Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Good news / Bad news

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:18 - 15 May 2006    Post subject: Good news / Bad news Reply with quote

Good news is, I picked up the ZX7R!

First impressions, holy shit!

Anyways, I must admit all my fears of this machine have gone no that I’ve clocked some mileage on it.

I’m yet to experience problems with the bike but then if I thought of that every 5 minutes I’d never ride it.
I rode back from Stoke on Trent Saturday afternoon, I felt terrible because when I eventually saw the bike in flesh it was even cleaner than I first thought, this guy was a fair weather rider, and he adored his handy work with the polish.
The weather was crap, he stood there not looking to happy the thing was being rained on, LOL, it was a nice smooth transaction, all documents present, all original parts thrown in the back of the girlfriends car, keys handed over.

I stood there looking very happy with my new huge black Ninja, all on its own in the car park, the key in hand and the kit in the car.
I was very nervous on the thing as I pulled away from the Keele service station to get some fuel.
It was a laugh at the BP, I didn’t know the full workings of the Datatool alarm so I had some smirks from the customers as I got off my immaculate Ninja fumbling for my key fob and cursing under my breath trying my hardest to look cool as the ear piercing scream of the thing echoed around the forecourt. Evil or Very Mad

I exited the BP to the motorway and the journey began, the weather up there was bleak, even so the Kwak performed superbly, I’m not sure of the exact model but these Dunlop tyres got me comfortably through the damp, wet, to heavy rain conditions, back to dry again and then rain again without touching fabric. Lol

The weight of the bike I think helps this thing glide around bends and sort you out a line whether it is over taking or just straight forward motorway riding, I was having no problems with the weight but then I hadn’t met any tricky corners.
I think the slightly smaller tyre combined with the suspension it has makes for some great cornering though, I was finding myself cheating the inexperience on the machine because of the way the bike performs, perhaps this is because I have come from a much lighter sports, the VFR, but I seriously felt like I belonged on the bike.
I didn’t in anyway push the bike on the way home, the weather wasn’t that brilliant for one and also I could feel that this bike could surprise me at any time because of the increase in power.

I got back to Cheltenham in one piece, had a cup of tea and bacon sarnie, then it was a quick peck on the cheek for the missus for the re-fuel, I got my kit on and out the door I went. It looked like I had an hour to kill with some much better weather before I went to a BBQ at my old dears please, so I took her out on some Cotswold roads near by for a full examination of the machines capabilities.

The one thing I hadn’t got used to on the journey back was the noises of thing, I haven’t had an inline four before, I sat on the motorway at 80-90mph thinking I’d lost 6th gear somewhere because the thing was so revvy, I could clearly see the rev clock went to over 15K but at around 6-8 (the rev’s I was changing at) it sounded like it was going some.

HA….. Razz

I found some nice roads, no traffic, very quiet out in the country, I was just bumbling along at around 5-6K in 6th along the roads enjoying the weather. I decided it was time to drop it down a cog, it hit about 10-12K now and that made me smile, I needed some more so down it went again all this happened in about two seconds flat, I braced myself and throttle was whacked open, I hit 120mph before you could say Kawasaki and it wasn’t going to stop there, I let off the throttle to hear the full scorpion system rumble and pop as I glided effortlessly into some bends. Twisted Evil Thumbs Up
After a couple more blats like this I decided it was time to go home before I miss my sisters birthday, I headed towards Cheltenham town centre, this is what I’d been dreading TBH, the bike is heavy and wide so town riding might be a complete nightmare. Using all my six years experience I got through town with no worries, keep the Kwak on a roll and the thing is as balanceable as the VFR, I can sit at the lights without putting a foot down if I want to. You wouldn’t want to do this for along time but as long as I kept moving I felt pretty safe.

TBH I haven’t ridden it as much as I’d like to but from what I have experienced I can tell I’m going to be happy with this bike, the power isn’t to much for me, the weight is not really and issue now, and I’m not going to be as sad to see the VFR go.

Ok, so you were loving the good news, but what about the bad news……

It’s not really that bad but I’ve been a twat, I locked the bike up last night and forgot about the disc lock on the front, unlike the VFR the front mud guard covers the shocks, I rolled the bike back to get out of the lock up and heard a crack.
I’ve snapped part of the mudguard off, I was fuming.
Is there anything I can do about it, I couldn’t see the piece anywhere but it was a fair chunk.

Cheers…

Killa
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fastgut
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 07 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:27 - 15 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice little review. Crying or Very sad about the mudguard.
____________________
Was a driving instructor now working in Insurance
Bikes:2005 Speed Triple and 2004 FZ6 Fazer (now the other half's)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:28 - 15 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you could find the missing bit you could try and reattach it with araldite... wont look nice but it would hold it...

Is it the zx7 with the square looking back end?

btw.. take good care of your chain adjuster, get some hose and use it like a sleeve over the threds (was helping somebody yester with one.. put it this way, it involved sticks and hammers)

Have fun with it Very Happy
____________________
>RidingSkills<->Tech Tips<->MyBikes<
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

akaDAVE
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:35 - 15 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's have some pics then!
____________________
GSXR600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:36 - 15 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, there are pictures in the picture section the forum if you want a look. I havent taken any yet.

I have some Wickes contact adesive at home, would that be any good?
As the bike is black will you see a line where i repaired it?
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:43 - 15 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

killa wrote:

I have some Wickes contact adesive at home, would that be any good?
As the bike is black will you see a line where i repaired it?


Never used it before tbh.. araldite is two parts, mix it, put some on, tape over what you want sticking and leave it as long as you can.. its bloody strong stuff, and that mudguard is gonna be quite brittle.. if you sanded it down carefully you might get away with it, but that would mean respraying it too Sad (so a can of black and laquer, unless you have some about)
____________________
>RidingSkills<->Tech Tips<->MyBikes<
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Delvard
Traffic Copper



Joined: 22 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:12 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Re: Good news / Bad news Reply with quote

killa wrote:
Good news is, I picked up the ZX7R!

Ok, so you were loving the good news, but what about the bad news……

It’s not really that bad but I’ve been a twat, I locked the bike up last night and forgot about the disc lock on the front, unlike the VFR the front mud guard covers the shocks, I rolled the bike back to get out of the lock up and heard a crack.
I’ve snapped part of the mudguard off, I was fuming.
Is there anything I can do about it, I couldn’t see the piece anywhere but it was a fair chunk.

Cheers…

Killa



You must have a few £ left Wink

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/kawasaki-zx7r-carbon-fibre-front-mudguard-zx7rr_W0QQitemZ8066138409QQcategoryZ10464QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
____________________
A thing of beauty is a joy for ever: Its loveliness increases; it will never Pass into nothingness; but still will keep A bower quiet for us, and a sleep Full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:25 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yuk! Sick Thumbs Down
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

yzf750r
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:35 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killa have a look here https://redmonkey.com/7r/ If you have any probs, some guys on there are american but alot are in the UK too. I have just got a 7r too! Cool Thumbs Up
____________________
04 zx10r with mods - 187.4bhp at the wheel! :o
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:52 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to have problems on that site, I can’t type more than one line posts!

Any advice?
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

yzf750r
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:57 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea. Stupid question but are you typing in the large box that comes up or the subject box?

There is a few people off here that are also on that website, Tarche2, WN and possibly BarryMC21 (under BarryM2)?
____________________
04 zx10r with mods - 187.4bhp at the wheel! :o
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:04 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent the message to Dark and he couldn’t put it all on there either.

Confused
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

yzf750r
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:07 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want me to try? Smile
____________________
04 zx10r with mods - 187.4bhp at the wheel! :o
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:24 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM!
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:26 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice writeup, my move to big bikes have been as enlightening as well, although I still miss the ultimate (road legal(ish)) thrashability of a barking 400 V4.

Go give it a clean, there still might be time before the bike melts.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yzf750r
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:32 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

killa wrote:
PM!


Are you using the same username on there?
____________________
04 zx10r with mods - 187.4bhp at the wheel! :o
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dark
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:45 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ha... i've just found this thread, glad it went well mate. Shame about the mud guard though.

I wouldn't bother trying to fix it and start looking for a replacement.
____________________
My Bikes in order:- Yamaha RXS100 / Suzuki X7 250 / Yamaha RD350LC / Kawasaki
KR1S 250 / Kawasaki ZXR750 H2 / Honda C50 / Kawasaki ZX7R P5 / Kawasaki ZX10R / Suzuki GSXR 400 / Honda CBR1100 Blackbird & Yamaha FZR 600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dark
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:49 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a few people are experiencing problems posting on the redmonkey 7R forum

https://www.redmonkey.com/7r/messages.php?msg=10353.1
____________________
My Bikes in order:- Yamaha RXS100 / Suzuki X7 250 / Yamaha RD350LC / Kawasaki
KR1S 250 / Kawasaki ZXR750 H2 / Honda C50 / Kawasaki ZX7R P5 / Kawasaki ZX10R / Suzuki GSXR 400 / Honda CBR1100 Blackbird & Yamaha FZR 600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dark
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:52 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

and another thread

https://www.redmonkey.com/7r/messages.php?msg=9824.1
____________________
My Bikes in order:- Yamaha RXS100 / Suzuki X7 250 / Yamaha RD350LC / Kawasaki
KR1S 250 / Kawasaki ZXR750 H2 / Honda C50 / Kawasaki ZX7R P5 / Kawasaki ZX10R / Suzuki GSXR 400 / Honda CBR1100 Blackbird & Yamaha FZR 600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yzf750r
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:52 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

so it seems! Confused

I put up quite a large thread yesterday for myslef, but I try putting Killas on and it only enters the first line! Thumbs Down

BTW killa I found you KB27! Karma Thumbs Up
____________________
04 zx10r with mods - 187.4bhp at the wheel! :o
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:17 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kool, cheers for that.

I was going mad over that.....

No idea where i can get another black mudgaurd. Crying or Very sad
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

yzf750r
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:19 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

does it have to be genuine?

https://www.skidmarx.co.uk/pricesl_front_guards.htm ?
____________________
04 zx10r with mods - 187.4bhp at the wheel! :o


Last edited by yzf750r on 14:24 - 16 May 2006; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:23 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess not, as long as the paints good.
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser



Joined: 20 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:16 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit messy, but if you can find the snapped off bit you could probably fibreglass the inside of the pieces so they stick together without looking too unsightly.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew



Joined: 05 Nov 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:51 - 17 May 2006    Post subject: Re: Good news / Bad news Reply with quote

killa wrote:
the bike is heavy and wide

Really? mine wasn't. Confused
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 139 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 1.15 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 134.84 Kb