Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


MOT due soon

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Trip
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 28 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:16 - 29 Apr 2006    Post subject: MOT due soon Reply with quote

The MOT is due soon on my '85 Honda CG and i was wondering what its likely to fail on? Is there anything that these are renowned for failing on or do i believe what people tell me about it being invincible.
Reason i ask is that ive just lost my job and i need to keep the MOT cheap.
____________________
Bike: Yamaha XJ600N Mileage: 28500 Miles Rider Mileage: Many Miles
CBT: PASSED Theory: PASSED Test: PASSED
Past-CG125 Present - Yamaha XJ600N Future - WHO KNOWS?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hedjehog
Nova Slayer



Joined: 19 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:25 - 30 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rich,

There are no commonly recurring problems with CGs in general that I'm aware of, except perhaps ones connected to the fact that they get routinely thrashed and neglected. It is difficult to say then what yours might MOT fail on. Obvious question would be: does everything work? Another question would be: is anything excessively worn or does anything stick? I'm an utter beginner with the engine but thankfully the MOT seems to concentrate on everything else in my experience!. Here's a link I first read on here (from stinkwheel I think) that has details of all the tested things: click here.

All the pro mechanics I've dealt with are happy to give a quote or estimate for work that needs doing, so you can decide if you have the cash before they do it. Also, there's often more than one way of solving a problem. My CG just went through the MOT and the front brake was sticking (I neglected the correct lubrication on the cable). The guy thought I may need a new cable (the more expensive option) but he tried relubing it and that solved it (the cheaper option).

Is yours a black CG like mine by the way? I don't see many about in black. FWIW mine's now on 52k and still soldiering on. Are you hoping to move onto bigger bikes at any point?

HTH Thumbs Up

Jack (hedjehog)
____________________
1988 CG125 BRE; 2000 GPZ500S D7; VFR 800 FI-X; 1980 CB 250 RSA; 1998 FZS 600 Fazer; 1986 Honda C70 E
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Trip
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 28 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:57 - 30 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is but mine only has 18K on the clock Very Happy
I am hoping to do my test as soon as i get a new job and get something like a CB250. I think sticking with Honda's is a good idea as they seem very reliable. Im planning to sell the CG and buy the CB when i have my test as the 250 is actually cheaper.
Nothing appears to be wrong with it, im hoping its just a case of getting the certificate.
Just given it a good clean and it looks brill.
Are there not many black ones about these days then?
____________________
Bike: Yamaha XJ600N Mileage: 28500 Miles Rider Mileage: Many Miles
CBT: PASSED Theory: PASSED Test: PASSED
Past-CG125 Present - Yamaha XJ600N Future - WHO KNOWS?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hedjehog
Nova Slayer



Joined: 19 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:24 - 01 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

18k for an 85 bike is good!

I saw a review of the new style CB250 in Ride recently. I was actually quite taken with it. Certainly good for town riding.

I haven't seen any other black CGs around where I live. Loads of all the other types though (right back to the 70s ones). I think paulodd on here used to have one, I remember seeing a picture.

best
hedjehog
____________________
1988 CG125 BRE; 2000 GPZ500S D7; VFR 800 FI-X; 1980 CB 250 RSA; 1998 FZS 600 Fazer; 1986 Honda C70 E
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DynamiteBoy
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 09 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:37 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cg (94) failed the MOT on Saturday due to leaking front forks, everything else was fine. Bought new seals and have taken the forks off so hopefully it should now pass once assembled.

Also i removed both mirrors as one had a crack, didnt have any issues with tester...
____________________
"I dont like my Job anymore - I dont think i'll go" OfficeSpace

Honda CG125 (sold) - Kawasaki GPZ500s (sold) - Kawasaki Zephyr 550 (sold) - Kawasaki er6n (current work horse)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 160 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 1.11 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 46.2 Kb