Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


taking (and keeping) your bike abroad

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Keen
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Apr 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:52 - 15 May 2006    Post subject: taking (and keeping) your bike abroad Reply with quote

In the summer (June/July) I'm planning on riding my bike down to the south of france, then staying there, probably for around a year. My question is, will I need to re-register the bike there with french plates? I'm hoping to just use it out there on UK plates (ahem... no tickets) especially since I intend to bring it back to the UK.
I was out there last year and just changing the registered owner on the french bike I bought involved a day off work spent in queue after queue in this nightmare orwellian temple of mindless bureaucracy, with a 90 euro 'administration fee' for the privledge. Don't fancy anymore of that. It was so soul-crushing I took a week to fully recover.

What does The Law say on this? is this gonna be a mountain of hassle for me or is it no problem?
I know I'll have to look into this in detail, just wondered if anyone else has had experience with this and could offer some advice Thumbs Up
____________________
"he who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man"- Dr. Johnson
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

steveh
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:21 - 15 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a years travel insurance banged on your policy Razz

Not really sure mate.


Steve.
____________________
Current : 06 Zx10r, 07 Wr450f SM, 74 850 norton commando, 63 bsa b40, 1962 Triton 650, 67 Triumph Tr6r, 1955 Triton 750, 1978 TY250E.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Keen
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Apr 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:18 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah,

I'll find out from my insurance company if they cover me abroad, if not I guess I'll change to a policy that does and leave it at that, coppers will just assume I'm visiting/touring anyway, especially since my french is shit.
____________________
"he who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man"- Dr. Johnson
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:28 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume it won't be a problem, loads of the Bastard Polish and Portuguese have their cars over here on their plates and have been here well over a year. If they are insured or not is a completely different kettle of fish.
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

feef
Energiser Bunny



Joined: 11 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:36 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Re: taking (and keeping) your bike abroad Reply with quote

Keen wrote:
I'm hoping to just use it out there on UK plates (ahem... no tickets)


no tickets, or UK plates are a bit pointless when you can get an immediate ban and they confiscate your bike on the spot. (after dropping you off at the nearest motorway exit of course)

it can happen, and a mate of mine only saved his 3.0l merc SLK from being confiscated when he was stopped for speeding, cos his partner was there to drive it instead.

i THINK it's 40km/h over the Autoroute limit can see you walking a long way.

a
____________________
Mudskipper wrote: feef, that is such a beautiful post that it gave me a lady tingle Laughing
Windchill calculator - London Bike parking
Blog and stuff - PlentyMoreFish dating
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam_P
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:11 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine has a villa and boat out in Spain and has aleft hand drive Discovery parked at the airport in secure parking to use while he's out there (quite regularly, as is his family) it's on UK plates. UK registered and insured in the UK (just has European cover on the policy).

The only thing you'll need to worry about is Tax and MOT. The reason I know this is because I've had the privilege of driving said vehicle back to the UK, twice, so that he can Tax and MOT it over here. (Yes, he has money Cool )

I'm assuming (never a good thing) that France is the same.
____________________
Colin McRae MBE 1968 - 2007 RIP Sad
Orwell Rolls in his Grave
God is imaginary
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

WATCHOUT!
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:12 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

you'll be fine. If you get stopped, just say you brought it with you last week. They can't prove a thing. I would stay as far away from French bureaucracy as possible (speaking from experience). There's a reason the French invented that word.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JeffT
Crazy Courier



Joined: 05 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:36 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess checking with ya insurance company is the first step.
I have just got back from a week in France on the bike and when I phoned up my insurance company to check what level of european cover I had, they informed me same as in the UK except it is not valid for stays of more than 30days.

I guess this could well vary from company to company but worth checking.

As for the confiscation thing in France, a friend (tit) of mine got caught doing 153mph on the autoroute in France.
He got a 550 Euro fine and his bike confiscated for a week, as well as a weeks ban! This meant he had to go pillion for the whole holiday and then go back and collect his bike. SO this definatley happens, although as to what speed they start doing it as is another thing.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser



Joined: 20 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:05 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked into this a little... think a big problem will be the 98bhp power limit to register on French plates. Apparently even on something like an SV you have to get the bike certified/dyno'd to prove that it's under the limit, the process costs quite a bit. That figure may be a crank figure too, so a Hornet might be over that = expensive restriction needed before you can even register. They're quite strict on this as well.

Most insurance companies only give you 30-45 days or so at a time, and bearing in mind you won't be living at your UK address it could well be proven invalid. I suppose you could always book a cheapo dover-calais daytrip every month to 'prove' you've been coming back home Razz

If it was me I'd take the risk with insurance, or buy a bike while you're over there, said to be a lot less hassle than registering a plus 98bhp at the crank UK bike.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

fast_tzr
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:47 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry too much, I know plenty of english and dutch people here in Spain with dutch and english plates still on there cars, a good few people I know have been here 2 years or so.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jazoli
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:47 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in spain and run my bike on uk plates, I have a uk address and my insurance covers me for 90 days per trip, with no limit on the amount of trips, they would have to prove that I hadn't arrived with it in the back of a van last week.

Mot's are a problem, so I haven't got one, I know the bike is in A1 shape, I have been pulled and never asked to produce it.

Tax? A photocopy works for me, I will get back to uk and tax/mot it at some point but 1600 miles = a very sore arse!
____________________
https://www.casa1011.com Quality accomodation in Spain, shameless plug Very Happy

Bike:Speed Triple
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Keen
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Apr 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:10 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for all the advice Thumbs Up

I asked some expats what the crack was as well... they say that french insurance companies will cover a bike with uk plates, so I might change my insurance when I get down there for peace of mind, depending on what my current policy says on the matter.

that was my main concern so it should be alright Thumbs Up just gotta ride the bike down there now... Smile
____________________
"he who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man"- Dr. Johnson
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 141 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.56 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 76.83 Kb