Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Help with planning a trip to france!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

RstredS
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:10 - 05 Mar 2007    Post subject: Help with planning a trip to france! Reply with quote

Ok people, some advice is needed from you touring guru's!

Im planning a trip down to the pyreneese with a mate, planned for august this year.

Firstly, whats the weather like down there in august?

Im doing dover to calais, gonna stop half way, in mid france after about 400 miles, and ideas where?

Ive found the place i want to stay, its on the east of the mountaines on the med coast. Whats the best routes down there?

I want to get there fairly quick, but fun roads would be a bonus!

any other tips?

Thanks for any help. carl.

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:13 - 06 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at this post from maurice, I took alot of these routes when I came down last year and they were great... they'll take you further over into the French Riviera nice/antibes area, but then you can ride west along the coast which will be a nice little trip.

The weather in August in the South of France will be almost too hot! try to wear good summer gear like a vented/mesh jacket and some light gloves or you'll suffer. Sounds obvious but bring some good sunglasses and you can ride with your visor open which helps alot.

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:01 - 09 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wish to get there quickly from Calais (the cheap ferries) then I will suggest my favourite motorway...A75. That still means covering the top 2/3 of France, for which I just take the boring motorway and zip through quickly. You could easily find some nice A roads. Particularly south of Le Mans was good. Just not really worth going that way specifically for.

Winding down from Claremont-Ferrand, it is the best motorway in the world. It changes height from 300m to >1200m many times whilst twisting this way and that. Its certainly my preferred method of making the Med. If you really don't have the day and a half required to make the Pyrenese comfortably, then sail direct to Bilbao from Portsmouth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 01:23 - 10 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

natv4 wrote:
Winding down from Claremont-Ferrand, it is the best motorway in the world. It changes height from 300m to >1200m many times whilst twisting this way and that. Its certainly my preferred method of making the Med.

I totally agree with this. That bit of motorway has to be ridden to be believed and it will take you all the way to the amazing bridge at Millau if you want to go that far Thumbs Up

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:41 - 10 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did Spain on my Honda Bros, I went all the way down to the pyrenees using only 'N' and 'D' roads, and on the few toll-free motorways. Can't remember what mileage I did on the first day, but it was over half way there "Brive la Gallarde", to the south of Limoges.

Weather in August should be scorching hot! Cool
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 53 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1