Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Cheap lids, any good?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:42 - 04 May 2006    Post subject: Cheap lids, any good? Reply with quote

After quite rashly selling my Caberg V2 helmet at the weekend, I am left in the situation of needing a lid to be able to test ride any potential bikes Rolling Eyes

I would love a fancy lid costing several hundred quid, but I haven't got that sort of money. Are cheap lids as safe as the more expensive brands, or do you get what you pay for not only in quality (and materials used) but in safety?
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:14 - 04 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have a couple of cheap lids, one of them free ones from the NEC and another I got for the girlfriend, to be honest the Takachi looks better than my shoei raid.

However its a lot noiser and harder to adjust vents etc. It does have the gold thingy on it, however I read an article in MCN about a takachi
lid that bust at a 30mph slide. Then there were other articles from bike gear shops, saying that they've seen them brake just falling off the back of the bike.

Further points like they get their gold sticker by vetting one lid, there is no sample done of others produced.

The letters went on to say, if you do get a cheap lid, buy one thats made in the EEC or USA/Canada.

When I go to town and I put my lid in my back pack I take the cheap lid as I don't want to scratch my shoei.
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:26 - 04 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the cheap lid from Aldi when it was on offer. Will be used for occasional pillion passenger. Turns out it's a Caberg model that isn't normally sold in this country under the Caberg brand label. It seems to have all the correct safety numbers so I'm happy.

It's not like I'm going to do anything stupid with a pillion on board. In fact I like to think I'm probably more aware.

Now if you're asking if I'd use it myself I'd probably say no. That's only because I like the flip front lids as it makes life easier. Plus I do pay to get a good, quieter model.

However, in your situation where I needed a helmet for a test or occasional pillion then I think I'd cope with the cheaper lid..
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:13 - 04 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

if they are approved then they will work ,

so far I've tested 4 nitros to destruction and those lids cost me £20 each , the extra money you pay is either for name or more features , though anti fogging visors are well worth it I reckon , so are good vents for summer.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparky
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 21 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:45 - 04 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gold stamp Thumbs Up
correct regulation numbers Thumbs Up


Just vents, design/colours brand after that pal!


they are same standard safetywise!
____________________
Previous zxr400 - Current ZXR636 late'03
*Who ever said nothing is impossible never tried slamming a revolving door!*
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Apr 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:50 - 04 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not forgetting weight, lining and visor system too.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:07 - 04 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
if they are approved then they will work ,

so far I've tested 4 nitros to destruction and those lids cost me £20 each , the extra money you pay is either for name or more features , though anti fogging visors are well worth it I reckon , so are good vents for summer.


I can see your point, but if you look at spike test results in Ride, best ones were Shoei, there was 1 lid under £100 in the top 10 test.
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:25 - 04 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know some people dont like second hand lids, but if a lid has been dropped on anything other than carpet or grass, it gets marked.

Therefore, an unmarked lid is probably an undamaged lid.

I got an arai astro R that retail for £330 new, for £150 second hand off ebay.

You can get lids for a tenner, if they are local to you and you pick them up.

I think something like an arai is probably safer than a cheaply made lid, and it is a bit more comfortable.
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god


Last edited by colin1 on 23:10 - 04 May 2006; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

fast_tzr
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:16 - 04 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with some of this, cheapo lids are probably made to just pass the safety regs, and nothing much else. Arai and the like, imo of course, will absorb bigger impacts better.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:47 - 04 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing is fit.

An amazingly well protecting helmet that doesn't fit will probably be a lot worse than one that just makes the safety standards, but is an excellent fit.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:33 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

theres an odd one on the market right now helmet wise , after
looking in my storage area for a spare helmet and realising I didn't
have one after destroying all of my bulk buy helmets I went out to
go try some on in a shop,

Normally I'm an XXL 64 Nitro or a XL62 Caberg or a XXL takahashi
but the new cool lookinh Caberg trip was weird , in that I fit a
L size even though the V2 my size is XL , odd that doesn't inspire
confidence that.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparky
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 21 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:39 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

fast_tzr wrote:
I disagree with some of this, cheapo lids are probably made to just pass the safety regs, and nothing much else. Arai and the like, imo of course, will absorb bigger impacts better.


safety standard is a safety standard at the end of the day, wether it just passes or flies through!

the standard will probably be a high one there wont be that much difference. its like saying a lge helmet is safer than an xxs but i doubt it.

oh thats in my opinion too by the way and in no way do i have facts to back this up fast_tzr. Karma
____________________
Previous zxr400 - Current ZXR636 late'03
*Who ever said nothing is impossible never tried slamming a revolving door!*
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

krebsy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:43 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compared to my old shark Xri, my new (£110) KBC force RR is a lot more comfortable, quieter and seems to be a lot more substantial a lid.

I was looking at 150-200 quid lids (flip up for preference including one with flip up front and built in drop down tinted visor "fighter pilot style" as I wear glasses) but I popped the KBC on and it felt "right".

My instructor said to me "buy whatever fits and is comfortable. Sod the cost, if it's the 50 quid or 500 quid lid, get what feels best."

K.
____________________
What's my New Year's resolution?

1280 x 1024.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:47 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

krebsy wrote:
Compared to my old shark Xri, my new (£110) KBC force RR is a lot more comfortable, quieter and seems to be a lot more substantial a lid.

I was looking at 150-200 quid lids (flip up for preference including one with flip up front and built in drop down tinted visor "fighter pilot style" as I wear glasses) but I popped the KBC on and it felt "right".

My instructor said to me "buy whatever fits and is comfortable. Sod the cost, if it's the 50 quid or 500 quid lid, get what feels best."

K.


yes I'm thinking that too , the KBC flip front with internal sunvisor = £125 , while the caberg trip £100 , the KBC does look alot more sturdier cept they don't make it in me size and have not got me size in stock.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Paul@125power
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 01 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:48 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think a cheap helmet reduces protection. All helmets have to meet a set standars so you will be getting adequate protection at almost every price. The extra few bob or two just give the little extras like extra comfort and ventilation.

My advice: Find the cheapest one that has double D fastening, gold sticker and feels comfortable to you. If you can also get one with vents go for it.
____________________
If at first you don't succeed.....destroy all evidence that you tried.

Yamaha YQ100 (RIP)......Honda CBR125R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

willie958
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 05 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:50 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I JUST BOUGHT AN ARAI CONDOR FOR £140 FIT KIKE A GLOVE.THE LOCAL DEALER ARE SELLING THEM AT COST. ASTRO R REPLICAS AT 280 .WORTH A CALL THEY DO MAIL ORDER 0 1 7 3 8 6 3 0 5
5 0
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ProXimaCore
Dougal



Joined: 01 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:19 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shark lids are going for bargain prices just now. Picked mine up for £67. They're doing lots of models for 50% off in most stores.
____________________
Honda NSR125R -> Suzuki GSXR400R GK76a -> Kawasaki ZX636 B1H -> Honda CBR400RR NC29 -> Nothing Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

krebsy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:42 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My KBc is really comfortable and has assorted (6) vents so it's very adjustable. A decent lid all round. Smile
____________________
What's my New Year's resolution?

1280 x 1024.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

phk6
Nearly there...



Joined: 24 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:54 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive just got a nitro n810 vx for £120 off their tinternet site and it feels solid and it fits well and is nice and cool with all them vents, and i read loads of stuff about the n810 befor i got it and its got some realy good reports and it shares alot of its features with "better" makes such as shoei and arai. id recomend one to u.

www.nitro-helmets.com
____________________
Current .. 2008 BMW R 1200 GS Adventure ..
Before .. 2003 Yamaha Fazer 1000 .. 2004 Kawazaki Z1000 .. 2003 Suzuki Sv1000s .. 1999 zx6r Track Bike .. 1999 CB 500 Cup ..
/Phil
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:54 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul@125power wrote:
I don't think a cheap helmet reduces protection. All helmets have to meet a set standars so you will be getting adequate protection at almost every price. The extra few bob or two just give the little extras like extra comfort and ventilation.


Thats what I was thinking, all helmets should meet the same standards but the quality will be lacking compared to the more expensive lids. Although Roof Boxers (£215) have problems with the vents coming off after a while Confused (according to reviews :shifty).

G is right again, the fit i everything, if it does nt fit properly then its not gonna protect yer noggin in a spill.

Quote:
My advice: Find the cheapest one that has double D fastening, gold sticker and feels comfortable to you. If you can also get one with vents go for it.


Thanks for the advice fella although I found it hard enough to fasten and undo the 'seat belt' type clips on a helmet, feck doing a double D Shocked
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:57 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

krebsy wrote:
My KBc is really comfortable and has assorted (6) vents so it's very adjustable. A decent lid all round. Smile


TBH, my Caberg had several vents and no matter how thy were arranged, open or closed it made no difference whatsoever. If I had used the lid through all seasons then I may have seen a difference?
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 156 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.57 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 116.99 Kb