Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Forced to go cold turkey in prison

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Liam_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 13 Nov 2006    Post subject: Forced to go cold turkey in prison Reply with quote

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6142416.stm

look at this pish Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
they've been put in prison because they probably breached another persons human rights to live in peace and now these c*nts are claiming their human rights were ignored and getting compensation because they have been taken off their shitty drug habit. wtf, they've been done a huge favour!

Barry_M2
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:47 - 13 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly.

Sent to prison and are claiming money because they are being stopped from doing something else that is also illegal.

This country's pathetic law's never fail to make me laugh (or cry!).

I'm a law abiding citizen that has a full time job, wife and child, and I've never once had a big payout from the government (or anyone else for that matter). But these people who are locked up for breaking the law in some form or other will be given thousands of pounds in cash because they cant take thier illegal drugs!!! Shocked Confused Rolling Eyes

Errr, I got two words for them all...

TOUGH SHIT! Middle Finger
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andrew
Mister Road Rage

PostPosted: 15:59 - 13 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just about to post the link to the story myself... I cannot believe this... The judge needs a good fucking slap. If he feels that sorry for them maybe he should be paying the fucking money himself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Liam_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:17 - 13 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

its not a judges decision, the home office settled out of court Shocked

headlamp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 13 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that, if anyone was found guilty of an offence and sent to prison, they should be denied access to any Human Rights legislation on the basis that a convicted criminal is 'sub-human'. On release back into society they can have their human rights back again, if they behave themselves.

andrew
Mister Road Rage

PostPosted: 16:25 - 13 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

UrbanRacer wrote:
its not a judges decision, the home office settled out of court Shocked

Well that will teach me to read the whole article. That's even worse to be honest.....

Just another sign that this country is heading down the shitter.

Liam_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 13 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

surely a judge would have laughed this out of court.

Judge: "What??? you want compensation because the prison didn't supply you with an illegal substance?? get the f**k back to jail for even attempting this and that goes for your brief too, he can be your new room mate"

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:01 - 13 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it's methadone they are claiming they wanted to continue taking.

I wouldn't be surprised if they can still, occasionally at least, get hold of heroin while in prison, however.

Quote:

I think that, if anyone was found guilty of an offence and sent to prison, they should be denied access to any Human Rights legislation on the basis that a convicted criminal is 'sub-human'. O

All well and good until you are the suspect that is wrongly accused, or when you start breeding (more) people that intensely dislike the society they live in - while most I know who have been in prison don't come out with too big a chip on their shoulder.

Oh and Barry, I'm glad you don't make use of tax-credits, nursery vouchers or any of the other pay-outs parents get. Personally, not having any kids I get annoyed by the way I see a lot of people choosing to have kids, then sponging loads off the government while, it often seems, avoiding parenting as much as possible. Smile

froggeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:09 - 13 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

headlamp wrote:
I think that, if anyone was found guilty of an offence and sent to prison, they should be denied access to any Human Rights legislation on the basis that a convicted criminal is 'sub-human'. On release back into society they can have their human rights back again, if they behave themselves.

The whole point is we don't do that in this country, it's what makes us more civilized than opressive regimes such as Saudi, China etc...

And I also agree with Siggi on this...

Prison should be for rehabilitation at least as much as, if not more than punishment.

Liam_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:13 - 13 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

but why should they be allowed to claim that their human rights were breached when they did the same to their victims?

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 17:26 - 13 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

froggeh wrote:

Prison should be for rehabilitation at least as much as, if not more than punishment.

ditto this comment, and dont forget NOT everyone in prison is there for 'doing something bad to another'...

froggeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:27 - 13 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

UrbanRacer wrote:
but why should they be allowed to claim that their human rights were breached when they did the same to their victims?

Well. You either send a criminal to prison, and make it hell.... The result... A very angry, resentful person that gets out after x years...What do you think happens next?

Or Try to rehabilitate the person...Let them work for a living, make them 'reasonably' comfortable, and feel at least some worth. They then at least have a chance of coming out a better person...

If you're gonna treat them as sub-human then you have to throw away the key.

Losing your freedom is the punishment. Not torture, or deprivation. Lets leave that to backward countries in the far east eh?

In this particular case... The guys were registered addicts. Its a recognised disease that they were receiving treatment for (Methadone)... When they went to prison they had the treatment stopped.

Yes they broke the law, and I don't feel particularly sorry for them, but I can see where they're coming from.

Liam_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:38 - 13 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

we all get shafted in this country but i don't feel the need to go and take it out on someone walking the street and i don't turn to drugs either.
As for taking drugs being classed as a disease you can shove that up your arse, If someone falls into the trap of drugs, they only have themselves to blame.

froggeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 13 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

UrbanRacer wrote:
we all get shafted in this country but i don't feel the need to go and take it out on someone walking the street and i don't turn to drugs either.
As for taking drugs being classed as a disease you can shove that up your arse, If someone falls into the trap of drugs, they only have themselves to blame.

So when you go for a 'brisk' ride and come off going too fast around the twisties, we should leave you by the side of the road 'because its your own fault'?

You either want to be in a civilized country or not.

Liam_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:43 - 13 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

now your putting words in my mouth, i didn't say don't help drug addicts, i'm all for getting them off the sh!t.

i finished work 10mins ago, I'll continue this debate when i get home

froggeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:45 - 13 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I'm one of the ones who dioesn't feel in the slightest bit 'shafted'

Sit back and think for a minute , the freedoms you have, the choices you have. Look at the population of the world ~6.5 billion and then think of where you could have been born...scary.

Teaman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 13 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

right it seams quite a few people are a bit grr and some are just arguing about going cold turkey and denying rights to prisoners.

Ok my view,
I'm not happy about them settling out of court although I'm not happy that it even got that far.
They might have been sent to prison for some crim or another but isnt prison supposed to be rehabilitation?
none of us know the whole facts about the situation. Im sure if it was just a case of they were locked up for shop lifting from pound land we would be laughing our heads off or could they all be child killer peads? does that make it worse? (quite possibly)
so now we just know some prisoners have gone in prison being heavily dependant on drugs and were not given the adequate help to come off the drugs, I can see those prisoners just going quite mental and desperate for drugs, If it was a short term sentence they could come straight out of prison and take a hit of there normal dose no doubt killing them selfs. Who would be at fault then?

They should have had adequate help, end of. but that should have just gone to a formal complaint with some heads banged together further up the corporate ladder but not human rights rubbish, thats just takin the mick, I'm more peeved at the solicitor who took on the case than the home office for settling it although we need to really look at human rights issues and assess how far it goes and where to draw the line
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:03 - 13 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, seeing as they're such fans of legal procedure, maybe their victims should sue them in a private prosecution for compensation and empty their bank accounts - none of this £2 a week crap.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:55 - 13 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, flying in the face of popular oppinion. I would count taking someone with a long standing opiate habit straight off them as 'cruel and unusual' punishment.

It is physiologically addictive. That means your body becomes dependant on it, it's not just 'in your head'. You can actually kill someone by stopping their opiates abruptly.

In essence, it is a form of torture.

Ask any doctor, you do not just suddenly stop taking opiates after a long standing addiction, certainly not without close medical supervision and support.

The other thing is that coming straight off will result in prisoners obtaining illegal drugs in prison (randomised drug testing in jails gets something like a 60% positive rate). Abruptly withdrawing their supply does not do anything useful to get them off the habit, which is probably what is driving their criminal behaviour in the first place.

What they should be doing is getting these prisoners on a program which will get them off drugs altogether, either by reducing doses of methodone or one of the other 'rehab' programmes such as butorphanol. With any luck, this would see people coming out of prison 'clean' rather than going straight back out and immediately looking for a score.

Maybe too sensible (or expensive?) but how's this for an idea? If you go into jail with a drug habit, you can sign up for a rehab program. If you stick to it and sucessfully come off drugs, you qualify for early release on the understanding that you get a piss test every week for the next two years. You spend two years clean, you're home free. You fail even one test, you're straight back inside for the rest of your sentance.

froggeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:29 - 13 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think anyone who feels shocked by the 'fair' treatment of criminals needs to take a step and look at why...

It's fairly natural to want thieving,murdering,raping scum to pay, really get hurt back, to suffer. It's TOTALLY natural. It's a human emotion, the need for revenge...

And in certain circumstances it's ok. For instance I personally believe in instant justice, ie - If some twat breaks into my house, where my girlfriend, and baby and me are sleeping, I will kill them if given a chance. But if they get caught by the police I wouldn't want them killed...
If a chav nicks a car, and rams it into a lamppost, then great, one down x thousand to go...

BUT... If we are to punish AND attempt to get someone on the straight and narrow, we have to be very very careful. You tie up a pit pull and beat it daily, it WILL kill someone if it gets free, it's the same with a criminal. All animals, especially humans, respond to kindness, and calmness. And humans grow emotionally when they feel they are worth something, and that they can contribute.

We need to swallow pride, and the urge for revenge, in order to acheive anything. Of course it doesn't always work, but the other way NEVER works.

rant over.

*edited for spelling

Last edited by froggeh on 22:17 - 13 Nov 2006; edited 3 times in total

froggeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 13 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siggi wrote:

You're a pretty decent human being, aincha. Thumbs Up

Shucks Embarassed

headlamp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:10 - 14 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siggi wrote:
headlamp wrote:

Yeah, that'll work. Then somebody like me would have come out and gone on a fucking rampage to end all rampages.

A lot of people are inside because they won't take society's and the govt's shit. That doesn't make them sub-human, that makes them militant.

'Sub-Human' was probably not the right expression...but do you not except that if someone steals, commits fraud, robs, assaults or murders they should not have the same access to human rights as those people who choose to live within the law?

froggeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:19 - 14 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

headlamp wrote:
'Sub-Human' was probably not the right expression...but do you not except that if someone steals, commits fraud, robs, assaults or murders they should not have the same access to human rights as those people who choose to live within the law?

They don't... they have their freedom removed.

headlamp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 14 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

froggeh wrote:
headlamp wrote:

They don't... they have their freedom removed.

for Human Rights read Human Rights legislation. I am not saying that these people can be beaten, tortured, etc...that is inhumane whatever their crimes.

Black Knight
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:48 - 14 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe methadone is the best way of coming off heroin however that is the system in place and I do agree with them in that they should have had access to it.

What I do disagree with is the financial benefit to them. I wonder if they would have gone through with it if there wasn't a few quid in it. When I say they I man both the prisoners and the bigger criminals the solicitors.

I would have prefered to see the £750,000 go towards setting up methadone clinics in the prisons or some form of healthcare, after all, thats what they were campaining for.
Where does a turn end? 'Where you can do anything with the gas you want to, where you are brave again, where your attention is free from the turn, where you are sure you can do it better next time; that's the end' - Keith Code.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 169 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4