Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Eighth biker dies

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

plymwebed
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:46 - 20 Jun 2007    Post subject: Eighth biker dies Reply with quote

Eight bikers have been killed on roads in and around Plymouth this year. In the whole of last year there were no fatalities. Go to https://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=181429&command=displayContent&sourceNode=229968&home=yes&more_nodeId1=133174&contentPK=17611729 for the full report[/url]

tonshar
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:07 - 20 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is so sad to hear...

My thoughts go out to the families involved

R.I.P
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 20 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not trying to be insensitive but are you going to start a new thread every time someone in your area dies on a bike ?

Barry_M2
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:52 - 20 Jun 2007    Post subject: Re: Eighth biker dies Reply with quote

plymwebed wrote:
Eight bikers have been killed on roads in and around Plymouth this year. In the whole of last year there were no fatalities. Go to https://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=181429&command=displayContent&sourceNode=229968&home=yes&more_nodeId1=133174&contentPK=17611729 for the full report[/url]

Not sure how everyone else feels on this, but me, I dont really want to be told everytime some random biker dies, which is why I never post in these sort of threads.

I use this site as biking is my hobby / passion, not to find out the latest death toll or be told that biking is dangerous.

Thankyou.

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:25 - 20 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will you lighten up you insuferable Weerie Wullies?

Getting killed on a bike seems to be an important part of the game.

It is not pleasing to read but it's worthwhile to have knowledge of it.

Find out what went wrong and try not to follow the mistakes made.

Or stick your heads up your collective arses and batter on.

We will read about you maybe heaven forbid. Karma

It will not stop me using a bike but it will make me think.

fenton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:42 - 21 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many is that now up on last years figures? I didnt bother to click the link because its always the same .... middle aged man killed in RTA. My thoughts go out to his friends and familly, cant imagine what theyre going through.

Fenton Karma Thumbs Up

CBR400RR NC29 ( '06 - '09 )... TL1000 RK1 ( '10 - present )
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:40 - 21 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remind me not to ride my bike in plymouth.... Shocked

Barry_M2
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:34 - 21 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:

I totally dissagree. I'd rather not know about people being killed in RTA's thanks. And I fail to see how you can learn from it!? Confused

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:21 - 21 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry_MC21 wrote:
Walloper wrote:

I totally dissagree. I'd rather not know about people being killed in RTA's thanks. And I fail to see how you can learn from it!? Confused

Shocked

You're pulling my leg. Laughing

Ya wee minx ye.

Barry_M2
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 21 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:
Shocked

Ya wee minx ye.

No, not at all. In the 15 years I've been riding, I can honestly say I've never learned anything from reading about a bike crash, or being told about one happening.

I understand where your coming from, but for me, it's not the way I learn.

But as I like to say, everyone is different and has different opinions. Just yours is wrong! Wink Laughing

Thumbs Up

johns
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:19 - 21 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikeing is good and cool not dangerous bike are better then cars do last bike do Thumbs Up Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 13:23 - 21 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

johns wrote:
bikeing is good and cool not dangerous bike are better then cars do last bike do Thumbs Up Cool

Do they even teach basic English in schools anymore? How someone can type that out and think it is a reasonably well formed piece of writing is beyond me.

Joe (In Grandad mode)

Syx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:35 - 21 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamie:
Whilst I'm usually indifferent to these kind of threads, I feel that rating the initial post as 'boring' is very insensitive. I'm sure if there was a thread on here about you being in an accident (god forbid - I would never wish that on anyone) you wouldn't take kindly to it being rated as such. Thumbs Down

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:42 - 21 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owdamer wrote:
Remind me not to ride my bike in plymouth.... Shocked

tons of cameras , tons of drunken navy types, enourmous biking clans , a group / clan outside is 10-20 riders tops , there are at least 4 real clans of 200 members each in and around plymouth with multiple chapters, my clan was a small one which merged with another one , and becmae an enourmous one which split.

Ah the heady days of 2005 when we invaded a small village of <200 people with 127 bikes and 25 others who were not riding with us, we got split up into 4 groups , man I miss my old clan. Crying or Very sad

Its a bikers town , looking at the numbers that turn to paignton bike nites and the mega ride AND Captain Jaspers on a Sunday , you can tell ,

and oh plymouth is speed camera capital of the UK (you'll think it is anyway tons of the things).
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

FZ-streetfighter-gav
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:54 - 21 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry but by the damage of the van he gotta been speeding on the bike

Kwaks
I'm not a fast rider

PostPosted: 23:36 - 21 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh shit, 8 deaths, gonnae give up my bike and buy a horse... no wait thats 21 x more dangerous Shocked Wink

iloveriding
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:15 - 22 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of see both side's to this, Yes maybe we could learn something about safety and dangerous areas for biker's and yes it is depressing and some dont want to know about all the bad news, We dont hear of all the cars that take lives every year or how many fishermen (sea or fresh water) die every year.
May be the moderator could make a new sub forum just for bikers bad news??
Tony

Jamie S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:31 - 22 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syx wrote:
jamie:
Whilst I'm usually indifferent to these kind of threads, I feel that rating the initial post as 'boring' is very insensitive. I'm sure if there was a thread on here about you being in an accident (god forbid - I would never wish that on anyone) you wouldn't take kindly to it being rated as such. Thumbs Down

Its the fact that he feels he HAS to inform us of EVERY death in his area , and TBH I could do the same if I really wanted to (There was one killed a few miles away from here not to long ago) But I don't do a post about them because I my self am a biker like the rest of you and don't really need people saying that its dangerous or oh look this is what happens when you come off , I ride motorbikes because I love them , the only thing that will EVER stop me getting on my bike is when I'm to old and crippled to get my leg over the seat.

Don't take that as a flame Syx, because its not , I was just explaining my rating to you.

Thumbs Up

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:00 - 22 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry_MC21 wrote:
Walloper wrote:
Shocked

Ya wee minx ye.

No, not at all. In the 15 years I've been riding, I can honestly say I've never learned anything from reading about a bike crash, or being told about one happening.

I understand where your coming from, but for me, it's not the way I learn.

But as I like to say, everyone is different and has different opinions. Just yours is wrong! Wink Laughing

Thumbs Up

If you were to hear of someone getting killed on a bike you would not be interested to find out why?

There is a known defect on a stretch of road/a bike/a style of riding.

Questions about any incident will provide answers.
From this we learn.

You did not learn to stay alive on a bike by instinct alone.

If you say you did you are a durty big Fibber.

You learn from others who have gone before you.

Or don't and maybe join them.

Not saying right or wrong.

Some learn some do not.

Barry_M2
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:23 - 22 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:
If you were to hear of someone getting killed on a bike you would not be interested to find out why?

No, wouldn't interest me at all. I'm being honest.

I HATE hearing about people being killed on a bike, I'd rather not know. I've always been like that, 16 years + now.

I consider myself an experienced rider, none of which was gained from knowing how others had crashed.

Thumbs Up

CortezTheKill...
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 23:10 - 22 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I find them a smack in the face, which is what you need a bit from time to time to make you remember that hooning around the twisties can be very dangerous. Maybe it's just because I've got a wife and boy who I don't want to leave behind.

Fully understand why people might not want to see them, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

polarman
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:16 - 23 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Everready wrote:
I'm not trying to be insensitive but are you going to start a new thread every time someone in your area dies on a bike ?

Looks like it:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=117645

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:40 - 23 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry_MC21 wrote:
Walloper wrote:

No, wouldn't interest me at all. I'm being honest.

I HATE hearing about people being killed on a bike, I'd rather not know. I've always been like that, 16 years + now.

I consider myself an experienced rider, none of which was gained from knowing how others had crashed.

Thumbs Up

Not that I do not believe you.
It's just difficult to do so.

You cannot ride a modern motorcycle and not have the benifit of experience. (Modern as in Post WWII.)

You just do not realize what's went before you and how it has forced changes. (Subtle and Drastic.)

You probable have that sissy hydraulic disc brake system and foolish gas/fluid dampened suspension on your bike.

All that has had at least something to do with other's encounters with danger and death.

froggeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:30 - 01 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest some people wnt these threads, and some people don't. The dumbest people are the ones who don't yet disregard the fairly obvious title to take the time to post a reply, and/or rate the post down.

rip.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 306 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1