BCF: Bike Chat Forums

homemade bike stand

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bullet
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:54 - 05 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good mate, can i sugest some sort of adaptor to fit to the top of it so it can be used for other types of bikes, if like you say its strong enough for the weight a simple braket to secure to the swingarm pivot or rearset pegs, and an strut to the sump or exhaust to support the front and it'd lift sportsbikes aswell Thumbs Up

Barry_M2
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:28 - 05 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you fancy making a full size table lift for me if I give you the plans and pay for materials and your time?

Wink Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ncrn
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:04 - 05 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bullet wrote:
looks good mate, can i sugest some sort of adaptor to fit to the top of it so it can be used for other types of bikes, if like you say its strong enough for the weight a simple braket to secure to the swingarm pivot or rearset pegs, and an strut to the sump or exhaust to support the front and it'd lift sportsbikes aswell Thumbs Up

If you could do some kind of system like that, I'd buy one Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

derbi x-treme
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:48 - 05 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies really appreciate it. im afraid i dont think i'll be making any more myself but if you guys think it is a good design then i may well try and get in touch with a company that would consider manufacturing it. its still not quite finished im afraid as i ve been away for a couple of days at uni open day ive got half of it primed and ready for paint but i think i will need some more primer. i'll post up pitures tomorow although it wont be quite finished, that should be about sunday

thanks

cqueen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 05 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Thumbs Up
You should do a pimped up version and present it to 'machine mart' or something.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:59 - 05 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry_MC21 wrote:
Do you fancy making a full size table lift for me if I give you the plans and pay for materials and your time?

Very much doubt I'll have the time, but I do have some plans to make a fancy table lift style thing. I have many plans and few get executed, so don't hold your breath, however if it's easy I could be tempted to make more once I'd made one.

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:46 - 06 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it does get patented...
free finished products for those who originally suggested it, right? Wink
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith

derbi x-treme
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:53 - 15 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

right sorry for the slow progress been pretty busy lately but ive got it all primed and painted and its come out with a really nice finish. i only finished final coat today so have to let it dry for 24 hours before rubbing it down for laquer. so should be laquered by tomorow and assembled either late tomorow night or tuesday. then all i got to do is put padding on the seat. so pics coming monday or tuesday Wink

derbi x-treme
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:19 - 16 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

isnt laquered yet but i thought i'd post up a few pics to keep u posted theyre off my phone so arnt great

well heres all the components now ive just left them in the sun and will laquer them tonight or tomorow

https://img144.imageshack.us/img144/9100/picture5045en8.jpg

https://img214.imageshack.us/img214/75/picture0746vv9.jpg

https://img135.imageshack.us/img135/3104/picture0047ez6.jpg

https://img144.imageshack.us/img144/9413/picture6040pe7.jpg

https://img144.imageshack.us/img144/3577/picture0748ja7.jpg

https://img135.imageshack.us/img135/7185/picture0036hr6.jpg

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 16 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive! As a marketable product it's got some definite potential, scope out similar products and see if yours is better, and if it looks promising I'd go and talk to Machine Mart, and present that as a working prototype. You'd also want to check out whether anything has been patented, you don't want to get in deep and then find out you're being sued. Laughing

Jamie S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:51 - 16 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie wrote:
go and talk to Machine Mart, and present that as a working prototype.

what ever you do, DO NOT go to machine mart they already make a product like this.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cml2-hydraulic-motorcycle-lift

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/images/library/products/medium/020110392.jpg

derbi x-treme
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:13 - 16 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh shit aint never seen that one before the only one ive seen that uses a hydraulic jack is this one https://pitposse.stores.yahoo.net/moscli.html

that one youve shown does work on a similar principal to mine but it looks as if it doesnt lift very high at all and hasnt got some of the extras

CoronaBoner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 16 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming on nice Cool Thumbs Up

Cluck cluck chicken

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:37 - 16 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamie stokes wrote:

what ever you do, DO NOT go to machine mart they already make a product like this.

Brick Wall Sorry, where's the seat on that one? The point of this isn't that it's a brand new idea, it's an innovative adjustment of an existing idea. And you either need a new idea, or an existing idea which you've made better, to sell a product.

phk6
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:19 - 16 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

as an engineer id say youve made a good job of that, just ensure you have the bike at its ballence point and if possible secure he load my other means

ie tieing a rope round it and hang it round a beam in your gargae if poss

also mabe make a block to go under the main area of preasure incase your jack fails.

apart from that it looks very good youve made an excellent stand
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

derbi x-treme
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:48 - 16 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks alot for the comments and as for the block as a fail safe ive already got a slightly different system. i done some pics to try and show how they work

heres a diagram:

as the lifting arms go up the locking arm clicks over the metal blocks and then you can release the jack and the locking arm will jam against the block. ive circled the metal blocks in blue and drawn a litttle diagram. itll be assembled by tomorow so can get real pictures.

https://img239.imageshack.us/img239/7408/untitledruv6.jpg

https://img129.imageshack.us/img129/6021/untitleddb3.jpg

phk6
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:32 - 16 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey thats pritty good fella, keep up the good work Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

derbi x-treme
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:05 - 17 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok well laquer isnt even dry yet but i thought id put it together nyway lol and get some pics. only thing i need to do now is put padding and a cover on the seat and put plastic plugs in the end of all the pieces of metal.

if anyone wants me to explain anything on it or get some more pics feel free to asks cos the pictures dont make it that clear.

here it is with a few bits missin
https://img386.imageshack.us/img386/1870/picture05542ot9.jpg
here it is with the seat and tool tray on
https://img238.imageshack.us/img238/1705/picture40045ga6.jpg

CoronaBoner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 17 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one mate, really turned out nice. Smile

Don't see my flexi light idea though Crying or Very sad

Cluck cluck chicken

derbi x-treme
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:57 - 18 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did actually have a look around for one mate but i couldnt find one that was quite right unfortuntely but ive still got a week left until i have to give it in to be marked so theres still hope Very Happy

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 16:05 - 18 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's fantastic.

I hope you do make the effort to patent the idea Thumbs Up Good luck with your final grade, if you don't get an 'A' then more fool the examiner.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

derbi x-treme
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:28 - 18 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks just have to get my folder work upto the same standard now

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 15:01 - 19 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

derbi x-treme wrote:
thanks just have to get my folder work upto the same standard now

Not got long now... two weeks?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:51 - 21 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

What stops the bike falling off the lift from a metre high Shocked

the feet look like they'd damage a painted garage floor...

I'll stick with my car jack(£10) and stool from poundland for the GPZ

I'm sure you'll get a good mark if you're folder is upto it.. I swear the amount of effort that goes into an AS/A2 level item. Isn't worth it.. better off reasoning in the protfolio why you didnt put so much effort in.. get a better mark...

Or thats the way it seemed to me..

Mayb I was just envious of people tat that did better than mine Crying or Very sad

derbi x-treme
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:57 - 21 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i got nylon inserts for the feet so they wont damage floors. as for the bike falling off the stand i thought about it when designing but after looking at all the existing designs and finding they didnt have anything to prevent this i thought the bikes weight would just keep it stable. and after testing ive found that it does because the engine cradle is quite wide and stable. so you'd have to take a run up push it off lol. but you could always just put a strap around the bike and the lifting platform if you thought it may be unsteady
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 10 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3