147
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they had let branson do it in the first place then I doubt that so much of the lottery funds would be splashed on shit.

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 10:46 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie wrote:
Itchy wrote:
200K , which is probably still a life changing amount.

It's not that much money in the scale of things. In the south you will probably get a flat for 200k. Mortgage repayments aren't stuipdly high so it will just mean you have one less direct debit to pay a month.

There was a program about lottery winners and one woman was part of a syndicate and they won like 200k each. She spent it all in about a year.

On msn there is a site about pensions and it says you couldn't retire early on a million because it's not worth as much as it used to be. I think 10 years ago 1 million now was worth 3 then (or something like that)

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:29 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

markcatate wrote:

On msn there is a site about pensions and it says you couldn't retire early on a million because it's not worth as much as it used to be. I think 10 years ago 1 million now was worth 3 then (or something like that)

says you? , 100,000 @ 5% interest (common these days) = 5000

1000,000 @ 5% int = 50K PA , which is more than enough to live on quite cus after tax it'll be something like 39K , since most of us live on much less than that the interest would be culmalative.

That said I predict by 2010 we'll have £5 coins , it was only 25 years ago £1 were changed from paper to coin.

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 24 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
1000,000 @ 5% int = 50K PA , which is more than enough to live on quite cus after tax it'll be something like 39K , since most of us live on much less than that the interest would be culmalative.

Yes, but...

...you'd probably spend more money "entertaining" yourself as you would lose as much of your time due to being at work.

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:20 - 25 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical spokesman talking shit wrote:
We cannot and should not discriminate against a firm based on whether it is perceived to be a wealthy organisation.

oh dear, that sentence is so wrong, so very wrong. Rolling Eyes
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 45 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1