Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


test!!!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

jules666y
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 12 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:46 - 12 May 2006    Post subject: test!!! Reply with quote

Hi everyone, first of all...this is my first post so be gentle with me! Taking my test a week on Sat, only the cat.A so that I can hopefully get the L plates off my 125. Have been riding it for 8months now, before that a scooter for a year! The only training was my CBT but I have been a driver for years. What do you think my chances are? I'm quite confident but scared I might have picked up bad habits, ok on u turns etc but I seem to sort of hurtle to a stop when i pull up, not very controlled. Help!! any advice very welcome. xx
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jamie.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:15 - 12 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you havent had lessons you will fail, Alough here in northern ireland there is only one test, none of this 4 tests bullshit Razz

So I dont even know what the Cat. A. is, but if you havent done lessons or at least know what to do (lifesavers, mirrors etc) then Its a waste of money
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sephiroth
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:19 - 12 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Jamie is a bit wrong in saying "you will fail". I mean there are some people who could pass without taking lessons but I would recommend having a few.

I have my re-test a week Tuesday and I'm booking a few lessons in before that.

Another little tip - Go and ride around the area where the test would be taken just to get used to which roads go where etc...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!



Joined: 05 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:22 - 12 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you havent had lessons you will fail


Rubbish! Yokogeri on here, took no lessons and passed first time! All he did was follow a couple of us and watch what we did.

One suggestion would be to find a sensible rider and ask him to follow you to see if he can see anything obvious that would cause you to fail your test, also observe them as well, see what you can learn.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jamie.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:23 - 12 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong? Are you mad! Im never wrong RazzRazz

But seriously, it will be very very difficult to pass if you havent had lessons or know what your doing exactly. Its not just a case of going out and driving about like you normally do. ONE thing to remember is always STOP with your foot on the brake and dont stop with your right foot down
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sephiroth
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:26 - 12 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foot on both breaks? Wink.


Yeah like Davo said, follow someone who is an experienced rider (or just passed their test is a good bet) which is what I'll be doing if I can find anyone who isn't old and a bad rider Thumbs Up.

I only really failed on road positioning to be honest (there was that crossing incident but I consider that a fluke!).

Get some lessons Thumbs Up Mr. Green.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jules666y
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 12 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:05 - 12 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks everyone for the replies, I might just do that, book a quick couple of lessons! I have been riding for a bit though, and I am pretty good with doing my mirrors/lifesavers/hendon shuffle lol.
Also I figured if I fail at least its only the test fee and the examiner will tell me the really bad stuff so I know what to work on....
I printed the test routes off too, there's 5 different ones at the test centre I'm using, have been round a couple of them, going to do the others this weekend. There's a 70mph dual carriageway on the test routes, my 125 almost explodes at 60mph so I don't know if they can fail you for not making good enuf progress??
anyway keep yer fingers crossed for me... please !!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sephiroth
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:41 - 12 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah forgot about that, my examiner said that the slip road is for building up speed.

Didn't have the heart to tell him I was trying to!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sephiroth
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:41 - 12 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

And people keeping their fingers crossed never helped me Wink.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Vin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Aug 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:46 - 12 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much does the test cost and how much are lessons. I would just turn up and do the test. There is plenty of information available as to what you are s'posed to do.
If you fail you will know what to expect next time and what to practice. Kind of like a lesson but with a good chance you'll pass.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jules666y
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 12 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:47 - 12 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

And people keeping their fingers crossed never helped me .
_________________

Lol! I'm sure you'll pass next time, sounds like only a couple of things went wrong.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jamie.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:47 - 12 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt go over 45mph during my test, since thats all your allowed to. My instructor never decucted marks for it and the instructor I did the lessons with said not to go over 45mph....
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jules666y
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 12 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:54 - 12 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I didnt go over 45mph during my test, since thats all your allowed to. My instructor never decucted marks for it and the instructor I did the lessons with said not to go over 45mph....


Hi Jamie, I got a survival skills cd from Kevin Williams & he specifically says the examiner will expect you to go up to the speed limit, to show you can cope with it, conditions permitting!! So I'm glad to read what you said cos there's no way my bike will go that fast!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jamie.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:04 - 12 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually stayed around 42mph incase my clock was wrong and i was actually doing 50 or something, BUT ONE THING he did say, which I lost marks for was not accellerating quick enough up the carrageway. I was trying not to incase he thought I was accellerating too quick Wink

The best thing was, thats the only thing I lost marks for if I remember correctly, and the place I got my lessons from was right beside the test centre so I went there after I passed to thank my instructor and stuff and guess who was benind me at the traffic lights? Only the guy that took me for the test! I purposly didnt do any obvious mirror checks or lifesavers and done quite an impressive wheelie at the lights Wink (for a laugh) I bet he thought "f*king chav Very Happy


Last edited by Jamie. on 15:07 - 12 May 2006; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sephiroth
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:06 - 12 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bike accelerates slower than one of those disabled thingies from Tesco or Asda.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jamie.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:08 - 12 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sephiroth wrote:
My bike accelerates slower than one of those disabled thingies from Tesco or Asda.


lol, karma for that Mr. Green
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Makaveli_Rydah
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 07 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:09 - 12 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's this about not going over 40 mph in the test ?

My instructor tells me to expect dual carriageways around the test centre - 70mph limit and tells me the examiner will expect me to get to that speed as quickly as possible Confused Confused Confused
____________________
Bike History:- Vision / Phantom 100 / Aerox 100 / Runner VX125 / Honda VFR400 NC24 / Kwak ZX9R B3 / Honda CBR600 F / ZZR400 & K2 GSXR 750 / Suzuki VZ800
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lawnie
Nearly there...



Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:46 - 12 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

jules666y wrote:
I might just do that, book a quick couple of lessons! I have been riding for a bit though, and I am pretty good with doing my mirrors/lifesavers/hendon shuffle lol.


Don't forget that you'd likely be less confident for your test, without having any lessons, which could have adverse effects upon your riding.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jules666y
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 12 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:52 - 12 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makaveli_Rydah wrote:
What's this about not going over 40 mph in the test ?

My instructor tells me to expect dual carriageways around the test centre - 70mph limit and tells me the examiner will expect me to get to that speed as quickly as possible Confused Confused Confused


Hi Makaveli - been reading your ongoing post btw, it's brilliant, really helpful.
Er... I know a lot of people here are probably doing the DAS but I'm only doing my test on a 125 so it won't physically do over 60mph!!! I was told to try & get up to max speed and the examiner will take into account the fact that you're riding a sewing machine lol. ?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

h00dwink
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:35 - 14 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you think you stand much of a chance without lessons. i'd think you'd be very wrong. before i did lessons i thought i was the muts nuts. first lesson, my instructor pointed out everything i did wrong. boy was i surprised. my test is tuesday, i'm still a little nervous i might fuck up somewhere.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sephiroth
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:43 - 14 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about your test, go driving around the test area to get used to the roads, especially during the time which your test is booked for!


Lessons are a must, unless you've got someone close who is a good driver and points out your mistakes!

Although some pass without lessons (I was close-ish) I would recommend them.

Good luck on your test, don't worry, relax, and don't fuck up!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jules666y
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 12 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:12 - 15 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sephiroth wrote:
Don't worry about your test, go driving around the test area to get used to the roads, especially during the time which your test is booked for!


Lessons are a must, unless you've got someone close who is a good driver and points out your mistakes!

Although some pass without lessons (I was close-ish) I would recommend them.

Good luck on your test, don't worry, relax, and don't fuck up!


Thanks for that Sephiroth, I've been riding round the 5 test routes for motorcycles today, seem a bit scary but I'm going to try & not freak out, give it a go. Will let you know what I fail on lol !!! Good luck with your retest too, I'm sure you'll be fine
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sephiroth
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:14 - 15 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

People said that on my first test and look how it turned out Wink.


Main points - U turn, road position, life savers

Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:30 - 15 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makaveli_Rydah wrote:
What's this about not going over 40 mph in the test ?

My instructor tells me to expect dual carriageways around the test centre - 70mph limit and tells me the examiner will expect me to get to that speed as quickly as possible Confused Confused Confused

45mph speed limit for learners is just for people in Northern Ireland.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

garry
Nova Slayer



Joined: 09 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:42 - 15 May 2006    Post subject: test Reply with quote

no matter how good you or yer mates think they are, its well worth taking even a couple of lessons from the guys who know the area/examiners .. most instructors tend to know the routes and the way the examiners work. dont forget they are there to help you through the test, tis only then you can learn to ride Laughing
____________________
so long so long so long and thanks for all the fish !
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 142 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.52 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 127.8 Kb