Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cheapest way to get to Spain.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

trevoriv
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 04 Jan 2007    Post subject: Cheapest way to get to Spain. Reply with quote

Right, i know the cheapest way would probably be dover to calais and then ride down through France and down into spain.

However i dont fancy the ride through france or over the mountains, i just want to blast through spain to the southern caost to meet my parents at their gaff. I have seen a return ferry from plymouth to bilboa for around £269 for me and the bike, does that sound reasonable?

Ive never ridden my bike much further south than manchester so its gonna be something new to me, any advice for a riding in spain?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Handsome
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 04 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swim or hide in a Box..... Thumbs Up

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 20:46 - 04 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liverpool to Madrid via SleezyJet (sorry that's easyYet) for around £50 and sort out bike when get there?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:02 - 04 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

hagg a lift with that European track days company they transport your bike from the UK to Cadiz or something in spain where you play about on track for 4 days includes hotel for £900 , if you are in it for bike transport only you may be able to haggle a much lower price £150 and a £50 easy jet flight = easy! ,
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 21:29 - 04 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit up in the air whether riding through France is cheaper at all. A lot of it depends on your fuel consumption tyre wear and accomodation preferences.

Book a ferry well in advance for the cheapest price. Three main companies operate to Spain iirc - Brittany Ferries, P&O and AT Ferries, when I booked Brittany was the most expensive and AT the cheapest.

Make sure you ring up for a quote as there is sometimes a promotional offer going which you won't get (or even be aware of) if you book online.

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 00:45 - 05 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.aferry.to

Goto the above site. I've just been pricing up tickets for Portsmouth to Bilbao for £174 return (AT Ferries). 2 berth cabin outward and return journeys.

Hurry, the deals won't last long.

Cost through France is:
Ferry (£35-45)
1 days hard ride (£65 petrol)
and therefore
1 nights accomodation (£20)
You also will require an extra days travel (since you sleep on the ferry and therefore arrive fresh at the top of Spain).

Total:
Dover/Calais Ferry - £240 return
Porstmouth/Bilbao - £174 return

Hope that helped.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:06 - 05 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get a return ticket for around the £200 mark then it will definitely be cheaper to get the direct ferry. If you'd be paying nearer £400 then it's cheaper to ride down, but of course you have the massive discomfort that's involved.

Why don't you want to ride "over the mountains"? The Pyrenees contain some of the best riding you'll ever experience! Fantastic views, fantastic twisty roads free of traffic...

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:59 - 05 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd double petrol and tyre costs though Trev's riding style is very fast and rev the bollox off the 636 all the time.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:51 - 05 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nath wrote:
Why don't you want to ride "over the mountains"? The Pyrenees contain some of the best riding you'll ever experience! Fantastic views, fantastic twisty roads free of traffic...
Agreed! The Pyrenees are absolutely fan-bloody-tastic. Stop in Andorra and get some cheap motorcycle gear as well.

Though it does add a couple of days needlessly to the trip.

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 12:56 - 05 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The roads around Andorra can be congested as hell though, I regret not taking another route through the Pyrennes.

Still good roads though, I agree the Alps/Pyrennes ranges are usually one of the most fun bits of trips, seeing the mountains getting bigger until they are looming in front of you is always exciting. Smile

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:29 - 05 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a good way to locate nice roads, look on the map for the highest passes you can find. I got one which I think was 2200m ish. Very nice. Lots of lovely corners. I have to go back there soon.

trevoriv
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:24 - 05 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers kids, looks like that £269 is a good deal, will give em a ring see if i can get it slightly cheaper although i think im going when its half-term thus prices may be that bit higher.

Would love to go through the pyrenees but this is my first time riding abroad so i dont want to tour i just want to get to Mazarron in southern Spain as cheaply/quickly as possible on the bike.

Itchy im going to be cruising on the motorway for most of it in fuel saving mode Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

motoman
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 08:56 - 06 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've just booked portsmouth-bilbao for £172 in june (acciona ferries)

Itchy im going to be cruising on the motorway for most of it in fuel saving mode
some of the spanish motorways are toll roads payed per km!

trevoriv
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:16 - 06 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty cheap motoman, will have a look around at that route.

I assumed there would be toll roads. Still trying find out where and how much!

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 15:24 - 06 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relax, I only remember using one toll road in 3000 miles of Spain on my trip last summer, that was the Costa Del Sol motorway in order to avoid the congested alternative.

Chances are that going to Murcia you won't have to use one, most Spanish motorways are free and if there is a toll road there's usually a reasonable alternative running parallel.

Spanish a-roads are very good and fast anyway, if they're more direct use them Thumbs Up

JGY6000
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:23 - 06 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i took the ferry from portsmouth to bilbao, stayed the night in bilbao and set of the next dat at 9ish i was at home in murcia at 9pm

same on the way back up set of at 6ish in the morning and was waiting at the ferry at 4-5pm Very Happy

trevoriv
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 07 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response kiddies Smile just had a word with my dad and he said he's only ever come across one toll mway and it was 1.49 euros Very Happy

quik_d
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 23:09 - 09 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going the opposite way and catching the ferry from Bilbao to portsmouth; i got it for £95 with the cancellation insurance thrown in. i'm suprised the opposite way is near double?

With acciona (at ferries)

motoman
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 00:37 - 10 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="quik_d" i'm suprised the opposite way is near double?

With acciona (at ferries)[/quote]

my price is for a return journey portsmouth-bilbao..£172

Modo
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 05:08 - 11 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are toll roads in Spain

https://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/overseas/european_tolls_results.jsp?country=Spain

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:20 - 11 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like AT ferries have stopped their deal for the moment. You may still be able to get it cheap if booking for a trip in late summer, but all the ones I have been looking at are back to £270 return.

greatmoorred
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:30 - 14 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isnt there a ferry to santander from portsmouth ?
Might be worth a look.

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:55 - 16 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

greatmoorred wrote:
Isnt there a ferry to santander from portsmouth ?
Might be worth a look.
It appears to be more expensive than the portsmouth - bilbao route. Oh well, I'm going to run through france, its a good excuse to visit friends in Montpellier. If anyone does find a cheap route direct to Spain please post.

Jamie S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 27 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

might take a while but the cheapest way to get there is walking

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:42 - 27 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamie stokes wrote:
might take a while but the cheapest way to get there is walking
Not when you factor in accomodation costs. Sorry bud.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 95 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2