BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Nurburg ring?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:18 - 03 May 2007    Post subject: Nurburg ring? Reply with quote

Is it worth it? , I found the way via interesting roads cross referenced by google earth , and it looks like a 7 hour ride (TWO say it can be done in 4 hours to get there from Calais but adding in my entertaining routes the lack of hyper bikes means I'm putting 7 hours down for it),

is it worth going? , considering its like 100EU a go or something and will cost virtually a whole day.

Question is what route to take south downwards into France/Austria on the way, there are tons of green routes in my Michelin map, but I can't decide which, (maybe follow maurice's route backwards?).

As this possibly means I'll miss the N75 or was it 78 on the way down , but curving back into France allows some N85 action.

Any thoughts

Ta
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:20 - 03 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as cost goes, I think it's around €7 a lap.

Yeti
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:24 - 03 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes deffinently worth it. I dont know where you got those prices from but rookie is right it is around 7 euros a lap. When we went we rode the road from spa to auchen before heading over to the track. It takes you on part of the old spa race track and is an awesome road but i cant remember the name of it.

If you wana do the ring then my advise would be to go on a sunday morning as they do bike only on a sunday morning at least they used to, im not sure if it has changed. It can be quite hairy out there when youve got a load of nutters in cars sticking it in sideways but is ok as long as you stay alert.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:31 - 03 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um ok , I think I quoted a weekly rate or something , I've been reading through Maurice's central Europe thing , think I'll do that one minus austria (if possible)
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 13:59 - 03 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did a crappy autobahn route from Southern Germany to the ring, you want to ride through the black forest area, supposed to be good riding. It was 15 euros a lap iirc, however, some days it isn't open at all, and most days it's open is an evening session.

Weekends are usually most of the day but you really need to check the website to avoid dissapointment. They often have events on.

99% of the drivers are very considerate to bikes, but you need to stay sharp for that 1%. I had a someone in a Cosworth dive under me as I was turning into a corner, forcing me to lift up, but generally they are good.

It's definitely worth going to do a few laps at least, great fun nailing other cars and bikes on track at the same time and having little races with people.

h00dwink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:32 - 04 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's something i'm tempted to do sometime this year. would be a laugh to spend the weekend there.

Parmo Paul
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:37 - 07 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember that your insurance will not cover you if you have an accident on the 'ring. Most policies will have a clause saying they will not cover use on unrestricted public toll roads.... of which the 'ring is the only one in Europe, though my Elephant car policy explicitly states the Nurburgring by name.

So dont crash Thumbs Up

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:03 - 08 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

h00dwink wrote:
it's something i'm tempted to do sometime this year. would be a laugh to spend the weekend there.

Its alledged on motorways to be 4 hours from Calais, it looks miles away but isn't, maybe you should follow me there for a quick spin , and go back to the UK , while I head down south to the Med?

and check out you anyway living virtually next to dover!

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:07 - 08 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parmo Paul wrote:
Just remember that your insurance will not cover you if you have an accident on the 'ring. Most policies will have a clause saying they will not cover use on unrestricted public toll roads.... of which the 'ring is the only one in Europe, though my Elephant car policy explicitly states the Nurburgring by name.

So dont crash Thumbs Up

Confused

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian

PostPosted: 08:28 - 08 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

put it on the back of a truck and dump it on a different road Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Modo
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:13 - 11 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

This interests me greatly Mr. Green this is something I definatly want to do Thumbs Up

Ant
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 11 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm making the trip on thursday so i'll let you know when i get back (i hope it will be worth it!!)

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:52 - 11 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parmo Paul wrote:

So dont crash Thumbs Up
I hear that a lot of people crash on the road just outside the ring...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Hassan_i_sabbah
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:19 - 21 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

just try not to come off your bike, they charge 100 euros if they have to clear the track.
but yeah i went round it in my mates Evo and it was great fun!

Gary M
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:26 - 27 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok my view is a little different it seems. I loved the ride over there, but as for doing the Ring itself - I did it on an open day, ie. cars were going round at the same time, and it felt downright dangerous. Didn't enjoy it at all. I got carved up three times by cars, one of them missing my front wheel as he cut across me into a corner by a matter of inches. It was so unenjoyable that I didn't do the second lap that I had already paid for. I found I spent most of the lap watching my mirrors for w*nkers coming up from behind to try and kill me...

Just thought I'd balance the debate up a bit. The road up to Aachen from Nurburg is stunning tho...

Ant
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 27 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found the ring a bit scary too, it's best to go out when its a bit quieter! But i agree with you on the roads, we went upto Aachen both days for some lunch, it's derenitly worth having a ride around when your there rather than just doing the ring!

sanchezz_182
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:53 - 27 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

im looking to go in a few weeks time, as part of my touring trip. so anyone riding over in about a months time gimi a shout.

ring does look a bit scary but i think thats half of its apeal to me.. Laughing

Ant
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:28 - 28 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

sanchezz_182 wrote:

ring does look a bit scary but i think thats half of its apeal to me.. Laughing

It's okay after a lap or two, once you've got a vauge idea of where the track goes (over 100 laps to learn it). Oh and make sure it's open on a public day (before you travel)

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:34 - 28 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parmo Paul wrote:
Just remember that your insurance will not cover you if you have an accident on the 'ring.

Is that won't cover you fully comp, or won't cover you at all - ie not TPO cover?

Andy99
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:10 - 29 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'ring is a fantastic piece of road i love the place Very Happy
From calais you're looking at 300 miles (ish) and takes 4-4.5 hours. 64 euros gets you a 4 lap ticket (19 for a single). All the tourist sessions are totally open ie cars,bikes,buses etc as has been said make sure it's open. I've found it's best to pick a few days during the week when it's open afternoons as there's loads less traffic about.
For your first few laps look in your mirrors constantly if anyone catches you (they will unless you are a total nutter Smile) move to the right and indicate. I've done laps both on bikes and in cars and find bikes scary to go past if they're not indicating.
As for insurance if the 'ring is named as an exclusion you are not insured and they will try to claim any 3rd party cost back from you.If your policy mentions unrestricted toll roads you might get away with it as the 'ring has speed limits in a couple of sections, don't phone them up and ask most companies will just instantly say 'No' and put a note on your file.For more info start at Ben's site hereit's got loads. Sorry if you already knew some of this Very Happy

Just call me General Crazypaws.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 119 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1