Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Helmet lining/padding and helmet sizes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

TeX
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 07 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:32 - 17 May 2006    Post subject: Helmet lining/padding and helmet sizes Reply with quote

hi, just wandering what the difference is between different sizes of helmet. Is the helmet exactly the same just with extra or less padding to fit the head?

The reason I ask is cause I want to buy a helmet. I've tried on an XL and it fits fine. However I cannot find one in the colour and size I want, but can find a Large size. So thinking of just buying the Large and replacing the padding with XL size padding. Would this just be the same as buying an XL helmet or is there something else different?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:42 - 17 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine the internal polystyrene structure is more to do with the size than the fabric padding, and that would be impossible to change.

Have you looked online? Since you know the size fits you, I'm sure somewhere would be able to order you the correct helmet.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Apr 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:47 - 17 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some manufacturers tend to vary the shell size and shape between helmet size and model. You might be ok with only one size difference, the shell may be the same. Personally I'd keep trying them on and find one I like without having to alter it. Or as Bendy said, if you know that the helmet fits you properly then shop around for the colour you are after. It will probably be cheaper anyway and buying replacement pads can be expensive.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Steve H
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Oct 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:47 - 17 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helmet's are different dimensions as a whole not purely in inner shell size.

They're made specifically to do a job and to amend the internal linings in anyway would damage the integrity of the helmet and its' protective properties would be affected.

Looks like you're gonna have to your adapt your clothing ensemble to match the helmet Confused

Oh and XL Shocked What have you got? A soddin' medicine ball for a head Wink
____________________
Mellow Yellow
The BCF Top TEN - 2010, 2009, 2008, The Original.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TeX
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 07 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:20 - 17 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

guess I should mention that it's a fairly cheapo KBC helmet. I'm guessing they're less likely to change the size of the helmet (in or out) to keep costs down. I did try the large on and it wasn't too bad, bit tight on the cheeks and quite tight to get on (to get past the padding at the bottom) but around the top it felt the same as the XL. I've seen some padding for 10 quid which is quite cheap. Apparantly it's last years model and shops have stopped selling them, I'd be suprised if they sold out so what they do with them I don't know but they don't sell them anymore.

I do have a fairly big head but I did measure it and it's only like 58-59 which would put in the Med-Large category but I've tried large helmets and some of them I can't even get on let alone them being too tight. Anybody else have the same problem? maybe it's just the shape of my head, it's quite round but still the place you measure should be the widest part of the head.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Apr 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:32 - 17 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look here;

https://www.harpersraceshop.co.uk/cat7_1.htm

https://www.bbbikeshop.co.uk/acatalog/KBC_HELMETS.html

https://www.hellmart.com/HelmetInfo/KBC/index.html

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=kbc+helmets&meta=

Ebay might be worth a look but I'd be looking at new new only. Lots of bike stores sell out going models on there. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

fuzz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:10 - 17 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve H wrote:
Helmet's are different dimensions as a whole not purely in inner shell size.

They're made specifically to do a job and to amend the internal linings in anyway would damage the integrity of the helmet and its' protective properties would be affected.

Looks like you're gonna have to your adapt your clothing ensemble to match the helmet Confused

Oh and XL Shocked What have you got? A soddin' medicine ball for a head Wink


Not so. Most manufacturers only have a few shell sizes and vary the amount of padding to fit different size heads. AGV and Arai are two manufacturers I know of that definately uses this method. There are also places that offer custom sizes, by taking a shell size that best fits your head, and altering the padding inside them for a perfect fit.

When I first tried on the TiTech, I picked up a large and couldn't even put it on. I tried the XL and it seemed just right. For some reason, I tried the L again and found it to be a much better fit. Try it a few times before you decide you need the bigger size, because I could have bought a helmet that didn't fit properly.
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/fuzzbcf/
Bikes: '99 NSR125R, '00 SV650S, K1 GSX-R600, '97 CB500, K3 SV1000S, '16 VFR800
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

feef
Energiser Bunny



Joined: 11 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:07 - 17 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeX wrote:
guess I should mention that it's a fairly cheapo KBC helmet. I'm guessing they're less likely to change the size of the helmet (in or out) to keep costs down. I did try the large on and it wasn't too bad, bit tight on the cheeks and quite tight to get on (to get past the padding at the bottom) but around the top it felt the same as the XL.


bear in mind the padding will compress in time. As long as the helmet isn't uncomfortably tight, I'd consider wearing the large and seeing how it goes.

a
____________________
Mudskipper wrote: feef, that is such a beautiful post that it gave me a lady tingle Laughing
Windchill calculator - London Bike parking
Blog and stuff - PlentyMoreFish dating
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:30 - 17 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

dainesefreak wrote:

Ebay might be worth a look but I'd be looking at new new only. Lots of bike stores sell out going models on there. Thumbs Up


if an outgoing model is half the price of a new one, that could be well worth getting in my opinion
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 138 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.68 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 64.2 Kb