Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Tyre choice - 99 R6

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Noggin
Traffic Copper



Joined: 27 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:26 - 21 May 2006    Post subject: Tyre choice - 99 R6 [HELP!] Reply with quote

Hi guys...

I need a new front tyre for my MOT and from looking at the back I figured that I'd go for a whole new pair. My questions are as follows:

1. I have a Dunlop D207RR 120/65 on the front at the moment, should I stick with this tyre size or go for a 60 or 70, as these seem to be the more popular sizes?

2. What tyres would be best to put on?

I don't ride too fast but I would like something thats capable of doing some track days and also stand up ok in the wet as I ride
most of the year. I'm thinking of pirelli diablos or something similar. I just need a hand choosing as they all seem to be around the same prices.

Reviews of tyres on R6s would be nice!

Thanks in advance guys



Craig G(Noggin)
____________________
Current bike: kawasaki zx12r 2002
Track bike: yamaha r6 1998
Old Bike: honda NSR 125 1998


Last edited by Noggin on 17:20 - 21 May 2006; edited 2 times in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rookie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:30 - 21 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a Thundercat, I'm going for Michelin Pilot Power 2CTs. They seem to be the tyre of the moment; I haven't heard a bad word against them.

They've got a hard compound in the middle so you've got plenty of miles in them for the motorway, but then there's a softer compound towards the edges, so you've got a load of sticky grip when you need it. Thumbs Up

If you're not doing a lot of touring miles, but like the sound of them, consider just going for the Pilot Powers, they've got fantastic reviews.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:34 - 21 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for the Powers too Thumbs Up

Cannot say anything bad against them.
____________________
Past: Honda NSR125R >> Kawasaki ER-5a2 >> Kawasaki ZZR-600e1 >> Suzuki GSXR-750Y >> Honda VTR 1000 Firestorm
"Chickity China the Chinese Chicken..."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Noggin
Traffic Copper



Joined: 27 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:05 - 21 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen the reviews on them and had quite honestly forgot about them!

I think the whole idea of dual compound tyres is a great idea and I'm seriously going to consider them as I do some major trips to dorset on the motorway a fair bit. Now the only problem I have is what size to get. The R6 has got 120/65zr's on the front at the moment and I can't find this size. What size should I go for?


Craig G(Noggin)
____________________
Current bike: kawasaki zx12r 2002
Track bike: yamaha r6 1998
Old Bike: honda NSR 125 1998
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rookie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:53 - 21 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless they went down 5mm in 1999, the front tyre should be 120/60. The rear should be 180/55. Confused
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Noggin
Traffic Copper



Joined: 27 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:56 - 21 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people reccomend putting the 70s on the rims. The one on there is a 65, so I'm assuming they put the 65 on there as a balance between the 60 and 70?

I need G or kickstart, lol!!


Craig G(Noggin)
____________________
Current bike: kawasaki zx12r 2002
Track bike: yamaha r6 1998
Old Bike: honda NSR 125 1998
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Noggin
Traffic Copper



Joined: 27 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:06 - 21 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just checked the michelin website and it looks like they're not producing a 120/60 tyre. Only a 120/70, which means I'd have to go for the 70. That's on the 2CT ones.


Who thinks this would be ok?


Craig G(Noggin)
____________________
Current bike: kawasaki zx12r 2002
Track bike: yamaha r6 1998
Old Bike: honda NSR 125 1998
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wooly R6
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:21 - 21 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am upping mine to a 70 profile when i can be bothered to sort them out - fed up with the shit dunlops and the shit front end grip
____________________
R6 has been sold - 2004 Honda VFR VTEC now sold too - no bike at the moment
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy99
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 16 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:30 - 21 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to a 70 will make a difference and is well worth doing, I run a 120/70 and wouln't dream of going back to a 120/60, but there's a couple of things to watch out for. A 120/70 runs very close to the fender and at speed some will catch the fender, i run a BT014 and haven't had this problem but some guys running other tyres have. As the tyre is a bit taller you will have to drop the forks through the yokes a little to compensate, i dropped mine about 8mm but 6mm would have been fine.

Andy
____________________
Nothing gets the point across quite like a raised middle digit.

Just call me General Crazypaws.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:14 - 21 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Andy said.
70 profile will speed up handling a bit, however this will be cancelled out by it raising the front end a bit, so best to drop it slightly to compensate. Around 5mm will be fine.
If you don't drop the forks, it can be slightly more likely to wheelie, possibly tank slapper, etc.

Note that 'dual compound' tyres aren't that new; the 020 definitely claimed to be so; with 010 compound on the sides and longer wearing on the centre.

You can do trackdays on a harder wearing compound, but for me I'd want something I can trust to brake as hard as possible on in good conditions; which I wouldn't be 100% sure of on touring orientated ones.
I would go for ones with around an expected 4000 mile life at worst. However, if you want more life you can often put a harder rear with a softer front.
At the moment, I'm liking my combinations of Supercorsa (race) front along with an 010 rear.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile



Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:19 - 21 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had Diablos on the SV and really liked them but i think pilot power if you do commuting, some duel carrage ways as i sqaure off my rear from that and defernetly need a 2CT tyre when i ride again Thumbs Up
____________________
99 RS125 --> 02 SV650s --> 03 Speed Four --> 92 RXS100 --> 93 CB400sf --> 01 CB600f Hornet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stewboy
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 21 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:00 - 21 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got 2001 R6 and run the Batalax 014s Great sticky tires but dont expect to get many miles out of them
____________________
I'm sorry its dodgey clutch i dont even know how to wheelie ;o)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wooly R6
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:54 - 21 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

also - pirelli and metzler tyres are supposed to be slight smaller in profile and are less likely to rub on the mudguard

i will be trying the new M3 sportec hopefully in the next few weeks
____________________
R6 has been sold - 2004 Honda VFR VTEC now sold too - no bike at the moment
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Noggin
Traffic Copper



Joined: 27 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:15 - 22 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I need to drop the forks through the yokes then if I get a 120/70? How would I go about that?

I'm thinking about the pilot powers and also pirelli diablos, metzeler M3s, I hadn't thought about Bridgestones... whats the equivalent in that brand?


Craig G(Noggin)
____________________
Current bike: kawasaki zx12r 2002
Track bike: yamaha r6 1998
Old Bike: honda NSR 125 1998
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wooly R6
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:07 - 22 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

rather than drop the forks i am gonna put a 3mm spacer (well, a washer or couple of washers) on the top of the shock mounting to keep the ride height the same
____________________
R6 has been sold - 2004 Honda VFR VTEC now sold too - no bike at the moment
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!



Joined: 05 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:15 - 22 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of sounding like a parrot, I'd recommend Pirelli Diablo's. I've got a set on my 99 R6 and to date they've endured, 5000 miles, 9 trackdays and various fast rideouts they've still got a fair bit of life left on them.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Wooly R6
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:17 - 22 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a read on the R6 forums - and make a decision for yourself

https://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86412&highlight=rear+shock

https://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82686&highlight=rear+shock

https://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82403&highlight=shim

and this is what the tyres look like 60 vs 70
https://www.tranceforum.com/R6MN/60vs70-2.jpg

here is a guide of how to shim the rear too

https://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32747
that should be enought to tempt you into a 70 and to shim the rear (but it does say in the guide that there isnt enough threads on the 99-02 models to shim the rear) Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
____________________
R6 has been sold - 2004 Honda VFR VTEC now sold too - no bike at the moment
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

John C
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:31 - 22 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

continental Road attacks Thumbs Up

Arrow Cheap
Arrow Long lasting
Arrow Sticky
Arrow Deep tread
Arrow Excellent in the wet
Arrow Even better in the dry
Arrow Confidence inspiring one you get used to the different profile

OR Sport Attacks if you want to go mental
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

distortion
Nearly there...



Joined: 08 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:28 - 22 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was a 98 model - you could put any tyre you wanted on Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:32 - 22 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

distortion wrote:
If it was a 98 model - you could put any tyre you wanted on Laughing

Not on an R6 though, only the R1. Wink
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Noggin
Traffic Copper



Joined: 27 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:45 - 22 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, I've ordered the tyres. Have gone for the Michelin Pilot Powers 2CTs. I got a good price on them too... I think! I got them for £216.50 including fitting, balancing and VAT, but I have to take the wheels off the bike, which is no big deal. Well, actually it is as I can't seem to find a wheel tool for the front. P&H don't have one, so I'm going to try Alf's in Worthing tomorrow.

Its the whole dropping the forks thing that I'm having the thoughts about though... If I can't shim the rear due to the lack of thread, how do I compensate at the fron by dropping the forks? Do I literally undo some bolts and lower the forks through slightly? Problem I face is supporting the bike whilst doing this as I only have front and rear paddock stands.

Any one have some tips? Or near enough that I can ride over to them so they can give me a hand... or vice versa!?


Cheers


Craig G(Noggin)
____________________
Current bike: kawasaki zx12r 2002
Track bike: yamaha r6 1998
Old Bike: honda NSR 125 1998
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Noggin
Traffic Copper



Joined: 27 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:47 - 22 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on, do I drop the yokes, further down the forks, or drop the forks further down the yokes?

I'm assuming I'd be dropping the yokes down the forks as this would lower the ride height.

This is sounding difficult! I may need a hand!


Craig G(Noggin)
____________________
Current bike: kawasaki zx12r 2002
Track bike: yamaha r6 1998
Old Bike: honda NSR 125 1998
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:51 - 22 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are making it so there is more fork showing above the yoke/clip ons. Quite easy to do - loosen one side, top and bottom of the yoke and slowly work the stanchion up the desried amount. Do up and repeat on the other side.

Get to Croix in france next weekend and I can lend a hand Smile.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Noggin
Traffic Copper



Joined: 27 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:55 - 22 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bad feeling that being under 21 means I can't ride on the continent...

Meh, well you've answered my question G, so I'll give it a go with my dad. If I get stuck though, I'm going to be raiding the forum members for help!

Have you noticed a problem with the front mud guard by the way?

Craig G(Noggin)
____________________
Current bike: kawasaki zx12r 2002
Track bike: yamaha r6 1998
Old Bike: honda NSR 125 1998
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:59 - 22 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a full licence and insurance to ride abroad then you can do it at any age! 18 I think!
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 137 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.75 - MySQL Queries: 16 - Page Size: 134.9 Kb