Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Where now for a man of my calibre?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

whackamole
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 06 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:16 - 19 May 2006    Post subject: Where now for a man of my calibre? Reply with quote

Dear all,
First of all you should know something about me before I carry on.
I'm 30. I've just passed my CBT (on Wednesday). And I have a beard. Right that's detail enough....
Recently, before doing my CBT, I had every intention of doing it then the Theory/DAS then soon after getting meself an ER5 or similar.
Now I've passed though I have now started thinking about getting myself a 125 for now, getting nice and comfy on it then next spring/summer going and doing my DAS instead.

The reason being...firstly money is an issue. I'm currently reckoning that >1000 would get me a decent 125. Then I can save properly over the next 10 or so months to get my DAS and 'big bike' money together while, like I say, ''learning me trade'' on the 125.

Also, and this is hard to admit being a man and all, after doing my CBT road test thing (and stalling numerous times) I don't feel ready to go and jump on a big bike. Plus I like the idea of getting a 125 trailie and having some fun on it for a while whilst in the meantime getting those readies together for the big fun later down the line.

Now the question is, is this sensible? The biker mates I have all tell me I'll be bored senseless on a 125 in no time but my argument is, I had fun on my CBT (on a GN125) and if I got a trailie and could have blasts off road as well as on.

Any help/hints/advice from those a lot more knowledgable than I would be really really appreciated.

On paper my little idea seems bombproof, but am I missing something on the big picture?
____________________
Be nice.

CBR600F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:29 - 19 May 2006    Post subject: Re: Where now for a man of my calibre? Reply with quote

Big bikes are often easier to ride, however your plan does sound sensible.

I would try and go for a 2 stroke trailie if you can.

Your plan is the sort of thing I usually reccomend.


Can still have fun on little trail bikes (or so I hope) after being on big bikes. I've had a pretty decent variety of bikes (well, sports/trail bikes) and have just got myself a cheap 125 trail bike for muddy fun.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

whackamole
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 06 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:48 - 19 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Siggi sir!
Also, for sheer amusement purposes, I must admit to stalling up the mother of all hills somewhere round the Blythe Bridge area of the S-O-T in the midlands. It took me flippin' ages to start up again. Hardcore hillstart that I really hadn't prepared to face so early on! Oh yeah, and there was a tailback of traffic and it was ratting it down with rain.
Gotta learn somehow though!
G, also cheers, what 125 you got?
I'm currently highly tempted with tw125/vanvan/xlr125 (or any trailie really but I've read good things on the xlr and it seems 98/99 00/01 seems to fall into the budget - at least according to UBG - around 1k mark).
____________________
Be nice.

CBR600F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

greatmoorred
Nearly there...



Joined: 13 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:55 - 19 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey mate.
Good idea to get a bit of practice on a 125, no shame in that at all.
I still like the look of 125 varadero's, but i dont know how it would handle "real" off roading. It would probably stall at the first site of mud, and refuse to start until you washed it Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:01 - 19 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a CRM125. Cost me £350 for a 90 model with 20,000km, had a couple of little issues which I knew about before I got it mostly.

The vanvan isn't a trail bike; it's a bike to be avoided generally, think the TW is the same. I'd look for a DT125, TS125, KMX125, CRM125 etc.

With my CRM not running quite properly I've still got around about 80mph out of it on proper off road tyres.

You may be looking at a bit older model, but you'll get one that will more happily do the national speed limit when derestricted and have a bit more go when you need it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:05 - 19 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I would say starting on a 125 would be a sensible thing to do. Gain some experience on something light and controllable.

Wonder whether those friends who said you will get bored of a 125 have actually spent any time riding a decent 125?

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

suzi_bandit
Traffic Copper



Joined: 21 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:48 - 19 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in the same predicament last year after taking my CBT. My riding experience consisted of what I'd just done that day. I had been driving a car for a number of years and had spent 10 years +as a pillion on the back of my ex hubbys bike. I think both of these put me in very good stead for riding. At the end of the day when the instructor handed me my certificate he asked me what my plans were. I told him that I really didn't know what to do for the best and that before taking the CBT I had planned to do the DAS and not bother riding a small machine. I felt very uncertain after doing the CBT. The instructor advised me to go with my original plan. He said that as far as he could see there were no problems with my riding and thought I'd be wasting my time and money buying a 125. I was very confused and didn't have a clue what to do. I mulled the situation over for a few days and decided to hire a 125 for a day and make my mind up after that. Had a great day but had a really sore botty as I'd clocked up over 200 miles before returning the bike. The instructor made a joke about me getting my moneys worth and it was fair game that I had a sore bum. He asked me if I'd made my mind up about what I was going to do and I told him I hadn't. He suggested I had a quick go around the yard just to get the feel of riding a bigger bike. Before I pulled off he told me to get the feel of balancing the throttle and clutch. He said for me to control my speed with the clutch and not be tempted to control it with the throttle else I'd be kangaroo hopping. Off I went and it felt so different compared to the 125. It felt heavy. I had about 10 minutes riding around the yard, pulling off, breaking, in and out of cones etc. It was only after I'd had a go on a bigger bike could I actually make my mind up as to what I was going to do. I wasn't going to bother riding a 125 on L plates and I would do the direct access. Had 2 lessons, took my test and passed with 2 minors. One of those was a maintenance question!

Maybe hiring a bike for the day would help you make your mind up? I can't remember for sure but I think it cost me £40 for the day. If you explain your reasons before hand why you want to hire it maybe they'll give you a free assessment on one of the DAS bikes like they did for me.

Good luck
____________________
I want a big boys bike, preferably a Speed Triple. To date I have ?7:42p stashed away to put towards one. Need to get it in the bank & earning interest asap.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek



Joined: 20 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:23 - 19 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Wonder whether those friends who said you will get bored of a 125 have actually spent any time riding a decent 125?


Since I have been one of the people who said he would probably get bored of riding a TW125, I will hold my hands up and say that I have only ever ridden a CG125, which is basically the same thing. I also said it depends largely on the type of rider you are, and what exactly you want from biking.

I think that he is extremely sensible in the fact that he wants an offroader sort of 125, instead of being a plastic fantastic like some people, and is aware that he faces the risk of dropping it, and will have more fun having the option to go offroad, because it is extremely fun, even on a 50 I had a good time. Also being older and taller he will find the trailie easier to control ride and be comfy on.

I would look into the 2 stroke variety of the 125s, but as I am telling you now on MSN you sacrifice a little reliability, but you ultimately gain about 20mph more top end which is better in the long run. Though I think maybe a DT125 will be quite reliable and can be had for relatively little money. And parts, spares and extras are fairly easy to get hold of eBay.

I think you should listen to G on this one because he knows his stuff, and has experience with these kind of bikes.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 143 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.53 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 62.18 Kb