Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

call for more 20mph zones

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:47 - 16 Oct 2007    Post subject: call for more 20mph zones Reply with quote

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7046200.stm

precis call for more 20mph zones in towns and cities, to be enforced by SPECs type cameras.

Me thinks they should just stop people stepping out without looking, and that old stat about most accidents being of people being in the road when they shouldn't have been (pedestrians).

Also how are they going to square this with C02 emissions? , cars poolting at 20mph are less efficient, (though the news item says it will force more people out of cars).

(note itchy does not buy the global warming things)
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dalemac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:54 - 16 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

totally agree there itchy, a bit more common sence with the pedestrians and it will sort itself out!

Solve the cause of the problem, not the outcome's of the problem.

Atleast it woukld take these arsehole politians longer to get to work, bit ironic how there going to be fucking themself over dont you think?

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:38 - 16 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they should be mandatory outside schools, hospitals and maybe a few other places as well

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:47 - 16 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree that in certain area's they are a good idea.

But how about putting pedestrians under the same punishment as the rest of us when crossing at a red light..... I'm sick of them stepping across crossings when the light for them is red..... Time for camera's to take pics of them....

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:53 - 16 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ped boys amuse me.

I saw one a few months ago stop at the traffic lights in town, hop off of his scooter push it with a running engine across the pedestrian crossing before hoping on and riding away!

Barry_M2
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:09 - 16 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal wrote:
I think they should be mandatory outside schools, hospitals and maybe a few other places as well

I totally agree.

Its when they put up silly limits and camera's in places they are not needed that annoys me.

Thumbs Up

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 16:55 - 16 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think though, as we can buy fast motors.....we'll just take plates off if they want to fuck about this much.
I know i will....

Roll on the Mad Max days..... Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:25 - 16 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder how long it'd take to get bored of setting those off on a pushbike. Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:31 - 16 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Wonder how long it'd take to get bored of setting those off on a pushbike. Smile

A very, very long time.

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 17:35 - 16 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Ste wrote:

A very, very long time.

Wouldn't even be illegal, either.

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:04 - 16 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed limits apply to push bikes as well

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 18:50 - 16 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed limits only apply to powered vehicles.

You can still be done for 'pedalling furiously', but that would require the opinion of a police officer, rather than a camera, I suspect.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:07 - 16 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past I've thought 20 limits were a good thing outside schools and the like.

However, thinking about, I think it'd be a much better idea to teach children not to run out in the road.
Perhaps kids in general would do better in life if the speed limit was in fact raised to 40.
After one kid was killed, they could do a brunstrom-style display for all their mates in the school corridors. May actually save more lives in the long run and teach them about the realities of the real world.

I do think we take too much responsibility away from kids these days, cosseting them as much as possible from the realities of life.

tomski_w
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:16 - 16 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed an increasing issue with pedestrians either just taking chances with their safety by trying to dodge traffic and not using pedestrian crossings, or blatantly walking in front of traffic thinking you;re gonna stop or be able to slow down in time "cos it's my right of way being a pedestrian". Or just stepping out blindly into traffic.

Especially near where I work people would try and beat the traffic (heading towards them at great speed) to get to the central resevervation crossing, when they only need to wait for about a min & half for their "right of way" when the light is green for them. Feckin lemmings. Someone's gonna get splatted very soon. Rolling Eyes

If the police started handing out fixed penalties to people not using a crossing correctly while there is traffic, attitudes will quickly change and the roads will be safer.

When I was in Japan, I didn't once see someone crossing the road without using a crossing. Even when there was absolutely no traffic in the evening, they would wait for the light to go green before they would cross. Sounds daft, but of course it works.

tomski_w
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:30 - 16 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reckon they should start put those ads back on TV.

"Road sense, have you got it?"

Remember the picture of the kid that got hit by the car after stepping blindly into the road?

They should do a series of adult ones too.

Picture a couple chatting, then stepping out into the road next to (not on) a pedestrian crossing then BOOOOOM!! One dead, one in a wheelchair for the rest of their life.

Cut scene: "Use the Highway Code, use pedestrian crossings"

Am I just being a tw@t? Or does anyone agree?

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:08 - 17 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
In the past I've thought 20 limits were a good thing outside schools and the like.

However, thinking about, I think it'd be a much better idea to teach children not to run out in the road.
Perhaps kids in general would do better in life if the speed limit was in fact raised to 40.
After one kid was killed, they could do a brunstrom-style display for all their mates in the school corridors. May actually save more lives in the long run and teach them about the realities of the real world.

I do think we take too much responsibility away from kids these days, cosseting them as much as possible from the realities of life.

Growl, growl, growl - Yes I edited myself, it seemed like a good thing to do.

I'm a bit touchy about anything to do with my son.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:24 - 17 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Ste wrote:

A very, very long time.

Laughing

Completely agree, me and my friend from work were riding back from work averaging a constant 25ish on the flat, flash flash! Laughing

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:01 - 17 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd have to stick a numberplate on the DVLA system on your pushbike.
Kal wrote:
Yes I edited myself, it seemed like a good thing to do.

I'm a bit touchy about anything to do with my son.

Most parents are.
Feel free to provide a decent argument why what I've said is wrong.
"You'd understand if you had kids" is not a decent argument, for the record Smile.

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 17 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rider/driver that hits my kid I will turn into Brunstrom-style display myself.

I think thats a pretty good arguement, I am_a_little more touchy than most.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:47 - 17 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm presuming you're talking future tense and this isn't something that has happened.
If it is, I apologise and will keep my mouth shut, as I often do in regards to parents.

On further thought, I'd say I think that in some cases where kids have run into the road or similar, the parent should be prosecuted.
Say if the kid was under ten; they should be being kept in proper control by the parents if they can't safely use the roads. If they can't use the roads correctly, they should be suprervised at all times where they could be in or cause a danger.
"The roads" are very dangerous places to be and require all users to show appropriate respect to others.

Your argument, while amusing, is like suggesting that a truck driver should get beaten up when a car pulls out infront of them from a side road. Lovely vengance, little to do with justise and leads to right of way being decided by the tougher clan.

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:47 - 17 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get to spend approximately 30 hours a year with my son and you have no idea what I have indured so far to just to get that.

My Love and Rage knows no bounds except my self control. One way or another my son is my life.

I never once mentioned justice or that it is a question of right and wrong. It just is.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:03 - 17 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomski_w wrote:
Am I just being a tw@t? Or does anyone agree?

100% agree.

Time that a pedestrian crossing the road under the red man copped a fine, just the same as a car driver would.
Don't they have Jay Walking in the states where you can get done for wandering across a road....

Trouble is everyone is in such a hurry these days and just can't wait that 10 secs for the lights to change, either in a car or on foot....

Trouble with teaching kids road safety at school is its undone as soon as they leave school and mum drags em straight across the road without looking and ignoring the lollypop lady into the car parked half on the pavement over the zig zag lines outside the school....

I always remember some little kid while waiting to cross the road at a crossing turning to his mother and saying look that man didn't wait for the green man.... The guy turned round in disgust and was going to say something till his mother said how right the kid was....
He kinda looked very silly then...

rypt
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:58 - 17 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we have to go at 20mph (which will eventually become 10mph in 5-10 years time knowing these people) then it will defeat the whole purpose of using a MOTORVEHICLE for transport, as we'll hardly be going faster than walking pace (hell, in parts of London you already move slower than walking pace due to all the traffic - and none of this congestion charges crap helped).

tomski_w
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:23 - 18 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers iooi Thumbs Up

People need to wake up and realise life isn't the rat-race everyone thinks it is.

If everyone slowed down just that little bit, we'd all be happier as a matter of course and life would be sweeter. Karma

But then at the same time, maybe we should all speed up instead. Twisted Evil Increase the speed limit to 40 and make it illegal for anyone to cross without using a crossing, like the Jaywalking law in the US.

We DO have the jaywalking law, but I reckon even the police found it so petty and uninforceable eventually nobody got charged with it. (Except my uncle who got fined £50 for not using an underpass/walkway a few years ago)

Check this

"One has to look at the causes of accidents and you tend to find that, even though motorcycles are named by people like Plowden and Hillman et al as being a great threat to pedestrians, when you actually look at the causation factors in pedestrian and cycle accidents, you often find it’s the cyclists or pedestrian failing to look, give way or obey basic road traffic law.”

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:39 - 18 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Don't agree with more 20 limits (although plenty of those already in place are not legal).

Outside schools, maybe occasionally. But a 24 hour a day, 365 days a year restriction for something that is an issue 2 hours a day, 200 days a year is ludicrous.

And just think, those kids will now have zero road sense when they get a licence for a 4 wheeled tank.

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 231 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3