Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

daytona 675 review No 2

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

spitfire
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:49 - 28 Jan 2006    Post subject: daytona 675 review No 2 Reply with quote

Sorry to those who have heard enough about the Daytona 675, on the other hand why are you reading this thread?

"Believe the hype" seems to be the line thrown around in the press? Today it was my chance to attach myself to this statement. I was given the chance to test ride my dealer's demo bike, so off I went, it was a beautiful sunny morning. There are two factors that will influence the comments I make below; one is that it was bitterly cold, the car told me it was -2, despite the overnight gritting the roads were quite, no, very slippery especially in the shade. The second factor was that the bike was yet to be fully run in, the dealer kindly asked me to keep it below 6000rpm, something I adhered to, after all someone would buy this bike and it would become their pride and joy....there is no need to thrash it, I could get the idea taking it easy.

To begin I was not keen on the gold colour, I think the old Daytona yellow was better, that said looking again at the attached photo's it's seems to have grown on me, I am glad though that I have ordered the Graphite colour.

Sitting on the bike requires quite a high lift of your leg to get on, the back end is very high, if you were not careful you could catch your foot on the rear seat and end up on your arse. For reference I am 5" 9 ish, of normal build. Once mounted you immediately feel that high back end, you are in a very race prone stance pushed over the bars, I did not like this to start with, party due to the fact I have been riding my trail bike around for months so this position felt a little extreme.

Starting the engine brought the first delight of the day, it sounds lovely, has a real "rasp" sound, partly due to the triple layout and partly due to the airbox I am lead to believe. Knocked it into gear, the pegs and rear sets are a long way back, my initial attempt to find first lead me to pushing thin air, a quick re-adjustment found a click and off I went.

Took it real easy for a while until the bike was warm, left town and got to the national speed limit signs, 2 cars in front gave me my first overtake, opening the throttle I rapidly moved forward, that low down power is really apparent, no knocking down of gears to get the revs like on the R6, it just goes, short shift up the box, keeping the revs below 6 and the cars are dispensed with. The engine really barks, a large smile appears on my face, you will love the engine and you will love it's sound. I would like to know what it's like taking it to the red line, will know soon I guess. The gearing seem very low, I know sports bikes are like this but there was more than once where I pushed for another gear only to find I was already in top, something to adjust to I guess. 6000rpm in top = 70mph

What about cornering? To be honest I took it real easy because of the road conditions and the £500 excess hanging over me if I stacked the bike. That said from what I could tell out on the twisty "B" roads, the bike was very stable, I'm confident that the cornering ability of the bike is far better than me, or indeed most riders full stop. At one point I took a sharp "S" bend and on the left hand exit the back end broke away, not due to throttle but a slippery road, I just eased and off went into the slide.....the bike lined up nicely and off I went, seems the Daytona can be forgiving.

One thing I was very impressed with for a sports bike was the seat, it's narrow and thin but surprisingly comfy, I was out for nearly 2 hours and was riding all the time except for one fuel stop and one photo stop, my backside was not numb at all, thinking back, after an hour on the R6 the pain was quite severe. Because of the riding position, it is heavy on the arms as mentioned previously but, this was soon forgotten as the buzz of riding the bike took over, once you are moving the wind keeps the weigh off your arms anyway.

Despite the frozen feet, hands, limited traction and RPM, this bike is a real hoot! I loved every minute of riding it, can't wait for mine to be run in and the warm evening sun on my back.

Bad points, well the mirrors are poor, but aren't they always? There is no storage space....well there is a tiny space, but if you have an alarm fitted then that goes as well, so forget storing your sweets, change and disk lock. On the subject of security, the alarm is extra, that will take the price up to 7.5k, but I guess it's a wise thing to fit one. The riding position is extreme but not as bad as a Ducati 7xx or 9xx, plus a tweak of the pre-load will bring the back end down, I have asked my dealer to do this.

Should I have put in an order before I could have ridden the bike...well no I probably shouldn't.

Am I glad I did?.........Yes!

I think most who have ordered this bike will not be disappointed.

I have attached a couple of pics of the Bike, outside the gate of some country house, deep in the Herts countryside.

Cheers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 19:07 - 28 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

good review, when do you get yours then?

Hope you dont have to wait to long!

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:13 - 28 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at how exposed (and dirty) the rear end is in that second picture you'll be wanting a decent hugger too! Nice looking bike though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ant
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:47 - 28 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one, sounds like "the" bike to have at the moment!

If only i could Razz

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 21:17 - 28 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll get one in about 5 years time, when they they are a little cheaper.

They sound nice. A few people have said stuff about the mirrors which makes me a bit curious. Its the only complaint Ive heard so far though Smile

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 21:53 - 28 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bike is the sex Shocked

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:50 - 29 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn that rear end is high! Shocked

Lovely looking bike though, although I do agree to an extent about the gold.

Nice review. Smile Thumbs Up

Cog Head
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 01:00 - 29 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you get it, to make it ultra sexual, get the union jack fairings, union jack shoi helmet or what ever make it is, and a set of union jack leathers with union jack knee sliders...i will consider you god if you do that...that it my dream combo of kit Cool

TOM M
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:03 - 29 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good review, sounds like a very nice bike to own Thumbs Up

Quite like the sound of the graphite colour that you've ordered Thumbs Up

NitroNorry
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:23 - 29 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good review mr Spitfire. My dealer didn't ask me to take the revs steady - in fact he told me to give it some and asked me when I go back if I'd managed to spin it up a bit!

So, I can tell you that it goes like a dream at higher revs. It was also very cold and slippery when I rode it on Friday - but it behaved great and handled really well. It feels really small when you are on it - but it looks fine (my bro who is the same size as me had a quick blast and he looked fine.) In fact Bro said how good it looked when following it on his Blade.

So I'm looking forward to getting mine (graphite of course) as well Cool

Martin

Groove
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:36 - 29 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked That first picture is fucking beautiful! Shocked

I always thought they were bice but Surprised
|| Past: 1991 Kawasaki ZXR 250 ~ 2003 Honda CBR 600 F Sport ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1999 Yamaha R1 ~ 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R J ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1998 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm ~ K1 GSXR 600 Track bike ~ K6 GSXR 1000 ~ 2006 Speed Triple 1050 || Current: 2005 R1 https://www.adrucore.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

spitfire
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:08 - 29 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evening all.

andy13_uk wrote:
good review, when do you get yours then?

Hope you dont have to wait to long!

I'm going to get it in March, I'm waiting for some cash to arrive.

silver wrote:
Looking at how exposed (and dirty) the rear end is in that second picture you'll be wanting a decent hugger too! Nice looking bike though.

There is a hugger but it is very small, I did notice this, I'm sure there will be plenty of after market ones available soon, plus lots of other bits to help you part with your money!

One thing I omitted to mention was the quality, I had a good look around the bike (mine, not the demo bike it was filthy) all seems good, right up there with anything I have seen on jap bikes. It will be interesting to see how the demo bike looks in a few months time after all those test ride s out in this weather?

cheers

3806danny
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:00 - 08 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i want one who wants to buy my bandit for £7000?

2Smoke
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:49 - 08 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far the only complaint I've heard is that it will not do 2 laps of the tt to a tankfull of petrol.. not good for any tt racers!

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Re: daytona 675 review No 2 Reply with quote

spitfire wrote:
asked me to keep it below 6000rpm, something I adhered to, after all someone would buy this bike and it would become their pride and joy....there is no need to thrash it, I could get the idea taking it easy.

I stopped reading after that Laughing

Everyone knows demo bikes are thrashed - that's what they are there for. As my Honda dealer says - how can people get a true feeling for the bike riding around under 6k rpm?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked at the piccies - how slack is that chain!? Shocked

And the rear tyre looks a bit bald Confused

jay12329
Dr. Evil

PostPosted: 20:07 - 16 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

AcIdBuRnZ wrote:
Just looked at the piccies - how slack is that chain!? Shocked

And the rear tyre looks a bit bald Confused

That chain does need sorting, but that is how the rear tyre looks new. Its a slick on the edge.
J

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:53 - 17 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I figured that much - just like the Powers, but I was meaning the tread depth doesn't look very healthy Confused

LUXY DJ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:29 - 17 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyre looks abit low(flat) aswell Confused
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 349 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1