|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Gazdaman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Gazdaman I did a trackday!!!

Joined: 12 Aug 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 11:05 - 14 Mar 2008 Post subject: Haggling with a dealer rather than an individual |
 |
|
Right, today I'll be making an offer on a KLR 250.
It's up for £800, but I've never bought a bike from a dealer, so I'm not sure which buttons to push or how far I can push it.
The guy isn't necessarily a dealer, he's a breaker, but does have around 25 bikes for sale.
The KLR will have a fresh MOT, which is his major haggling point, it's got 14k miles on it, and the engine sounds good. Starts fine from cold.
Bad points, it's generally tatty, he had to weld up a hole in the (fairly rusty) exhaust to pass the MOT. Chain and sprockets are knackered, left fork seal's gone, gaitors could do with replacing. and it needs a general paint.
If I can get it for £650 I'll be happy. I'd say he'll easily accept £700, because I can throw in that C&S is £80, and it needs a clutch lever etc.
Bare in mind I also need the guy to deliver it, so I don't wanna take the piss tooo badly.
Which points should I be picking apart in order for him to drop the price enough? If I list the things wrong with it, and try and subtract that from the asking, it'll only put the price at about £675.
But obviously I don't want to start with that offer. If I offer £500, there's no grounds for me offering that low, considering the bike is as good mechanically as it is.
Gaz |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Polo |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Polo World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 Sep 2007 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 11:07 - 14 Mar 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
Sounds like you have it all thought out to be honest.  ____________________ My mum smells your fingers |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| UnknownStuntm... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 UnknownStuntm... World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Sep 2007 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Finglonga |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Finglonga World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Gazdaman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Gazdaman I did a trackday!!!

Joined: 12 Aug 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Finglonga |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Finglonga World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Gazdaman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Gazdaman I did a trackday!!!

Joined: 12 Aug 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| sickpup |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 sickpup Old Timer

Joined: 21 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Eddie Hitler |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Eddie Hitler World Chat Champion

Joined: 06 Nov 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:54 - 14 Mar 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
Ouch..  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Shaane |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Shaane World Chat Champion

Joined: 28 Jul 2007 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 13:56 - 14 Mar 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
Ask yourself if its worth it mate, If it is.. Then fair enough  ____________________ EMRA Roadstock #92 - Paperwork Permitted.
Previous: 1992 DT125R
Current: ~ 2005 ZX6R C1H |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Gazdaman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Gazdaman I did a trackday!!!

Joined: 12 Aug 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| UnknownStuntm... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 UnknownStuntm... World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Sep 2007 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Gazdaman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Gazdaman I did a trackday!!!

Joined: 12 Aug 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Gazdaman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Gazdaman I did a trackday!!!

Joined: 12 Aug 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Harold_Shand |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Harold_Shand World Chat Champion

Joined: 07 Jun 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| fredsredhat |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 fredsredhat Traffic Copper

Joined: 11 Sep 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Gazdaman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Gazdaman I did a trackday!!!

Joined: 12 Aug 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 13:08 - 15 Mar 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
It wasn't the money that was the issue, I was banking on having the MOT. If I put it through an MOT and it failed needing work, it would cost me extra, on a bike that needs money spending already.
He wanted £800 to give it an MOT, and it just wasn't worth that. If you saw the bike you'd understand, just generally knackered.
But eBay came to the rescue.
1994 KLR 250 full MOT and tax, brand new exhaust, good tyres and C&S. £875. Much much better condition overall too. And comes with mirrors and indicators.
https://i23.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/e0/8c/099e_12.JPG
Chuffed.
Gaz |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Gazdaman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Gazdaman I did a trackday!!!

Joined: 12 Aug 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 13:09 - 15 Mar 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Finglonga |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Finglonga World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 14:22 - 15 Mar 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
The one you have is much better condition by the looks of it.  ____________________ Andy Sez....
F.Y.Y.F.F. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pete. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pete. Super Spammer

Joined: 22 Aug 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 14:45 - 15 Mar 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
You did well to walk away from the first one. What a dog. ____________________ a.k.a 'Geri'
132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Gazdaman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Gazdaman I did a trackday!!!

Joined: 12 Aug 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pete. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pete. Super Spammer

Joined: 22 Aug 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 09:31 - 16 Mar 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
I was looking at all the paint worn off the engine in front of the kickstart. Seems to me like someone's had a lot of trouble starting it. ____________________ a.k.a 'Geri'
132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Billd |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Billd Nova Slayer

Joined: 17 Feb 2008 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 10:30 - 16 Mar 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
Good deal Gaz. The eBay one likes a good buy  ____________________ Remember. wherever you go, there you are!!
FVMCC |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Finglonga |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Finglonga World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Gazdaman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Gazdaman I did a trackday!!!

Joined: 12 Aug 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 18 years, 205 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|