Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Eating disorders

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 20:52 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Eating disorders Reply with quote

since being back from uni i have been living with my sister again, She is 14 and diabetic (type 1). My parents warned me before i came back that she hasnt been eating at all for about a month and a bit now. She is losing a fair amount of weight.

EDIT: She also burps quite a lot at the moment

Due to being diabetic she has had lots of blood test as they first assumed that it was due to this that she was ill. These all came back negetive so next she went to have an ultrasound (the results come back in about a week). She is also going for a "tube into the stomach" after new year aswell.

The problem that i would people to advise me is that it keeps coming back to eating disorder. Shes a 14 year old girl so wouldnt be uncommon for this sort of thing to occur, shes not fat and is pritty skinny since she has lost a fair but if weight.

Many of the doctors they have seem have said that since she "feels sick" while eating, make her eat till she is sick. They said this will at least give her a bit of energy as some will be asorbed before coming back up. But when we sit at meals and they start with this she starts crying and they give up on this almost stright away. I said that if they went with this approach at least we could rule out it being an eating disorder as would be coming up naturally (obviously they would have to watch it wasnt making herself sick)

So, does this sound like a eating disorder?? anyone every gone though one or lived/know somone with one?? When they tests come back i guess we will know for sure but that is a good few weeks away and she will loose more weight and be iller but then.

Last edited by Andy C on 21:24 - 30 Dec 2006; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!

PostPosted: 20:57 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Re: Eating disorders Reply with quote

Andy C wrote:

Many of the doctors they have seem have said that since she "feels sick" which eating, make her eat till she is sick. They said this will at least give her a bit of energy as some will be asorbed before coming back up. But when we sit at meals she starts crying and they give up on this almost stright away.

Wouldn't you cry if you were forced to eat until you were sick?

Fucking Hells Bells! Surely even if the poor lass hasn't got an eating disorder... she soon will have!!!

:shakes head in disbelief: You know it only takes 3 instances to kick off a phobia? Associating eating with vomiting.. Hmm clever dont you think? Rolling Eyes

Andy I hope it all works itself out and everything's alright with your sister... Have you parents thought about maybe swapping from a meal to a substitute? (complan, etc.. which ever is suitable for diabetics?)

Last edited by lozzypop1 on 20:58 - 30 Dec 2006; edited 1 time in total

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:57 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
since being back from uni i have been living with my sister again, She is 14 and diabetic (type 1). My parents warned me before i came back that she hasnt been eating at all for about a month and a bit now. She is losing a fair amount of weight.

Young diabetic girls (sweeping statement) have issue with wieght and the constant need to eat to maintain euglycaemia.

By not eating and skipping meals, taking insulin, they belive that they will have weight loss.

If anybody has any issue with food, then yes they have a disorder of some sort.

Enocurage her to keep a food diary, people often foget what they have eaten, the type of food consumed and volume. This will highlight whether there is a problem or not and allow others to discuss the matter with your suster.

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!

PostPosted: 20:59 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternatively listen to Whosthedaddy...
Needless to say... He knows what he's on about!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:01 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a thing on the news about Forums dedicated to (mostly) young girls who were starving themselves for the sake of their figure.

Could be worth investigating these places to give you an idea of what to look for.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:08 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Why does she feel sick? In what way? Is she really sick, or does the food just not reach her stomach?

All the best

Keith

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 21:10 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Re: Eating disorders Reply with quote

lozzypop1 wrote:
Wouldn't you cry if you were forced to eat until you were sick?

Fucking Hells Bells! Surely even if the poor lass hasn't got an eating disorder... she soon will have!!!

Yea, i quite agree. I think i forgot to mention that due to not eating it is really sending her blood readings up and down which isnt good for your body in itself.

lozzypop1 wrote:
:shakes head in disbelief: You know it only takes 3 instances to kick off a phobia? Associating eating with vomiting.. Hmm clever dont you think?

Yea i do, but due her being diabetic is better she has some food than none even if it isnt a nice way of getting it.

Whosthedaddy wrote:
Young diabetic girls (sweeping statement) have issue with wieght and the constant need to eat to maintain euglycaemia.

Yes, i think its such an issue as in normal situation they should eat regurally as insulin is needed to be taken at certain times.

G wrote:
There was a thing on the news about Forums dedicated to (mostly) young girls who were starving themselves for the sake of their figure.

Could be worth investigating these places to give you an idea of what to look for

Great idea G, i think i will post a simular topic to this later on

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:11 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
There was a thing on the news about Forums dedicated to (mostly) young girls who were starving themselves

I think something similar was on 'This Morning' a good few years bak.

There are forums and web sites that highlight and teach young girls to loose dramatic weight loss, how to hide it and take it too stupid extremes. The end result was to look like this:

https://www.genciencia.com/images/anorexia.jpg

Google is not always your friend Thumbs Down

Last edited by Whosthedaddy on 21:13 - 30 Dec 2006; edited 1 time in total

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 21:12 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Why does she feel sick? In what way? Is she really sick, or does the food just not reach her stomach?

No, she has yet to be sick and when any of us ask how she feels sick she just says "i feel sick and cant eat it". We really dont know how to handle it as so hard to try and make someone you care about eat to help them without getting annoyed.

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:16 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy C wrote:
Kickstart wrote:

No, she has yet to be sick and when any of us ask how she feels sick she just says "i feel sick and cant eat it". We really dont know how to handle it as so hard to try and make someone you care about eat to help them without getting annoyed.

Having irratic blood sugar levels, not eating and the production of ketones may lead to DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis).

If she continues not too eat, then she may go into DKA and this is a very serious condition that may result in a coma and ultimately death.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:17 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Difficult to know if there is a real physical problem, or a mind problem. If the first then she could well REALLY not want to eat.

All the best

Keith

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 21:22 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
Having irratic blood sugar levels, not eating and the production of ketones may lead to DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis).

If she continues not too eat, then she may go into DKA and this is a very serious condition that may result in a coma and ultimately death.

Yes she had got ketone present recently (we have home urine tests for it) so also not a good things (thanks for pointing this out, i forgot about that)

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:28 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

A certifed MILF wrote:
Alternatively listen to Whosthedaddy...
Needless to say... He knows what he's on about!

Without trying to dig myself into a hole Praying

I only know about this from a professional point of view, I have no idea of what its like to a be a girl growing up that may have issues with their weight, whether this is a physical issue or pyschological one instead.

No offense was entilted in the making of this thread and all names have been changed to protect the innocent Wink

Trip
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:14 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience with Eating Disorders is that they are fine until a few minutes after they finish eating.
You have to distinguish between Bulemia (Binging and Purging) and Anorexia.
Bullemics tend not to loose weight as their bodies go into 'shut down' and dont loose weight and if anything tend to gain a bit.

Also in my experience theres not alot you can do for them. Half the solution is getting to the stage where they can admit they have a problem. If they know that its a problem then its something you can work on, if they think the situation is ok then they wont want to be helped.

Im currently gong through this with my Girlfriend, It can be hard especially when its with someone you love but just make it clear that if they need someone to talk to that your there and most importantly you wont blow the whistle to your parents. She needs someone she can trust.

This is of course if she actually has an eating disorder and she may not as i have no experience with Diabetes in this area.

My mate has type 1 diabetes and he's very thin just remember that help is available to her if need be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:27 - 30 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just tell you about my experience.

I've got a friend who spoke to me recently about having an eating disorder. As in she was worried she has one and has lost two stone in the last couple of months.

Now her exact words to me were "I'm worried I've got anorexia".

Now, that to me immediately says that she doesn't have anorexia (or at least not anorexia nervosa, she is definately anorexic as in she eats almost nothing). The reason being she isn't trying to hide it, in fact, I don't know many people who are happier with their body image. She always wore pretty revealing clothes and had the figure to show them off, she's now started covering up because she doesn't fill the clothes she likes.

After a lot of talking and questions, we came up with a reason. Doctor had her on antidepressants (seratonin re-uptake inhibitors) due to family problems (I swear I'm going to go and throttle her doctor sometime, lazy fucker "Take these pills and go away" type). They tell your brain you're happy and full. Now all we need to do is beat her doctor into either a) Adjusting the meds or b) (my preferrence) Addressing the problem properly and getting her off the meds altogether.

I may have to go and read the riot act at the doctors again soon. Last time I had to do this it was over tonsilitis. They said there was nothing wrong, the ENT speciallist I insisted on them referring her to admitted her to hospital for three days on IV antibiotics.

How is this useful? Well, it doesn't seem they have properly established if this is a physiological problem (as in can't eat/eating is uncomfortable) or a psychological problem (doesn't want to eat).

I DO know that ketones make you feel sick.

msgander
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:52 - 02 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

poor girl, I spent 5 years being labelled as eating disorder etc, painfully thin and loved food but it made me feel sick at the mere thought of it, oh and YES this developed partionally into a phobia of food as my no. one existing phobia was throwing up!!!

Damn doctors dont know a thing, it was staring them in the face!!!! - blood test results even showed it. THey missed it, FORGOT to tell me!! for 5 YEARS!!

My nausea (very extreme) was caused by a combination of endometriosis and Pelvic Inflammatory Disease. Not sure if your sister is sexually active, but should be checked out, and also get her doctor to think about the endo route....it is prime suspect in endometreosis, I had NO other symptoms, no pain nothing!

msgander
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:54 - 02 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

agree with post above mine! - totally correct!

If she can look in a mirror and say god I am thin! then she is not anorexic! - if she thinks she looks fat then she is.

Anorexic and eating disorders are secretive things and your family would know if she is hiding things from them.....try not treating her like one and trying to say that you understand she is just feeling ill not necessarily an eating disorder.....

Mary Jane
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:41 - 03 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm... Maybe it's an eating disorder, and maybe it's not.

Just yesterday, every time I ate something, I felt really ill. No other symptoms, no woosiness, no fever, I don't even have a head cold right now. But I felt sick.

Just finished eating lunch today, and I've got some very uncomfortable stomach pain. If I had health insurance, I'd go see a doctor, becuase I know this isn't normal. But between yesterday and today, I'm very put off by the thought of even eating anything.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 23:29 - 03 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Yes she may have an eating disorder, as someone else said if she has an issue with eating/food then she has. However its not purely that simple.
Teenage diabetics are notorious for non compliance its not an eating disorder issue but a teenage, we know it all, we can control anything and defiance of others/elders/authority and can come up with all sorts of excuses to pacify/irritate others. Wot i would suggest along side the diary is to:
Arrow encourage her to eat what she likes
Arrow eat the amount she can manage without being sick, eat often.
Arrow encouraging her to eat a few more mouthfuls more at each meal.
Arrow eat with her.
Arrow ask her what options she has, what she wants to do about it, basically give her some control. If it is an eating disorder then it may be about control.

The Eating Disorder Association has a web site which may be helpful (do a Google).
If they can't find any physical cause then referral to a psychologist will help, it might help anyway, most teenagers with health problems would benefit.
I hope this helps if you need ant more advice please get back to me. I work on an eating disorders unit, but with adults. Having two teenagers at home is enough for my nerves! Wink

Lol.
(map's prettier partner)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

brianmcewan.co.uk
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 01:44 - 04 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick wrote:
poor girl, I spent 5 years being labelled as eating disorder etc, painfully thin and loved food but it made me feel sick at the mere thought of it, oh and YES this developed partionally into a phobia of food as my no. one existing phobia was throwing up!!!

Damn doctors dont know a thing, it was staring them in the face!!!! - blood test results even showed it. THey missed it, FORGOT to tell me!! for 5 YEARS!!

My nausea (very extreme) was caused by a combination of endometriosis and Pelvic Inflammatory Disease. Not sure if your sister is sexually active, but should be checked out, and also get her doctor to think about the endo route....it is prime suspect in
endometreosis, I had NO other symptoms, no pain nothing!

My girlfriend went into the Friday before Christmas to casualty with severe pains in her stomach (she's ha gynae problems from 10, she's 17 now). Her mum has had gynae problems all her life but the doctors said have said in the past they wouldn't do anything because "she is too young to have this type of thing"... anyway she got x-rays etc in casualty and after 8 hours was emitted to the gynae ward of the hospital... they suspected it was her appendix.

Next morning she was told by the doctors she was an "immediate emergency operation patient" which to be honest scared the shit right out of me. anyway EIGHT hours later she was taken to theatre and they took out her appendix. Then they discovered there was fuck all wrong with the appendix and it was her uterus/fallopian tubes were inflamed. So the surgeon called the gynae doctor (during the operation) and told him he had to have a look but the gynae said to close her up and he'd look at it some other fucking time (he was in the same hospital on a different floor).

That pissed me off no end and I was ready to murder the cunt Evil or Very Mad

She ended up in hospital over Christmas and didn't get out until the day before New Years Eve. Even tonight she was struggling with moving around the house when I went up to hers.

So she is on a waiting list now and has suspected P.I.D.

Sorry for going off-topic. I've only heard about eating disorders thankfully I haven't experienced any in the family, hope you get it sorted out soon and wish her well. Karma Thumbs Up

Racheldawn
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:54 - 16 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope she is getting better now.

She may not be intentionally not eating but genuinely feels sick. She could be depressed, I find when I have a problem in life I feel sick and cant eat. I remember a period when I was the same age, I didnt eat for a while. I talked through what was affecting me and I got better. Most eating problems are pyschological.

nc30 chick
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:08 - 17 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like she has developed a phobia about eating, this happened to me when I was about 13 but I wasnt diabetic. I went through 18 months of not eating hardly anything. Doctors gave me anti-sickness drugs to counteract but it was more of a pshychological thing by then. She has associated food with feeling sick and I would probably suggest she seeks professional help to see if this has to do with something like depression or maybe there is a clinical reason for it which the camera will show. Mine started with illness and cascaded from there. It took councellors and a lot of time and patience before I started to eat again. My weight was dangerously low and I knew it but my brain would not let me eat. Talk to your sister with care and understanding to try to see if she will open up to you.
Good luck.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 104 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1