Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Hello all....The big plunge

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

odoliam
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 21 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:50 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Hello all....The big plunge Reply with quote

Hi all
new on here, been reading lots first trying to learn as much as possible...sorry for the long post!!

my situation as of now is I'm driving a BMW 3 series. This is up for sale with a buyer interested. crossed fingers!!

The reason for selling is I want to get a bike. I've loved the look and sound for as long as I can remember....but, here's the sting, the most I've ever been on a bike is about 20 minutes as pillion on my grandfathers old bike when I was younger.

I've got a full driving licence for a "car" from Rep. of Ireland and am 26, but live in SE London.
So, I'm looking at doing the DAS but first I need to change my license into a UK full car and provisional bike? is this correct - or can I have two separate licenses??
Then the theory, CBT and DAS.

I quite like the look of the Honda's in the Bike magazines' "Used Bikes of 2006" pull-out.
All in I'm hoping to spend about 3k. is this possible by buying private and doing the DAS and new gear too?
My knowledge is very limited, but I like the look of 600/750/1000 sports shaped bikes. I believe it is cheaper to insure and buy if you go for the bigger 1litre bikes as the 600 market is fierce??

What is the main diff. between 600cc's and Litre bikes (other than 400cc Mr. Green ).
any recommendations??

My riding will mainly be commuting but also evening/weekend trips with a passenger.

thanks guys

Liam
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

FreshAL
Sir Crashalot



Joined: 04 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:28 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Sorry, I have no idea about Rep of Irl licences - try the DVLA
Edit: Try this page
DRIVING IN GREAT BRITAIN (GB) AS A VISITOR OR A NEW RESIDENT
Specifically
Quote:

To take a GB driving test you will need to either :

(i) apply for a GB counterpart licence (D58/2) by completing a D9 (available from Embassies or DVLA) and enclosing your Community driving licence which will be returned to you. The provisional licence document is issued free of charge. However, the appropriate fee must be paid and your Community licence surrendered in exchange for a GB one when claiming the full entitlement;

or

(ii) exchange your Community licence for the British equivalent and request the appropriate provisional entitlement.



2)Yup, you'll need to do theory, CBT and DAS.

3) DAS will cost you about £500 - £750 depending on how many lessons/test attempts you need. You'd be wise to spend another £500 or so on kit (boots, gloves, jacket, trousers, helmet), although if you shop around (eBay etc) you can get good kit for next-to-nothing.

You can pick up a reasonable bike from about £1000 - £1500. Spend less and you'd best be familiar with a spanner.

You might find 2nd litre bikes cheaper than the 600's but you'll never be able to insure one, and most people wouldn't recommend a litre sports bike to a beginner. You should be able to pick up a nice CB600F, ZZR600 etc for your budget. BUT if you are going to get a sports bike as your first bike have a good talk to yourself and be chilled out riding it, they are a whole world quicker than your Beemer and you can get yourself hurt/ in trouble.

Get a bit of experience before you take a passenger - the handling changes a little, but you have a whole lot more responsibility, and have to be much smoother with the controls, else you'll scare your pillion rigid.

Gd luck

Useful Links:
https://www.begin-motorcycling.co.uk/index.htm

https://www.motorcycle-training.f2s.com/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

odoliam
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 21 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:50 - 26 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a million fro the info FreshAL

all good stuff.
I'm not a speed merchant at all...not even in the car so I reckon even on a sports bike I would never use all it's speed.

all I have to do now is start the ball rolling...get my licence changed (doh, gone are the days of immunity from any potential speeding points - never been flashed anyways), apply for the theory test then onto the DAS.
happy daze.

I live in the Greenwich area...anyone know of a good crowd who do DAS??

thanks guys

Liam
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:36 - 26 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm can't you apply for a UK license as well then have both?

I love driving in the republic for the same reason, most you can get is a fine and then would you pay it.

Where you from in Ireland? I have relatvies in Co Limerick near the Co Cork border and I went to college in Cork when I was a younger.
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

odoliam
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 21 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:44 - 26 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey

well, I was hoping I could have two licences, but not sure if I could do DAS is I was basically starting from scratch, i.e. without any licence at all...or can I???
If I can then bonus

...actually, just went to read the DVLA again and all it says about DAS is you must be over 21. sweet, guess I can keep my Irish car licence and have a separate UK bike one.


I'm from Tipperary...town called Cahir. you've probably passed through or right by it if going from Limerick to Cork.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

southlondoner
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 14 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:18 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm.. may be ever so slightly of your way but southern rider training in sidcup seem a nice bunch Thumbs Up
____________________
-southlondoner-
2002 Honda CG125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:15 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

odoliam wrote:

I'm from Tipperary...town called Cahir. you've probably passed through or right by it if going from Limerick to Cork.


Of course I have and i've also been in the castle. It does look good at night when you go past.
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

odoliam
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 21 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:08 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah...only been in once or twice myself. you know what it's like when you live right beside something!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

king kong
Nearly there...



Joined: 05 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:32 - 02 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello and welcome odoliam

Quote:
I'm not a speed merchant at all...not even in the car so I reckon even on a sports bike I would never use all it's speed.


I was like you, wanted a Transalp or something, could'nt find or afford one though, so i got a GSX750F, bloody hell what a thrill. Welcome to the dark side
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 158 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.82 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 63.8 Kb