Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Does your helemt fit?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

byke95
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:56 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Does your helemt fit? Reply with quote

(Thanks G for reminding me just how important this is)

I really can't find a lid that fits! I'm a 56cm circumference (so the top end of small) which makes things difficult. I been in loads of shops and tried on loads of helmets but never get that "ah, this is just right" feeling.

The best I've had since I started riding is my Sheoi, but that is only due to being 'broken in', there was a fair amount of pressure on my forehead for the first few months, leaving a red mark each time I wore it.

Does everyone have a lid that fits them i.e. deems the fit as "excellent"? Or, like me, is it a complete nightmare finding one that fits just right, giving you that horrible feeling of settling for a (expensive) lid that 'is the best of a bad bunch'.

Question
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dark
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:05 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Roof for its looks, and am now struggling with how it fits, i don't generally struggle and its only the Roof i've had problems with
____________________
My Bikes in order:- Yamaha RXS100 / Suzuki X7 250 / Yamaha RD350LC / Kawasaki
KR1S 250 / Kawasaki ZXR750 H2 / Honda C50 / Kawasaki ZX7R P5 / Kawasaki ZX10R / Suzuki GSXR 400 / Honda CBR1100 Blackbird & Yamaha FZR 600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:07 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes and no , when my hair is short it fits well , when my hair is long and extremely thick (ie 4-5 weeks after a cutting) it is very tight.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dot_Comm
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 22 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:10 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a small Arai Astro R and it fits brilliantly. OK so it was expensive, but you only get one head right? It replaced my Quantum F, and amazingly the Astro R is lighter than the Quantum F was. The Astro R is a great fit on me, don't know my head size though (other than small, obviously).

Some lids have extra padding you can remove, perhaps this would help you byke?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Apr 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:11 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Arai is good but I've recently tried the new ones, as Arai claim the fit has changed and they are even better. I also tried some Shoei's and they fit me better than they used to, but don't match the fit of the Arai's. I also tried some Sharks, they still feel like my chin is hanging out of the bottom and felt like the back didn't touch my head at all.

Edit - Just picking up from what Dot said, you can buy different size interior pads for Arai lids so you could all most customize the fit.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

biggerjohn
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 11 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:35 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shoei XR1000 fits me perfectly it is comfortable for 10 hour stretches at a time and doesn’t move about at all even at realistic motorway speeds and a naked bike.

Oddly enough it is a perfect fit for my brother and my dads head as well. Even though we look very different we have exactly the same size and shape head how odds that.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

byke95
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:44 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dot_Comm wrote:
Some lids have extra padding you can remove, perhaps this would help you byke?


dainesefreak wrote:
Edit - Just picking up from what Dot said, you can buy different size interior pads for Arai lids so you could all most customize the fit.


I've been down that road with the Arai (the last lid I bought was an Arai Tour X), the small without the padding was a better 'fit' but felt uncomfortable and I didn't like the idea of a medium with more padding (I wasn't even to sure what the sales guy was going with this idea...)

The Sheoi XR1000 is the best fit so far and may well be the one I go for, but for well over £300 I'm left wanting more really as it's not perfect...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Apr 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:54 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried some different brands like Suomy, Dainese, Bell?

It's worth spending some time trying a good few to find something right.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:58 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first elmit was so tight on my head it felt like ridieng arorund with a beartrap on, but it loosened off..

Current elmit i more or less allways wear a balaclava with, and fits perfcect with it on but its kinda loose without..

imo your best to get somehting thats slightly uncomfortably tight because after a couple of weeks it will loosen off quite a bit.. but then maybe arais and the like aren't the same that way.
____________________
>RidingSkills<->Tech Tips<->MyBikes<
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

feef
Energiser Bunny



Joined: 11 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:01 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried, and bought a Shark as the Ally Pally last year, as it fitted very well. However, when actually riding, I found it was uncomfortable when windblast was moving it about. it fits my girlfriend perfectly tho (so no money wasted)

my first lid was an HJC, so I went back and tried an HJC FG-14 which again fitted perfectly, so that's what I'm using now.

best thing is just try lots on, shows are good for that.

fwiw, fittingwise I find Caberg sit too high, and I feel the back of my neck/lower back of head is too exposed. Shark fit okay, but front to back are a bit long, side to side width is fine.

it's different for everyone.. just keep trying them on

a
____________________
Mudskipper wrote: feef, that is such a beautiful post that it gave me a lady tingle Laughing
Windchill calculator - London Bike parking
Blog and stuff - PlentyMoreFish dating
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

steveh
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:18 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always think its best to get a helmet thats a little tight, as with time, it does stretch and become loose, i got a medium, cant remember my size.


steve.
____________________
Current : 06 Zx10r, 07 Wr450f SM, 74 850 norton commando, 63 bsa b40, 1962 Triton 650, 67 Triumph Tr6r, 1955 Triton 750, 1978 TY250E.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Psychonaut
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 10 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:38 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried loads on. I origionally settled for HJC as if was the best fit for price but then my GF said she would buy it me for my birthday pressie so I tried some more expensive ones and found the bet overall was AGV stealth. Fitted perfect for the summer but when it got cold I tried a balaclava but it was painfully tight so I had to go with a neck warmer/snood pulled up to my ears/over nose - now 1 year later , used every day and its still great (even smells good after taking it apart and washing it with baby shampoo)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

andrea
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:41 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a suomy extreme, fits perfectly, very light and no problem lifting with windblast
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:47 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoei Raid I for me.

Fits way better than any other helmet I've tried so far.
I'd get yourself to a bike show or similar and wander around trying all the helmets on their - should be able to do 30 - 40 in day.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

palmer
Fiddled Kiddy



Joined: 21 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:05 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

im about 56/57 and a large suomi fits me like a glove Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

byke95
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:18 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
I'd get yourself to a bike show or similar and wander around trying all the helmets on their - should be able to do 30 - 40 in day.


Feels like I tried that many already, I keep on getting really sore ears from taking them on and off all the time!

Quote:
im about 56/57 and a large suomi fits me like a glove


palmer, wouldn't that make you a small/medium?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Tot
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:18 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My medium Shoei XR1000 is light as a feather and it's not physically large. For 200 big ones, it's not particularly cheap, but at the same time, it ain't that expensive either.

The fit is cossetting, supportive and firm. It wants to hug your face. I've tried arais and agv's and all the rest and found that i'm being artificially padded in so that i can fit the lid. Different lids support different heads. I guess my head suits the shell of shoei helmets better then. I also liked my HJC AC10 - wasn't exaclty top of the range, but lasted me 3 years and i'm very happy with it.
____________________
The Tot 2019 Z1000SX - 2007 R1
Never argue with autism
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ram_doom
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:30 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a shoei head 57-58 cm apparently Very Happy tried a medium roof diversion when I went pillion on a fast bike and the thing was lifting up and the strap was choking me Neutral
____________________
TL1000s, KDX200
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob W
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:32 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My AGV X-Vent fits me absolutely perfectly, best fitting helmet I've ever had.
____________________
'90 TS50 > '04 Senda 125 > '91 ZXR400 > '90 CB-1 > '04 GSX-R1000 > '96 Bandit 600 > '89 ZXR750 H1 > '96 GSX-R750 SRAD > '98 RR-W Fireblade > '98 T595 Daytona > '03 Hornet 900 > '04 Fireblade > '16 GSX-S1000F (x2) > '23 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

McGee
O RLY?



Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:33 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

HJC for the win they fit well. Thumbs Up
____________________
◙◙► K6 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 1000 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► 96 RF600r ◄◙◙
◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►
Its pronounced Jixxer!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

phk6
Nearly there...



Joined: 24 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:47 - 05 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive got a nitro n810vx and it fits my head perfectly the cheek pads were abit tight when i got it 2 weeks back but its now bedded in nicely and makes me feel safe which is more then my old helmet used to do.
____________________
Current .. 2008 BMW R 1200 GS Adventure ..
Before .. 2003 Yamaha Fazer 1000 .. 2004 Kawazaki Z1000 .. 2003 Suzuki Sv1000s .. 1999 zx6r Track Bike .. 1999 CB 500 Cup ..
/Phil
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarkJ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:08 - 06 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a KBC Force RR which fits perfectly. The next best one in the shop at the time was an Arai/Shoei (can't remember which, was one of the expensive makes anyway) which was £300ish, and my KBC was £110 Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:09 - 06 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mrs says yes after the initial pain. Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The View Askew
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:10 - 06 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear an HJC silver/black tribal helmet. I have a 95cm head, and it fits like a second skull. Always has, never had a problem with the helmet, EVER, however the visor is a never ending nightmare.
____________________
"Do what you always did, get what you always got"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

michael j
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:18 - 06 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Shoei XR1000 aswell.When I bought it the guy in the shop made me wear it for 15 mins to check for comfort and fit. Really impressed with it so far. Don't be afraid to wander around the shop looking like a tit untill you find a lid that fits, its worth it.
____________________
Ducati 996
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 155 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.97 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 128.48 Kb